Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Re: Crazy Job Postings Part II

Community Guru
Ravindra B Member Since: Sep 27, 2015
91 of 704

How desperate can people be?

 

Proposals: 20 to 50

 

Desperate_lined.png

"Certa bonum certamen"
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
92 of 704

Updated: For giggles

 

Maybe we should re-name this thread to be something along the lines of:

 

Tangent Lovers Unite!

 

Just today we have had all these topics addressed in at least 3 posts each:

  • Amish People -  (many posts)
  • Ultra-Conservative Religions - several posts
  • Documentaries - a few posts
  • Gold Digging - 4 posts
  • Romantic Fiction Industry - several posts
  • Montreal - several posts
  • Cylons/AI - 6? posts

LOL which makes think I should make a re-cap post like this once a week in this thread. Might be insightful over the long term.

 

 

Community Guru
Renata S Member Since: Jun 10, 2014
93 of 704

@Pandora H wrote:

Updated: For giggles

 

Maybe we should re-name this thread to be something along the lines of:

 

Tangent Lovers Unite!

 

Just today we have had all these topics addressed in at least 3 posts each:

  • Amish People -  (many posts)
  • Ultra-Conservative Religions - several posts
  • Documentaries - a few posts
  • Gold Digging - 4 posts
  • Romantic Fiction Industry - several posts
  • Montreal - several posts
  • Cylons/AI - 6? posts

LOL which makes think I should make a re-cap post like this once a week in this thread. Might be insightful over the long term.

 

 


Just a small correction (sorry, occupational hazard): the Cylons/AI is not actually an Artificial intelligence. It's a Hybrid UnIntelligence, so should be abbreviated HUI (and would therefore be pronounced "hooey," as in "Scotty, the hooey seems to be acting up again today.").

Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
94 of 704

that one was not so much crazy, I found it rather sweet: the guy needed a translation for a short letter that he wanted to hand to a neighbour, name unknown, he was offering to take care of their lot/ garden in exchange for having a place to store his boat.

I really hope he got it!

a weird one: client wanted to pay USD 40 for suggesting things to do on a 3 day trip in Salzburg, Austria. hmmmmm.... why not pick up a travel guide for much less?

Community Guru
Renata S Member Since: Jun 10, 2014
95 of 704

Hi, Pandora. I'm going to make an attempt to stay on track and stick to the topic.

 

I just saw this one. The first line of the job description is as follows:

I will try and give some detail without giving away too much.

 

Oh, please, I do love a contract that unfolds like a mystery novel. 

 

 

Also seen in passing: 

 

Technology firm (network, security, software) wants a musical jingle. A dental clinic specializing in orthodontics is also looking for a jingle. And if you are a jingle writer who specializes in Hindi, Urdu or Tagalog, there are curently jobs available. 

 

 

Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
96 of 704

@Renata S wrote:

Hi, Pandora. I'm going to make an attempt to stay on track and stick to the topic.

 

I just saw this one. The first line of the job description is as follows:

I will try and give some detail without giving away too much.

 

Oh, please, I do love a contract that unfolds like a mystery novel. 

 

 

Also seen in passing: 

 

Technology firm (network, security, software) wants a musical jingle. A dental clinic specializing in orthodontics is also looking for a jingle. And if you are a jingle writer who specializes in Hindi, Urdu or Tagalog, there are curently jobs available. 

 

 


Mystery novel! LOL good one. Whats with all the music jingle jobs today? And on that note, Renata, I have no idea what you do, because your profile is private.

 

And, staying on topic - Thanks...but heck, if we want to go of on tangents, that's fine too, heh. The old Crazy Jobs thread was a little boring sometimes.

Community Guru
Renata S Member Since: Jun 10, 2014
97 of 704

@Pandora H wrote:

@Renata S wrote:

Hi, Pandora. I'm going to make an attempt to stay on track and stick to the topic.

 

I just saw this one. The first line of the job description is as follows:

I will try and give some detail without giving away too much.

