Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Crazy Job Postings Part II

Community Guru
Ray C Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
691 of 704

Wendy C wrote:

@ Ray C.,

Just because a client lists a $ 10 or $100 budget, if the job and you are worth more, the solution is educate the client.  Just like in the B&M world.

There are designers on site who are charging and earning professional rates.  Just like there are writers, programmers, etc. charging and earning professional rates. 

Yes I understand that. I am one of them. I educate my clients all the time. I'm addressing the very same thing this thread is about: Why are there so many clients who need educating and so few who seem to understand the services they are buying. I know there are more than we see on these lists which seem to be inundated with beginners and novices who have to be educated about their own business. It just seems odd that Upwork gets so much riff-raff. What I'm wondering is why do we have such a huge "crazy job postings" thread?

Ace Contributor
Laura M Member Since: May 10, 2018
692 of 704

Saw a job posting the other day for, I think, editing (maybe ghostwriting) a book but it was kinda hard to tell. The poster was writing a book about their experiences in heaven, as they had apparently died previously and spent a few weeks there, and was offering a minuscule budget, however, the freelancer would be divinely blessed were they to get this job, so win-win. 

Edit: Replied in the wrong place, oh well!

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
693 of 704

Laura M wrote:

Saw a job posting the other day for, I think, editing (maybe ghostwriting) a book but it was kinda hard to tell. The poster was writing a book about their experiences in heaven, as they had apparently died previously and spent a few weeks there, and was offering a minuscule budget, however, the freelancer would be divinely blessed were they to get this job, so win-win. 

Edit: Replied in the wrong place, oh well!

The one time when ghostwriting would be entirely appropriate. 

Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
694 of 704

Wendy C wrote:

@ Ray C.,

Just because a client lists a $ 10 or $100 budget, if the job and you are worth more, the solution is educate the client.  Just like in the B&M world.

There are designers on site who are charging and earning professional rates.  Just like there are writers, programmers, etc. charging and earning professional rates. 

I'm all for educating people on the real cost of an expert in any field, but I don't have time nor do I care to waste connects (honestly less about the connects and more about the time to prepare a proposal and then go back and forth with the client) to try and convince them that something is worth a great deal more than $5. Just for myself, personally, I find enough jobs from quality clients and have enough work (on UpWork and my own long-term clients) that if I'm going to "educate" clients, then they need to pay my hourly rate for that mentorship. 

But by all means, if it works for you, take the chance and bid on the $5 or $10 job and see if you can convince the client it's worth more. If something is working for you then keep it up. 

Community Guru
Ray C Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
695 of 704

Ravindra B wrote:

Holy cow!

“wallcome my frist post.....”

Client is from the US.

He wrote the post while he was driving and almost got into a 4 car pile up on the freeway. Give the guy a break, Ravindra! You're supposed to be reading his mind anyway! Just wallcome his frist post and fon't jeek hin qaoting! Girty! 

Community Guru
Ravindra B Member Since: Sep 27, 2015
696 of 704

Ray C wrote:

Ravindra B wrote:

Holy cow!

“wallcome my frist post.....”

Client is from the US.

He wrote the post while he was driving and almost got into a 4 car pile up on the freeway. Give the guy a break, Ravindra! You're supposed to be reading his mind anyway! Just wallcome his frist post and fon't jeek hin qaoting! Girty! 

Haha!

"Certa bonum certamen"
Community Guru
Sergio S Member Since: Dec 19, 2017
697 of 704

Tiffany S wrote:

Sounds like maybe you haven't used Upwork as a client. It's not unusual to start a job as a public posting then change it.

No, I haven't used as a client, I didn't know it was possible to change it that way. So I was wondering why Upwork had sent that one to me by e-mail as I was a good match for it while I was deprived of applying. What you say makes perfect sense.

Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
698 of 704

It's not really a crazy job post but I need some place to vent. It's past midnight and I got an invite. I'm about to answer when my toddler is having a bad dream. Five minutes later I'm back at pc from coziness of my bed and trying to answer to something I don't quite follow. So I'm explaining this in q, and there are four q, and I was hoping just to respond with super short sentence to that invite, but I kept on writing about how I need clarification about this job post. Once I clicked send I'm informed that something is wrong. Job is closed. And it was opened just an hour ago.

On the other side, other jobs I apply to or get invited are open for ages and client never  respond/hires anyone.  I'm so ughhhh now.

Victor P Member Since: Jul 24, 2017
699 of 704

Vesna

That's a great name!
Actually in the ukrainian language it means the Spring (that pleasant season of the year when birds are chirping and flowers are blooming).
I have no idea if pronunciation is the same though.

Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
700 of 704

Well, thanks  Victor. You are correct. It means spring.