Page options
boulbayam_lukman
Community Member

Dark theme

We need a dark theme for upwork it's so bright at night 😄 😄 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

copy and paste this URL: 

chrome://flags/#enable-force-dark

change Auto Dark Mode for Web Contents to "Enabled with selective inversion of non-image elements"

2a05aa63_0-1692008561874.pngor

you can use extenstion, like this for Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/dark-reader/eimadpbcbfnmbkopoojfekhnkhdbieeh

View solution in original post

181 REPLIES 181
rozroz13
Community Member

Quite simply it is because it doesn't matter to upwork's revenue. They don't earn from it or goodwill. All they want is hard cash.

They've implemented significant changes to the UI in the past 6 months, on more than one occasion. So UI development is definitely part of their expenditures

7c40879b
Community Member

This is my first theme and I want it to be as useful as possible. I would like to see an Upwork theme with a dark mode in the site functionality since I often work on the site at night. My eyes quickly get tired of the white background of the site when reading, and because of this, my productivity drops.

This problem needs to be addressed; the topic is not new and has been relevant before, popping up in 2019. I found it and want to update it to share and save search time for aspiring freelancers with this information.

You can use an extension, like this for Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/dark-reader/eimadpbcbfnmbkopoojfekhnkhdbieeh

Have a great day freelancers, peace be with your home.

Works just fine for me! Thanks!
spxpert
Community Member

Amazing...you made my day already

71e70ad1
Community Member

Upwork is so bright! Dark theme please!

I thought I'm the only one that wanted this. Upwork should just make the color match the user's device settings.

which one is that?

You can use programs like Dark Reader.

Ok thanks!

bec23653
Community Member

Absolutely agree! Upwork's bright theme can be quite harsh on the eyes, especially during late night work sessions. Here are a few points to consider:

1. Dark themes are known to reduce eye strain and make it easier to work in low-light conditions. Upwork should definitely consider introducing a dark mode to improve user experience.

2. Many other popular platforms, including social media apps, video streaming services, and messaging platforms, have already introduced dark themes. Upwork could be seen as lagging behind the trend.

3. The option to switch between light and dark themes can be a simple yet powerful feature that appeals to a wide range of users. Users who prefer a brighter theme can continue to use it, while those who prefer a darker interface can switch to it seamlessly.

Overall, adding a dark theme to Upwork could be a great way to enhance the platform's usability and appeal to a wider user base.

Optional dark theme is actually a competitive advantage. For instance I have switched from one online git service to another just because the latter had perfect dark theme support and the first one ignored all user requests to implement a dark theme. And I also often read comments from users of other services who report that they switched to a competitor just because of the lack of a dark theme.

jefreylandicho
Community Member

Hi Upwork

Can I request a feature for the app and desktop, a dark mode option? Thank you

arclub
Community Member

Is there any option to make a dark interface on Upwork? If yes then please tell me. And if there is no option then told me the process of how and where I send a request to Upwork authority to provide such kinds of options on Upwork in the near future.

Hi Abdul,

I'm afraid that we currently do not have such an option, but I'll surely share your feedback with the relevant team for consideration.

One workaround you could try, in case you haven't already, is that if you use Google Chrome as your browser, you can force enable dark mode for every website. You can do this by typing "chrome://flags/#enable-force-dark" into an URL address bar. Be mindful this is an experimental feature available in Chrome so it may not work as nicely as having a native option within the website you're visiting.

~ Luiggi
Upwork

Thanks for sharing!

37dd1a47
Community Member

Why upwork doesn't have dark mode, i usually work on dark mode, liteerally everything has dark mode on my computer but if i shift to upwork it hurt's my eyes

Is there a way upwork could include light mode

9645e2e9
Community Member

I like dark theme

My name is Nouman I am Data expert
bishounen_ace
Community Member

It's 2024. All major sites has a dark mode. Of all the visual changes that has been done, why upwork is so slow implementing this? Does it look unproffesional? Is it code breaking? Technically challenging? Lack of Resource? Does upwork take care of their freelancer's eyes? There is no excuse. I'm aware of a workaround, I want something official.

Freelancers work all time of the day, including midnights, we don't want to be blinded by the default theme.

Hi Aiescer,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I'll make sure this gets to the relevant team so they can consider this feature. For now, I have merged your post to a thread where Viacheslav shared some tips on how he was able to switch to dark mode on his browser.

~ AJ
Upwork
17101c3e
Community Member

It's 2024 now, and most of the tech apps are now implementing a dark mode. Is this happening anytime soon?

arko1998
Community Member

Hey everyone! Let's cast our votes for the dark mood theme on Upwork. It's sleek, easy on the eyes, and adds a touch of sophistication to our workspace. Your support matters, so let's make it happen! :new_moon:

Latest Articles
Learning Paths