 

Oh, please, I do love a contract that unfolds like a mystery novel. 

 

 

Also seen in passing: 

 

Technology firm (network, security, software) wants a musical jingle. A dental clinic specializing in orthodontics is also looking for a jingle. And if you are a jingle writer who specializes in Hindi, Urdu or Tagalog, there are curently jobs available. 

 

 


Mystery novel! LOL good one. Whats with all the music jingle jobs today? And on that note, Renata, I have no idea what you do, because your profile is private.

 

And, staying on topic - Thanks...but heck, if we want to go of on tangents, that's fine too, heh. The old Crazy Jobs thread was a little boring sometimes.


The IT jingle job showed up in my job feed. I've stopped asking why things like that happen (might be my keywords or theirs). It made me curious about what other opportunities might exist for jingle writers since I'm just sitting around waiting for instructions from a client. As for me, I mainly copyedit IT and acadmic stuff. I don't mind doing other types of work, but I don't know if I tend to get pigeon-holed because people see the words "academic" and "technical" and quietly freak out if it's a fiction contract. Also, there's whole a lot of competition for editing jobs, so these days, people are asking for very specific qualifications. I miss the Wild West days of ODesk when you could apply for just about anything and sometimes even get some things you didn't expect to land.  

Highlighted
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
98 of 704

@Renata S wrote:

@Pandora H wrote:

@Renata S wrote:

Hi, Pandora. I'm going to make an attempt to stay on track and stick to the topic.

 

I just saw this one. The first line of the job description is as follows:

I will try and give some detail without giving away too much.

 

Oh, please, I do love a contract that unfolds like a mystery novel. 

 

 

Also seen in passing: 

 

Technology firm (network, security, software) wants a musical jingle. A dental clinic specializing in orthodontics is also looking for a jingle. And if you are a jingle writer who specializes in Hindi, Urdu or Tagalog, there are curently jobs available. 

 

 


Mystery novel! LOL good one. Whats with all the music jingle jobs today? And on that note, Renata, I have no idea what you do, because your profile is private.

 

And, staying on topic - Thanks...but heck, if we want to go of on tangents, that's fine too, heh. The old Crazy Jobs thread was a little boring sometimes.


The IT jingle job showed up in my job feed. I've stopped asking why things like that happen (might be my keywords or theirs). It made me curious about what other opportunities might exist for jingle writers since I'm just sitting around waiting for instructions from a client. As for me, I mainly copyedit IT and acadmic stuff. I don't mind doing other types of work, but I don't know if I tend to get pigeon-holed because people see the words "academic" and "technical" and quietly freak out if it's a fiction contract. Also, there's whole a lot of competition for editing jobs, so these days, people are asking for very specific qualifications. I miss the Wild West days of ODesk when you could apply for just about anything and sometimes even get some things you didn't expect to land.  


 You are in a tough niche!

Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
99 of 704

Google Hangouts, Skype, and Webcams, oh my!

 

Got a new Digital Agency VA job in my feed a little while ago. It's a big job post, but during my initial scan I saw Google Hangouts (but in this context, no reason for alarm). They want to conduct the Interview over Skype, which is normal for this kind of client.

 

Not normal, and downright WTF: They want the winning freelancer to run Google Hangouts for 6 hours a day (sorta spcific schedule), with the freelancers webcam running the entire time.

 

Pay Rate: crappy. they hire a lot of 3rd world country members, and pay them peanuts.

 

Between the lines: they want someone for 6 hours each day, at probably $6.00 an hour, while the freelancer runs something really intrusive on their end, to prove they are actually at their computer. Client has MAJOR trust issues.

 

I''m seriously tempted to bid and say "yo, thats what the Upwork Time Tracker does. Do you want help hiring for this position? I'd love to give you some advice."

Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
100 of 704

Fresh in the listings is an "artist" looking for someone to design their portfolio to present to a certain late night talkshow host whose name vaguely rhymes with Reebin Mold-hair.

 

Yeah, right, dude. In ya dreams.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS