Page options
boulbayam_lukman
Community Member

Dark theme

We need a dark theme for upwork it's so bright at night 😄 😄 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

copy and paste this URL: 

chrome://flags/#enable-force-dark

change Auto Dark Mode for Web Contents to "Enabled with selective inversion of non-image elements"

2a05aa63_0-1692008561874.pngor

you can use extenstion, like this for Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/dark-reader/eimadpbcbfnmbkopoojfekhnkhdbieeh

View solution in original post

181 REPLIES 181

At least just the the time tracker app... I use chrome with a dark mode extension that works just fine... the web looks pretty cool and my eyes are so grateful, I get headaches so easy with any flash of light, I gotta be carefull or I gotta take like at least an hour out of the light just to avoid a migraine....
 Not trying to be dramatic, but just a reminder, whenever you got the time upwork ppl, but please soon. Thanks! 

Hi everyone,
Is there any change, any update? Do upwork have a dark mode now? Especially on mobile phone app?

Thanks

There is a chrome extension that can be used for the internet version
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/dark-reader/eimadpbcbfnmbkopoojfekhnkhdbieeh?hl=en-US

In 2020 lots of sites support dark themes. Some examples include search engines, social networks, video hostings, source code hostings, message boards. 
Many of them detect which theme is set in the current OS or browser using the `prefers-color-scheme-dark` CSS media query and apply the same theme to the site . More info can be found by searching `prefers-color-scheme-dark` on the internet. Other sites allow to switch themes manually. And some of them can change theme either manually or sync it with OS depending on the user's choice. Also all major operating systems and browsers have dark themes.

I know that there are dark user styles and browser extensions which replace site backgrounds with dark colors, but result frequently looks bad and after any changes of the site structure and site CSS styles these user styles and extensions might stop working properly. So native dark site themes are always preferred. And in case of Upwork apps there's no way to use such extensions. 

So I think it's time to implement dark theme for Upwork site, Upwork desktop tracker app and Upwork mobile apps.  Dark themes save my eyes so much when working at night and I will be so grateful to Upwork team for a dark theme. 

Finally a plugin that works.  thanks for posting that.

vinod111
Community Member

Looking forward to seeing this in the new year...

humbled
Community Member

this is such a good idea

aishak344
Community Member

Unpopular opinion. While you guys are on upgrading things around here, a Dark Mode for Upwork would be excellent. Thanks in advance! 😁

Hi Mawra,

Thanks for your feedback. It has been suggested here in the community already, but I'll be happy to share it again with the team. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

Mawra, I'd love a dark them too! 😍

It would make be feel like the Dark Knight every single time I logged in and typed some messages to clients. 🤪

But as this has been suggested before and we're still waiting it to happen, I wouldn't hold my breath. 🤭

So, I guess we need to bring all that darkness into this platform by ourselves. 😈

Would be glad to work with you on this! 🤣

Mikko, I don't know about others but if we unite, we can summon all the darkness from nightmares and unleash it here on Upwork! *Evil laugh*
All you people better join us... Or be the victim! 😂😂😂

Mawra W wrote:
Unpopular opinion. While you guys are on upgrading things around here, a Dark Mode for Upwork would be excellent. Thanks in advance! 😁

It's dead simple to force dark mode onto errything.

All you need do is open the hidden Chrome menu and turn it on.

Note that this won't end the blinding green but it will go some ways.

Tried it. Didn't get the kick I get from Insta's dark theme. I'm a NYCTOPHILE! I WANT DARKNESS! :new_moon_face::new_moon_face:
iamanimesh
Community Member

Yes; visually it will be really delighting. Team Upwork can give a serious thought into it

e5be3210
Community Member

So this has been suggested 2 years ago, yet all that they do ia change the font and interface. I'm really looking forward if Upwork have Dark Theme with some green and white on it. It eases the eye to search for job on both mobile and PC. Please make it available for us to choose.

Yuni Nuraini R wrote:
So this has been suggested 2 years ago, yet all that they do ia change the font and interface. I'm really looking forward if Upwork have Dark Theme with some green and white on it. It eases the eye to search for job on both mobile and PC. Please make it available for us to choose.

Google has an extension for dark mode.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/dark-mode/dmghijelimhndkbmpgbldicpogfkceaj
I have not tried it, but perhaps it serves you for something 🙂

ghazali-kb
Community Member

When is Upwork going to add dark mode on the website and on the apps?

Hi Ghazali,

Thanks for taking the time to share your suggestion. I'll pass this along to the appropriate team again and hope our team will consider your suggestion in the near future.

Thank you.

Pradeep.

Upwork

[image: image.png] use this chrome extension called "dark reader"

Yes, I get it, I've used several browser dark theme extensions but it still won't be better than the one from Upwork. For example, on the first image attached, the Upwork logo is a JPG image with a white background and this background will still be white using the dark theme extension because the logo is not in PNG or SVG, etc.

