cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crazy Job Postings Part II

Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
631 of 658

I saw one yesterday.  $150 fixed price for 15 articles on North Dakota criminal law.  Due today at 9 am.  Really.

Community Guru
Ravindra B Member Since: Sep 27, 2015
632 of 658

US Client looking for a “Native English Speaker” to polish a blog:

2019-02-20_220747.png

"Certa bonum certamen"
Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
633 of 658

Ravindra B wrote:

US Client looking for a “Native English Speaker” to polish a blog:

2019-02-20_220747.png

that is truly hilarious and I'm stepping aside to let the many very talented word-smiths swoop in and take it on!

If anyone needs it, I can provide shoe-polish!

Community Guru
634 of 658

Mary W wrote:

I saw one yesterday.  $150 fixed price for 15 articles on North Dakota criminal law.  Due today at 9 am.  Really.

I just hope that wasn't the time he needed to be in court....

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
635 of 658

I've just had a terrific invitation (French to English translation) - invitation only - no job description at all but a $200 budget.

The client posted the job one year ago. He checked in 50 days ago. He has invited 1440 people is interviewing over 200. He has "hired" one person for $5.00, which has been "ongoing" since April last year ...

Upwork must love this sort of client to allow them to stay on board. Left to me, I would make them walk the plank.  

Community Guru
636 of 658

Nichola L wrote:

I've just had a terrific invitation (French to English translation) - invitation only - no job description at all but a $200 budget.

The client posted the job one year ago. He checked in 50 days ago. He has invited 1440 people is interviewing over 200. He has "hired" one person for $5.00, which has been "ongoing" since April last year ...

Upwork must love this sort of client to allow them to stay on board. Left to me, I would make them walk the plank.  

I say he is either a very meticulous person, or in need of medical services that are not provided on the platform...

Community Guru
Ray C Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
637 of 658

It tells me something about either my competitors or how they are being treated when my customers come at me like I’m a ne'er-do-well trying to jack them for a deposit. A guy posted a job of an undetermined scope with a budget of 10k. Then threatened to report anyone who bids 10k because he just put that price up to weed out the scammers. The implication being that no freelancer should ever charge 10k for anything and if they do they’re a scammer. This sounds like someone who has either been burned or is a burn. (on a side note he actually posted 100k but said he posted 10k. None the less, trembling with fear of being reported (for the crime of bidding the posted budget!) I bid a million, haha! kidding,)

Another logo seeker included in his job title, “(No cut and paste)” he meant no clip art. He also said he assumed designing this logo was a one hour job. And asked that we submit our concept for his logo with the bid. As if a real designer would give it that much thought without asking questions, doing research and, of course, having a contract. He also wanted the logo to depict the words in his name literally. I threw away 2 connect explaining, as politely as I could, everything that was offensive about his proposal which was everything. Did i mention the budget was $40?

If you are not already doing it, I encourage others to occasionally (if they can afford to) invest in a little client education. Think of it as an investment in the future of mankind. I may have been a little patronizing, I’m only human. But arrogant ignorance seems to be a scourge among those who have the means to get away with it and the onus is on all of us to call it out. But do it with compassion because who among us has not at some point irritated the heck out of a professional? Be honest. it’s easy to make that mistake. But when someone makes EVERY mistake possible in one job post, it warrants a little constructive slap on the wrist, I feel.

Sorry for the all bold but Helvetica Planck Thin is not a font my optic nerve appreciates. 

Community Guru
638 of 658

I don't normally waste connects on those guys BUT when I get invitation from someone who needs legal advice but "can't afford a lawyer", I take the time to explain that for me to do that would constitute the unlawful practice of law.  No idea if they even understand but it makes me feel better anyway.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
639 of 658

re: "I take the time to explain that for me to do that would constitute the unlawful practice of law."

Because you are a paralegal?

What if I did it?

Community Guru
640 of 658

Obviously, Preston, that would be illegal as well.  You cannot practice law or give legal advice if you are not a lawyer.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS