🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Dark mode for desktop app when?
Page options
boulbayam_lukman
Community Member

Dark theme

We need a dark theme for upwork it's so bright at night 😄 😄 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

copy and paste this URL: 

chrome://flags/#enable-force-dark

change Auto Dark Mode for Web Contents to "Enabled with selective inversion of non-image elements"

2a05aa63_0-1692008561874.pngor

you can use extenstion, like this for Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/dark-reader/eimadpbcbfnmbkopoojfekhnkhdbieeh

View solution in original post

181 REPLIES 181
liquidom0092
Community Member

I think Upwork should concentrate on taking care of the spam and ensuring their platform stays online! A dark theme would be cool too, but hopefully, they get different developers than the mobile app!

7caf8176
Community Member

How I can enable Upwork dark theme 

4b581adc
Community Member

I am surprised that the upwork desktop app doesn't come with a dark mode, every time I want to log time or use messages, I have to flashbang my eyes for an uncomfortable amount of time. I can understand that the website doesn't have a dark mode because dark reader exists (thank god for that extension), but there is no alternative for the desktop app.

Please, we really need a dark mode for the desktop app.

cg-shop
Community Member

Hello,

1. Can you please make   Black interface or Night mode for all pages?  

2. Can you please do something with system notifications - everytime i log in - there are 2-3 notification at the top of the page,

It woudl help a lot. 

Thank you

4d07306e
Community Member

Why has my Upwork gone dark on its own? I need help turning it off. Ironic isn't it?

I guess they do a gradual rollout of the dark theme. That is only for selected users for now. They already did so with the previous UI updates. Sometimes I've seen that on some of my computers Upwork shows an old UI and on others - a new UI.

If it's true, then we have good news. I just hope that the dark theme will be optional with the option to sync the theme with the current OS theme.

Najam M, please check in the Upwork site settings, maybe now you can select light or dark theme

the-right-writer
Community Member

You can use a program that allows you to have a night setting. I use a free program that enables me to have a black screen and still see all the features. I will use a dark theme if I'm writing or researching for long periods. I do the same with Word, usually making the page a light gray.

a2b3cc2e
Community Member

ADD DARK MODE 

jithu7432
Community Member

Its 2022, and Upwork has recieved a major UI update this week, but still no dark mode.

Please do something about it.

233f34a1
Community Member

Yes you right

simonmadsen
Community Member

simonmadsen_0-1661757596403.png

this works really well and i suspect that is why upwork does not prioritize this, but yeah upwork please the freelancers please, it is nice you have it as an option also, so that we can select individually on websites

andi_stiller
Community Member

BUMP

anyone from upwork actually reading this?

Try notifying the moderator by clicking the three dots in the right-hand upper corner. The drop-down menu has an option for notifying the moderator. However, don't expect anything to change. In the meantime,  I use Dark Reader and it works well.

bde09c4c
Community Member

Totally agree, dark theme would be really nice to have as an option!

thehamzaawan
Community Member

YEAH, SOME OF US ARE BATSSS

juwel121
Community Member

Yes, it will be helpful. But on Firefox and Chrome, we can use a "Dark mode" extension.

But it would be nice to have on the app

omerko1996
Community Member

It has been longer than 3 years now, still no dark mode, and there were major changes in the UI. Common Upwork, we are still counting on this... 😀

juwel121
Community Member

Useful

d53f995d
Community Member
hoxhalejla
Community Member

Where can I find a dark theme option?

That’s the best part, you can’t

It's hidden in the shadows.

Use Dark Reader.

alejandrg
Community Member

I don't understand why changing fonts and menu shape every year is more important for Upwork than the dark mode which users are already asking for 3 years. 
Are there any news from the team?

Community Member

AMAZINGLY, Upwork has gone in the opposite direction of this request this past month. Since this thread has an official solution that is specific to the Chrome browser (although other browsers, especially Chromium-based ones, have similar workarounds) and does not cover the app, I'm posting a link to a recent, unsolved thread that will hopefully get more attention for this renewed issue.

Dark mode - If ever you are passing my way. 

6bef0a9a
Community Member

We are looking for a dark theme on Upwork. Please Upwork developers you should create a dark theme and allow us to switch to dark and light as well. I only use a dark version of every single website because the light theme is not good for my eye when I focus on the light theme then it's destroying my eyes and it makes a pain in my head as well so that is why I use a dark theme.

Thanks

Syed Ahmed

Hi Syed,

We truly appreciate your feedback and suggestions. This will definitely help us improve our service. I'll make sure to pass this over to the appropriate team for review and hopefully consider it. We'll let all members know if there's an update on the system. 

~ Arjay
Upwork

We have been asking for a dark theme for years. I use Dark Reader and it works very well. I recommend using that program.

Hi Syed, please use a filter software package to make your web surfing darker. Thanks!

b_majstorchev
Community Member

What a savage!  👨‍💻

bentbrain
Community Member

Hi Upwork Community.
As someone whom is online 14 hours a day in a dark, secluded and industrial room filled with gadgets and gizmos to make my daily existence possible. I still am shocked when I open the Upwork page and my hobbit hole of an environment is showered with so much white light, I think I have moved on to the next phase of life.

When is Upwork going to offer a standard feature that even the cheapest websites have included to make those nightly visits to the website not raise red flags to anyone else in the room?

Please community rise up and assemble so we are heard - I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

I use the brave browser which has a great force darkmode theme... works well. Of course the app is killing me with its super brightness at times 😞

Yes, I also have used this feature but it flips the color pallet so much the website design is affected and looks like I need to get my eye site checked for color blindness.

andi_stiller_0-1665020793114.png

its not perfect...but the best way for me. yeah I might get color issues LOL

I appreciate this tip. I'll have to play around with the different modes that the feature uses. I wish Brave made it a bit easier to locate their experimental features. Just turned on the "enabled with selective inversion of everything". Any experience with the differences between the modes?

Though Upwork should work on the Dark Mode feature you shouldn't work in the dark. It is very harmful to your health.

Upvoting because the website has trended whiter and brighter these past few weeks. I want to shut down the tab as soon as the website opens!! Same with the app! And I use powerful blue-light blocking glasses (Gunnar brand, highly recommend). I don't even want to attempt looking at the website without them on.

I am personally a fan of Grayscale mode, which makes it very easy on the eyes (all Black and White).  I keep my iPhone on black & White mode 90% of the time.  That helps me with great quality sleep and makes my phone boring so it tends to reduce my screen time.  I wrote an **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Windows has a color filter mode that you can quickly turn on/off using Windows + CTRL + C shortcut.  

spxpert_0-1667201249030.png

morlar
Community Member

There seems to be a number of topics on the lack of a dark theme for Upwork, some of the threads going back years. There are moderators stating that it's been 'mentioned' to 'someone' . . . yet nothing ever happens. I do my best work in the middle of the night but looking at Upwork is intolerable. . .

I don't want to use browser hacks or addons. Every website or app that caters to the IT crowd has a dark theme, ALL of them, it's a no-brainer to offer a dark theme option for IT professionals. . . Yet Upwork can't even provide this most basic, trival option.

Why, I wonder?

Latest Articles
Learning Paths