The extension helps a lot but still can't beat the one coming from Upwork.

danielrune13
Community Member

I totally agree. There is too much white for the darkness of my room Smiley LOL

e3be4851
Community Member

Why there isn't a dark theme here

it's so bright in the day

It would be great to have it

saif_haider
Community Member

+1 my eyes are burning like hell at night 😢

Easy dark theme for all websites on chrome:

Go to this URL: 
chrome://flags/#enable-force-dark 

image.png

And restart chrome.

Thanks for this, it works perfectly. On Chrome at least.

I'm having trouble getting to sleep at night which is probably down to me working late in front of a screen. I'm hoping that dimming it down might help.

This deserves more kudos and shouldn't be tucked away where it will be missed, IMO.

Jamie F wrote:

I'm having trouble getting to sleep at night which is probably down to me working late in front of a screen. I'm hoping that dimming it down might help.

This deserves more kudos and shouldn't be tucked away where it will be missed, IMO.

Have you tried anti blue light software like flux? It really helps with sleep.

Viacheslav K wrote:

Jamie F wrote:

Have you tried anti blue light software like flux? It really helps with sleep.

Yes, I use flux already, and I've been changing the settings this week.

I did have my sleeping problems under control, with help from melatonin, but for some reasons it's come back with a vengance for the last 10 days or so (it's been a horrid week).

I've been making changes, though, including cutting out as much light as I can from my PC. I slept better last night so hopefully it's working.

LIFE SAVER 🤗

timefighter11
Community Member

Mostly white color appearing in the Upwork is a symbol that it's a light in the darkness for thousands of people who are using them in darker rooms. 😉

At the cost of their eyes though.

I have absolutely no problem with a white screen and I work in exceptionally good light. I find a dark screen very hard on my eyes. And I  am sure I am not the only one. 

But perhaps Upwork could consider an alternative for those who prefer working with a dark screen - some kind of toggle in the settings? 

Nichola L wrote:

I have absolutely no problem with a white screen and I work in exceptionally good light.

That was me until about a month ago... Then I ended up with really nasty conjunctivitis for the first time in my entire life, which left me barely able to see the screen and my eyes so light-sensitive anything other than dark mode and very muted literally hurt like hell. Like eyes on fire. Very, very painful. The conjunctivitis has now gone, the sensitivity to light remains, more some days, less on others. I have now set everything I can to dark mode as it is the only way I can work. Microsoft Office, thankfully, has a dark mode option. Sometimes a page loading in light mode is like someone sticking daggers into my eyeballs.

Nichola L wrote:

But perhaps Upwork could consider an alternative for those who prefer working with a dark screen - some kind of toggle in the settings? 

That is all anyone is asking for anyway. Many sites have an option, nobody is asking Upwork to change it to dark mode for everyone or as default.

I've had conjunctivitis several times. And sometimes the light sensitivity could remain for several weeks or months. But usually it slowly ended up. Hope you also will get rid of it.

But still it's more comfortable for me to use dark themes when I work in a dark room.  So I hope Upwork will implement a dark theme soon.

bakhrom_tursunov
Community Member

Hey,

I wanted to suggest to the Upwork team to work on the dark/night style/mode of the website. 

Because of the time difference with my clients, I work during the night time and the primary colors of the website are white and green. It is too bright during nighttime. I and many other freelancers would greatly appreciate it if the Upwork time introduce dark mode to the UI of the website.

Thanks.

arooba_zuberi
Community Member

I WANT DARK MODE PLEASE

mister63741
Community Member

Sad to see that still after over 3 years no one took the time to implement a dark mode. 

I also would love to have the option. 

parthjani7
Community Member

How sad! It's 2022 and all major websites offer dark mode, especially the ones used by devs.

Please add Dark Mode.

nazihzakaria
Community Member

My eyes hurt when looking at this white bright theme, especially at night. My eyes are the most precious thing in the world, could you please appreciate our eyes as we do and add the dark mode or dark theme, I don't want Upwork to be a part of losing or weakening my sight, it won't be worth it. Maybe it already existed, how can I find it? 

Thank you!

They never implemented it but I'm using a chrome extension that kinda does the trick, Night Shift Redux, can get a lil glitchy sometimes but it's free

ladyofthepen
Community Member

We need this period. I have photosensitivity because of a chronic condition. I'd like to be here without pain. 

(Disclaimer: does not address overall Dark Mode issue. Not affiliated with Gunnar.)

Have you considered getting high-quality blue-light blocking glasses? Between TV and a computer, I've used screens daily since early childhood - and nightly since middle school. I bought some Gunnar glasses a few years ago and haven't looked back. Whenever somebody mocks the tint on the glasses, I tell them to try it for a few minutes. They stop mocking after a few seconds. Of course, there are tint-less options (actually most of the market is tint-less) but they are all significantly less effective than the type that I use. I'm pretty sure the reason for that is the patent owned by Gunnar for their lenses. And if you aren't a digital artist or digital photographer, the tint is a non-issue. I've even used their mid-range DLPF glasses for sunny outdoors use in snowy/icy conditions.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths