cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crazy Job Postings Part II

Muhammad F Member Since: Dec 4, 2020
761 of 768

Yes, I am already doing that but Upwork takes a few days to process things, and until that time they have already hired someone for the work.

Garry Vandeen S Member Since: Dec 4, 2020
762 of 768

There was a corker last week for voiceover artists, the audition script included a clause whereby you signed over all rights to the client to electronically duplicate your voice & use/sell it however they wished.

It was posted under the guise of helping the client "with their robotics project".

I flagged it & with the help of a fellow booth junkie & upworker who's one of the big VO guys on youtube warning people

:-     "Do not read that audition script!",      the "offer" was quickly taken down, unfortunately not before several people had applied for it though :-(

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
763 of 768

Garry:

Are you saying that you don't think a person should be able to sell the rights to use their recorded voice samples in an electronically duplicated way?

You would probably not like "The Congress" starring Robin Wright.

764 of 768

> Are you saying that you don't think a person should be able to sell the rights to use their recorded voice samples in an electronically duplicated way?

Preston,

No, selling/licensing the rights to use your voice is completely fine, & you enter into a contract to be compensated accordingly, just as Robin’s character was in the film.

The circumstances of last weeks offer were vastly different. The posting was designed to hoodwink any unwary auditioning freelancer into handing over any rights to their voice FOC, and allowing the client to "use it for any purpose". The client set out to achieve this by having the freelancer record themselves saying the "contract waiver clause", as an integral part of the requested audition script.

Community Guru
Ray C Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
765 of 768
I was once hired to play every note, bleat, screech, squeal, lip trill,
smear, multiphonic, split note, pedal tone and about a hundred other
strange effects on the trumpet to be used as samples for a band called
Rythm & Noise. Then i did the same on didgeridoo, mellophone, and a few
other instruments. I didn't care what they did with it are you telling me I
should have? Cared i mean?

I wasn't gonna use those noises anyway. Might as well share them. I figured
I was doing a good deed for some trumpet-screech-starved teenage degenerate
in some mosh pit somewhere. Maybe even save his miserable, tormented life
by expressing his angst in a double high-G splat. I'm a regular
fippalanthropist! Haha! ahem! (That would be funny to a brass player.)
766 of 768

Hi Ray,

Yep that's it, you were hired, & you entered into it knowingly.

See my reply to Preston above which goes into more detail & explains why I would imagine UpWork quickly took it down after we flagged it.

The poster had deliberately placed the contract waiver clause to be read as part of his audition script, so he wouldn't have even had to hire anyone to have use of their voice, the audition submission including the waiver would be all he would have needed to sell/use/pass on to the voice duplication company.

As a former string player I'm affraid your brass joke escaped me, maybe I was asleep as I never got as many bars rest ;-)  I did once get told that I could drink like a brass player, I took that as a great compliment!!

Ace Contributor
Nedra W Member Since: Jan 17, 2017
767 of 768

I saw this and had to share it. I assume it was autocorrect gone wrong. The posting included a sentence similar to:

"I'm pooping for someone to help me produce my first EP!"

Hopefully it was autocorrect!!!

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
768 of 768

Yet another instance of getting tripped up by autocorrect!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS