Did you mean: 

Re: Crazy Job Postings Part II

Highlighted
Community Leader
Nicole H Member Since: Nov 15, 2007
711 of 734

Jennifer R wrote:

Roberto S wrote:

At first it may seem like every job posting on the translation/writing field. But this is not.

Not only the client is willing to pay 1$ for 1000 words proofread (if you are not in the field, this is 1/10th of the lowest rate in the lowest linguistic combination). But they sent out 13000 invites too. And in another job posting they sent out 16000. Obviously they hired like 30 people per post.
Basically they are exploiting Upwork flaws to leave 2-3 job postings open and they keep using those, so their 94% hiring rate won't ever go down.

**Edited for community guidelines**

You also need 6 connects because it is a 10K job.

It seems even horses need their photos touched up!

**edited for Community Guidelines**

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Nedra W Member Since: Jan 17, 2017
712 of 734

I haven't seen any posts to this thread lately, but it's one of my favorites so I'll give it a little boost.

Anyone else think it's totally ridiculous when a client that says they are a marketing strategy firm posts a job listing to have someone create a new marketing strategy for their company? I guess it's like the shoemaker's children going without shoes? Doesn't inspire much confidence in their abilities in any case!

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Filomena S Member Since: Nov 14, 2019
713 of 734

I applied for an offer to write a tourist book of 200 pages about my city. The job offer was a little bit vague but I applied anyway and asked for details. Then, I received a message with a link to a drive document with all the guidelines. At the end of the document it was written that after I write the book I could buy it (printed) with a good discount in case I wanted to place a large order to sell the book.

After I read the document I asked for clarification and then the client told me that this was an initiative to help people to write their own book and that he would pay me $20 do write it and then I could buy the books and sell them to start a career as a writer. This all was written in a way like they were doing me a huge favor and giving me the opportunity of my life.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Zeeshan M Member Since: Apr 30, 2020
714 of 734

I was tempted to bid for an adult website one last night, but then realized I have to work through incognito browser to avoid messing up my cookies. Also, not sure how it will fare on my history. 

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Cat L Member Since: Dec 13, 2019
715 of 734

One can always ask me about crazy offerings - I'm told I have 'flypapers for freaks' on my forehead.

My latest offering includes someone who got abused by an official in another country. Now this gets my back up in one quick hurry, so I agreed to communicate, read what they had.

I learned that they were married, living in this country at the time. Had an affair with an official, who promised them the world. But then, uh, they got in the family way. Came home to the States, the official broke it off. Essentially that's it.

I'm fleeing from the gig because I don't WANT to write letters/content for a subject I don't believe in. Ask any woman: I don't think you'll hear that being ditched constitutes abuse.

I also don't think you'll hear of a crazier gig!

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Cat L Member Since: Dec 13, 2019
716 of 734

Go you one worse. THAT was my first gig on Upwork - gotta have to get, ya know!

I wrote the thing - and then had many edits demanded. I deserved it. My daughter kept laughing and saying, well that's 15 now. 10 now. and finally "YOU owe THEM money!" lolol

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ravindra B Member Since: Sep 27, 2015
717 of 734

“Take an online exam for me in September

“Be willing to be paid in milestones; 50% of the money as soon as you complete the exam and 50% after the grades are announced, provided that you have passed the exam”

"Certa bonum certamen"
Highlighted
Kevin G Member Since: Apr 15, 2020
718 of 734

Someone offered $5 to babysit them while they did data entry.  My wife explained that this isn't that uncommon, but I thought it was the funniest and strangest thing to pay someone for, so naturally I submitted a proposal.  I figure, if whether they need someone to keep them on point, need someone to entertain them, or need someone to distract them, I'm qualified, and I can always use an extra $4.  Still waiting to hear back.  

Highlighted
Community Guru
Filip K Member Since: May 22, 2017
719 of 734
5 dollars per 500 words.
Bargain.
I was a Buddhist monk for 13 years and I wrote the biography of my monk life. The main theme is football or soccer. The name of my books is beautiful memories of my monk life. I have written around 28 thousand words in my book. Thank you

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
Highlighted
Salima N Member Since: Aug 13, 2020
720 of 734

Just came across this. Had to share the screenshot. 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS