Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Crazy Job Postings Part II

renata101
Community Guru
Renata S Member Since: Jun 10, 2014
41 of 772

 


RE; On the other hand, it could be that the Talent Specialists are just a lot of people who haven't been trained properly, don't have any specific HR knowledge, and are completely in the dark about what they're supposed to be doing.

 

I am going with the above.  


I think this might be the most likely scenario, but after having probed the JSS issue in some depth, I'm no longer so sure things on this platform are governed by straightforward thinkers. 

People are always talking about the wonders made possible by innovative thinking. I like the idea of condicting a thought experiment to explore just how far a "hybrid unintelligence" could really take us. I used to work in a large, convoluted organization, so I know the potential is beyond even our wildest imagnings. But then again, the fallout from innovative management approaches in large organizations also fuels things like Dilbert cartoons. I guess you can't have one without the other.   

pandoraharper
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
42 of 772

@Bojana D wrote:

All-in-one Branding, Communications and Marketing Solution, looking to hire experts. Fixed price budget $50. 

 

I facepalmed. 

 

(this was an invite, sent to me by a Talent Specialist btw - double joy)


 Oh my goodness. Double the facepalm! Oh and, nice to see you in the forums again, Bojana.

zoomconcepts
Community Guru
Bojana D Member Since: May 2, 2011
43 of 772

 Pandora H wrote:

 Oh my goodness. Double the facepalm! Oh and, nice to see you in the forums again, Bojana.


 

Thanks Smiley Happy I'm around, just doing more lurking than writing these days.

 

 

And today's jewel, not for the reasons you expect it to land here. Direct quote from the job description:

 

"I am looking for a logo designer to put on t shirts and coffee mug."

 

I'm mildly concerned.

williambernal
Community Leader
william b Member Since: Jan 3, 2015
44 of 772

Yes, the "Talent Specialist" invites/referrals are almost always worth some serious laughs!

suzi-elton
Ace Contributor
Suzi E Member Since: Nov 19, 2018
45 of 772

Yes, what is it they don't understand about a freelancer who is an expert???

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
46 of 772

 


Suzi E wrote:

Yes, what is it they don't understand about a freelancer who is an expert???


All clients  want "expert" for the lowest prices - of course they do and they try it on, and what is more they will get it (sort of) because despite the hike in the price for various services, it is not going to make any difference to the wannabe freelancers who wager their last cents on getting a job on Upwork (but who will not stay the course). It's a sort of challenge that has nothing to do with the  lasting, expert services that come at a price from genuine freelancers.  

suzi-elton
Ace Contributor
Suzi E Member Since: Nov 19, 2018
47 of 772

Thank you for the giggle. I once did a survey of previous clients (an informal thing) and what I discovered was that they wanted $3000 worth of services for $300 or less.

 

pandoraharper
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
48 of 772

Perhaps these Talent Specialists are CS team members who got promoted. Take that any way you wish. <wink>

 

Moving right along to series of job posts (same client every time), that I am just SICK of seeing.

 

Client is a NY company involved in merchent processing for a BIG Pharma brand that has been posting the same job for months now. In recent weeks, the number of new posts about the same job has skyrocketed.

 

I have NO IDEA why they can't seem to hire anyone for this position. They pay well, it sounds like a gig with a lot of opportunity, and they have good reviews. If any client who ends up in my feed needs help from Upwork Recruiters, it's THIS client. (and hence, why I combined two topics into this post).

 

More then once I've been tempted to bid casually to one of these jobs, and ask them what the deal is. But that's not my place, so meh!

 

Edit: Clarity

 

 

 

pandoraharper
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
49 of 772

Wow, just wow.

My job feed is filtered to show only US jobs, but occasionally, something slips through.

Found this UK listing today, and wow, interesting AND crazy.

UK business (appearing to be quite the large company to boot), has several jobs open related to translating a BUNCH of "adult" <cough> dating sites into different languages. Now I have no issue with this, and understand this is quite the booming business in recent years (adult dating sites, as apposed to social dating sites).


None of the job posts have content that would violate the Upwork TOS, and in general the job descriptions are quite good. So, interesting client and business. Pay rate seems decent, though I didn't bother to convert to USD.

But the crazy part is that they use Basecamp. Now, I know a lot of clients use it, and for some TINY businesses, that's ok. But if you have more then 3 employees/team members and hire remote freelancers, Basecamp is bottom of the barrel. Lacking in a bunch of features including advanced data security (my number one pet peeve about PM tools), I would not recommend Basecamp to any business. Certain individuals, maybe.

No wonder a lot of the BIG PM tools have built-in tools to migrate task data from Basecamp...AND Asana, which Upwork says is a hot skill this quarter. I used to recommend Asana, but haven't for a long time.

:facepalm

datasciencewonk
Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
50 of 772

@Pandora H wrote:

Wow, just wow.

My job feed is filtered to show only US jobs, but occasionally, something slips through.

Found this UK listing today, and wow, interesting AND crazy.

UK business (appearing to be quite the large company to boot), has several jobs open related to translating a BUNCH of "adult" <cough> dating sites into different languages. Now I have no issue with this, and understand this is quite the booming business in recent years (adult dating sites, as apposed to social dating sites).


None of the job posts have content that would violate the Upwork TOS, and in general the job descriptions are quite good. So, interesting client and business. Pay rate seems decent, though I didn't bother to convert to USD.

But the crazy part is that they use Basecamp. Now, I know a lot of clients use it, and for some TINY businesses, that's ok. But if you have more then 3 employees/team members and hire remote freelancers, Basecamp is bottom of the barrel. Lacking in a bunch of features including advanced data security (my number one pet peeve about PM tools), I would not recommend Basecamp to any business. Certain individuals, maybe.

No wonder a lot of the BIG PM tools have built-in tools to migrate task data from Basecamp...AND Asana, which Upwork says is a hot skill this quarter. I used to recommend Asana, but haven't for a long time.

:facepalm


 I hate Basecamp.

 

Ugh.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS