Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crazy Job Postings Part II

suzi-elton
Ace Contributor
Suzi E Member Since: Nov 19, 2018
751 of 787

Gee, Renata, why are you being so greedy! LOL...I wonder if the person who wrote the job description also did the "poorly German translated romance novel". I suspect so.

renata101
Community Guru
Renata S Member Since: Jun 10, 2014
752 of 787

Suzi E wrote:

Gee, Renata, why are you being so greedy! LOL...I wonder if the person who wrote the job description also did the "poorly German translated romance novel". I suspect so.

So greedy? If you've ever had the thrill of working with particularly crappy translation, you'll understand the romance will likely be over by page 3 (if it ever does in fact get started). 

I couldn't decide whether "poorly German translated" meant translated poorly into German or translated poorly by a German into some as yet undetermined language. It's possible you might spend the first day simply trying to decipher the remit. And by the second day, it might occur to you that you don't actually speak the language it was poorly translated into. 

suzi-elton
Ace Contributor
753 of 787

Thanks so much for the giant belly laughs. I just got home from a root canal...so it was just in time!

................................."poorly German translated" meant translated poorly into German or translated poorly by a German into some as yet undetermined language

Yes it is a quandary to figure out. I was also confused by the possibilities. It makes it even harder to eagerly apply. I'm sure there will be hundreds of applicants, and you'll have to put in a very competitive bid. Maybe .001 cent an hour would do the job.

Suzi

renata101
Community Guru
Renata S Member Since: Jun 10, 2014
754 of 787

Suzi E wrote:

Thanks so much for the giant belly laughs. I just got home from a root canal...so it was just in time!

................................."poorly German translated" meant translated poorly into German or translated poorly by a German into some as yet undetermined language

Yes it is a quandary to figure out. I was also confused by the possibilities. It makes it even harder to eagerly apply. I'm sure there will be hundreds of applicants, and you'll have to put in a very competitive bid. Maybe .001 cent an hour would do the job.

Suzi

Suzi,

I wish you a speedy recovery. I know people say laughter is the best medicine. But seriously, if you've had a root canal, take whatever pain medication they gave you. 

suzi-elton
Ace Contributor
755 of 787

I don't think they gave me enough so I'm seeking solace here!

faheem955
Muhammad F Member Since: Dec 4, 2020
756 of 787

"Write 2500 words in the budget of $5 and get 5-star ratings. The budget is tight so don't apply if you don't accept the payment. But a 5-star rating is a must if you can complete the job without plagiarism."

Now you can decide if the client was buying writing services or bargaining work with 5-star ratings and some coins Smiley Very Happy

suzi-elton
Ace Contributor
757 of 787

This pinpoints the problems with the way Upwork allows clients to hold freelancers hostage for their ratings.

Once a customer understands how much they can harm a freelancer with a low rating, it's Katie bar the door! It becomes a game of how much can I screw the freelancer for some lousy pay...because the system makes the freelancer desperate to get good ratings.

And, unfortunately, the freelancer has no protection. If you make the mistake of working for one of these scammers (and some can very convincingly appear to be sane), your Job Success Score is negatively skewed LONG TERM!

Suzi

jr-translation
Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
758 of 787

Suzi E wrote:

This pinpoints the problems with the way Upwork allows clients to hold freelancers hostage for their ratings.

Once a customer understands how much they can harm a freelancer with a low rating, it's Katie bar the door! It becomes a game of how much can I screw the freelancer for some lousy pay...because the system makes the freelancer desperate to get good ratings.

And, unfortunately, the freelancer has no protection. If you make the mistake of working for one of these scammers (and some can very convincingly appear to be sane), your Job Success Score is negatively skewed LONG TERM!

Suzi

Wrong: Freelancers just have to start to read and apply the ToS. Report these clients and your problem is solved.

Screenshot_2020-12-09 Upwork Legal Center.png

suzi-elton
Ace Contributor
759 of 787

Been there. Done That. Even with the proof of such manipulation in writing from the client, I got no help from Upwork. I stand by my statement. Unfortunately, that was my experience.

Suzi

numbsain
Community Guru
Ray C Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
760 of 787

Jennifer, Those bullet points you listed are not applicable because they hardly ever threaten to give you bad feedback. They just keep asking for more and more, telling you you did it wrong when they are asking for the impossible, or scope creeping, or just milking you for more work then you agreed to do. And the other examples are either to protect the client or examples that never happen. I'm afraid Suzi is right and you are WRONG!

I too have tried contacting support when this happens and they say "it's best if you try to work it out with your client." They can't do anything to help. It's a client-centric system. And since it doesn't matter to the client if we give them a bad review they can blackmail us. And you can have 2 years of rave reviews and thrilled clients and then one of these people does this and your score drops three points overnight and takes years to recover from it. it is putting the needs of the service provider last. And treating seasoned professionals with stellar track records the same as a beginner or a disreputable freelancer.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS