🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Re: Can we please have a Dark theme?
Page options
boulbayam_lukman
Community Member

Dark theme

We need a dark theme for upwork it's so bright at night 😄 😄 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

copy and paste this URL: 

chrome://flags/#enable-force-dark

change Auto Dark Mode for Web Contents to "Enabled with selective inversion of non-image elements"

2a05aa63_0-1692008561874.pngor

you can use extenstion, like this for Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/dark-reader/eimadpbcbfnmbkopoojfekhnkhdbieeh

View solution in original post

181 REPLIES 181
michael_skaggs
Community Member

A dark theme with full black on mobile would be great for OLED users, too.

AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Lukman,

Thanks for your suggestion. I shared your feedback with our team for consideration.

Feel free to follow up if you have further questions.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Please, we need this option Aleksandar D. Its about our healthy. Thank you.

Yes please, dark mode would be incredible! Thank you.

It's been 2 years!! was it ever implemented? I'm new to upwork and it's really hurting my eyes!! It burns!

Hi, Aleksander. No update yet, it is gonna be 4 years now :') Please bring in dark mode for mobile and desktop.

matiassinco
Community Member

yes, that would be great. Just a basic theme, no need to change much just, minimalist is ok.

shefen
Community Member

There are extensions that can be added to browsers to do this.

I'm using Chrome and added NightShift

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/search/change%20colors?hl=en

You can set it to switch on at sunset and also choose the general color to use.

Works well enough for me. I like the blue tint.

Dark Reader is another great option. So is Flux. Flux is free (not an extension) and works on Mac and Windows. 

auriferoustv
Community Member

I have to use upwork for hours... dark theme is my only cure.

Try Dark Reader (plug in, but doesn't always work great with Google Docs so double check them before sending them to a client IF you use that. Or try Flux (google just get flux). I use Flux. It's also free. It works on both Mac and Windows. I leave mine on Candlelight or Ember most of the time because I have severe light sensitivity. Hope that helps you. 

pythonhouse
Community Member

Please implement a dark theme. 

Hi Tony, 

Please know that this has already been suggested before, and it doesn't look like it will be implemented anytime soon. If this changes, we'll make sure to announce it here in the Community. 

~ Avery
Upwork
jprburns
Community Member

Why not? If it's highly desired, why not implement this option?

07ad954f
Community Member

If Dark theme seems impossible to be implemented, can we at least have an option to change the color of the background? 

To reduce our eye strain in a dimly lit room.

Thanks in advance.

karanfilov
Community Member

Dear all,

I know that a lot of you work with Dark Themes, for example my Adobe Suite is all Dark and almost all of my apps. Although I use the Upwork mobile app quite a lot, I would love to see the option of a Dark theme for both the website and app as it will really benefit our eyes. How can we provide an official request to the Upwork Team so this is slightly considered?

Kind Regards
Zharko

Zharko K wrote:

Dear all,

I know that a lot of you work with Dark Themes, for example my Adobe Suite is all Dark and almost all of my apps. Although I use the Upwork mobile app quite a lot, I would love to see the option of a Dark theme for both the website and app as it will really benefit our eyes. How can we provide an official request to the Upwork Team so this is slightly considered?

Kind Regards
Zharko

There is a work-around suggested by Sheila F here:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Coffee-Break/Dark-theme/m-p/598580

Yes, I need dark-theme too.

i also need dark mood, i cant work in light mood,

Use this chrome extension called "dark reader"... hope it helps

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/dark-reader/eimadpbcbfnmbkopoojfekhnkhdbieeh?hl=en

ssup.png

Don't feel very comfortable around 3rd-party extensions and apps.

A built-in dark mode on UpWork would be really nice. It doesn't even have to be on client-side. Just here on freelancer-side would do. 

Zharko K wrote:

Dear all,

Kind Regards
Zharko

Dark theme would be preferred. It's easier on the eyes.

Use this chrome extension called "dark reader"... hope it helps

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/dark-reader/eimadpbcbfnmbkopoojfekhnkhdbieeh?hl=en

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

nicola1979
Community Member

It's not a magic trick, I'm just using Firefox with the add-on called Dark Mode. All websites background are modified and this is the result on our loved Upwork 🙂

I remember I've read some posts about the difficulties on reading for someone in here, and I hope this solution may help them too.

**edited for Community Guidelines**

Screenshot_2.jpg

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Nice, Nicola!

I just had to edit the thread because your first image had some identifying information, which we do not allow in the Community. Here's the Community Guidelines for your reference. Hope that's fine with you!

~ Avery
Upwork

Thank you Avery! I think I forgot to cover my name...

Another forum page linked me here.

If you're a chrome user, you can download and install extensions which can switch the page to dark mode.

Use it all the time when browsing the web at night

Thank you, buddy! This is quite the addon. Still would love to see a dark theme on the android and ios app. 🙂

nafiulhasan05
Community Member

I would love to see a Dark Mode Theme in Upwork. As I know most of the Freelancer work with their freedom they might work at night Like Me. Most of the time I work at night time so it will be a great option for me if Upwork Team can make a Dark theme for us. 

what do you guys think?

Thanks 

-Nafiul

Hi Md Nafiul,

Thank you for your feedback, I'll be sure to share this to our team for consideration. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

Hi Joanne,
Thank You 

Long story short, upwork make that option or not, doesnt matter.

Just search for darkmode extension for whatever browser you are using and you will be able to turn any website dark with just one click.

I’ve just installed my extension for safari.

Problem solved!!

Cheers!

Interesting idea.
But I'm here to tell you that Upwork is a world of never ending happiness
You can always see the sun, day or night.

Hey @Preston,
Thanks for your feedback. 
But I am a little bit confused about your last line. 
Actually, what do you mean?

Preston H wrote:

But I'm here to tell you that Upwork is a world of never ending happiness
You can always see the sun, day or night.

So when Preston calls up that shrink in Beverly Hills 
You know the one, Dr. Everything'll-Be-Alright

Sorry, Nafiul, I can’t support your idea. For many years, Upwork team has not been able to bring the Light Mode to a more or less acceptable state. Their attempt to implement Dark Mode will definitely ruin this website completely…

I disagree, I Spent so much time looking for jobs when I don't have one and this mode is TOO BRIGHT for my eyes sir... It will make it LOOK COOL...!!!!

Portfolio thumbnails should look clear and sharp, not blurry. This is especially important for freelancers who work in the graphics area. After thousands of complains and years they have not been able to fix that, so I can't even imagine how much a dark mode would take.

Oh a dark mode would be lovely. One vote more for this.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths