🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Crazy Job Postings
Page options
pandoraharper
Community Member

Crazy Job Postings

Folks, feel free to share crazy job postings you see. I've been wanting to create a thread like this for a while, and think it would be fun of we can keep it updated periodically.

Warning: Do not copy paste a job description, do not include a link to the post, or client details. Keep it within forum post guidlines!

Not sure what those guidelines are? Go here: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Announcements/Upwork-Community-Guidelines/td-p/3/jump-to/first-unrea...

Here's something I saw tonight:

US client, average pay under $6 per hour, no hourly hires so far, decent feedback, looking for 1 person to do:

Article Copywriting, Editing and Proofreading

Customer Service (Phone and Email)

Business Growth & Development

Blog Posting

Stand Operating Procedures Creation and Documentation

Online Research

Social Media Management

Event planning and scheduling

And finally: "Knowlege of WordPress Development, Facebook Ads, InfusionSoft, Bookkeeping, etc. a PLUS "

No mention in this posting if some of these items would be handled by other members of the team.

One word: Sheesh!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

We are closing this thread due to its size. Feel free to visit this new thread if you'd like to continue sharing your experience with odd and curious jobs.

We encourage you to have fun and discuss your experience. That said, please be mindful of our Community Guidelines and refrain from posting links to job postings, names of persons or companies, or any other identifying information. Additionally, if you come across a job that violates Upwork TOS, please flag it as inappropriate following the steps outlined here.

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

2,171 REPLIES 2,171
roberty1y
Community Member

Ad for content writers

Looking for newbie and expert writers who can write on romance and can do little practical romance chat as well. ( So that I can qualify them )

I'm owner [name] will be shortlisting the candidate.

I would like to have 30 mins sample chat then will hire you for $150/hr

Budget is $20,000. Payment unverified, 0 percent hire rate. 

I saw one like that. They were looking to write a novel that featured adult situations and it would be created via chat with the client. I thought there were other websites for this kind of service.

colettelewis
Community Member

Here is more academic fraud and the "client" actually says: 

"If you have any moral qualms about this gig, please do not apply.
If you have never written an academic paper at the post-graduate level for UK education institutions, please do not apply."

Keep it up Upwork.  Your reputation among academic institutions is growing daily.  

Hi Nichola,

Could you please share the job post with me via PM? Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thank you Goran, but despite flagging the job and sending you the link, the job is still posted. So I guess Upwork doesn't see anything wrong in this? 

nhansen
Community Member

I just came across one where the person is asking for someone to write a "love letter" to stop their spouse from getting a divorce.

Last month, this person posted an job looking for someone to analyze some phone and text records for "patterns."

Sounds to me like someone was snooping on their unfaithful spouse's phone and then when the affair was revelead the cheater decided to leave them. And now they are desperate to get them back.

nhansen
Community Member

Boy, there are some good ones tonight.

Another job requires the freelancer own a monkey. Alternatively, they can rent a monkey.

I never knew monkeys were available for rent!

battershall-ramo
Community Member

"I'm state gold medal winner in strength lifting..."

Always a useful skill to boast about when you're dishonestly using the Upwork jobs postings to dishonestly advertise for online work.

mconicx
Community Member

Any job that is "very easy to do" and "should take exactly x hours" is pretty wacky to me. Not the job itself, of course.

A similar type of job that needs to be done in x hours urgently!! is even crazier. The Client literally spends twelve extra hours interviewing different freelancers. Once, I've seen a job kicking for a week that needed to be done in "two hours". LOL.

The interviewer count just went up, or bugged out and the Client simply quit.

colettelewis
Community Member

This is the latest gem (scam) in my feed this morning - so far 10 applicants : 

"Our share looking for some rich freelanfers to take on a French translation project"

At least they are honest by asking for rich freelancers to apply - all the same - the budget is $3,500 ...

ETA: Some hours later and this job (and about five others) is still up: **Edited for Community Guidelines** 

And now there are 15 to 20 proposals  and the "client" still viewing and no doubt scamming many of them.  The "client" is not in the United Kingdom, as the time zone in UK is different from the one shown.  

Nichola L wrote:

This is the latest gem (scam) in my feed this morning - so far 10 applicants : 

"Our share looking for some rich freelanfers to take on a French translation project"

At least they are honest by asking for rich freelancers to apply - all the same - the budget is $3,500 ...

Being rich has always been a huge motivator to seek online work, right? 

AndreaG

Hi all,

We are closing this thread due to its size. Feel free to visit this new thread if you'd like to continue sharing your experience with odd and curious jobs.

We encourage you to have fun and discuss your experience. That said, please be mindful of our Community Guidelines and refrain from posting links to job postings, names of persons or companies, or any other identifying information. Additionally, if you come across a job that violates Upwork TOS, please flag it as inappropriate following the steps outlined here.

~Andrea
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths