🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Designing reports
Page options
knwlzahid
Community Member

Designing reports

Anyone knows about any good software or tool to design professional business reports? Microsoft word lack templates with good design. 

Kanwal
11 REPLIES 11
jcullinan
Community Member

@Kanwal F wrote:

Anyone knows about any good software or tool to design professional business reports? Microsoft word lack templates with good design. 

Adobe inDesign is the industry standard.

versailles
Community Member

Infogram

Not sure that's what you're looking for.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Hi Kanwal,

if its what i think then you have two nice tools:

Jasper or Birth -as extension framework easy to use within eclipse.

You could also use the report designer from pentaho BI suite.

Every module, ETL, reporting, is as standalone versison available.

And the best, its free !

--We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.
Mother Teresa
moutcom
Community Member

One more thing Kanwal,

consider Word or Excel as data source, and try to move on with the previous mentioned tools.
There is of corse Microsoft BI tool, but IMHO not as flexible like the opensource tools.
Good luck
--We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.
Mother Teresa

@Moutacim L wrote:
One more thing Kanwal,

consider Word or Excel as data source, and try to move on with the previous mentioned tools.
There is of corse Microsoft BI tool, but IMHO not as flexible like the opensource tools.
Good luck

Thank you. I searched about the  pentaho BI suite, but its difficult to use. I just didn't get how to use it. As I'm not a tech person. 

Kanwal

Hi Kanwal,

you don't have to use the whole BI suite.

What do you want to do ?

And how would you like to present it ?

If you answer those two questions, i might post you a short sample.

Mother Teresa

@Moutacim L wrote:

Hi Kanwal,

you don't have to use the whole BI suite.

What do you want to do ?

And how would you like to present it ?

If you answer those two questions, i might post you a short sample.

Actually I'm looking for a program or tool to develop visually appealing report mainly business reports.  Something that have good design templates and easy to use as well like the other softwares (word, powerpoint etc.). I saw indesign, inforgram and BI suite as well. Indesign seems easy to use.  

Kanwal

'Indesign seems easy to use.'

Are you a Mac user? Or use other Adobe products? If so, you'll find it easier to get to grips with.  If not, 'easy' isn't the word I'd use.

You'll need to allow yourself a fair bit of time to get to grips with it, although it's worth it in the end.

moutcom
Community Member

@Kanwal,

as Kim mentioned, there is no easy for business reports unless you want to present 'cold' data (static). Live data, feeds, etc should be presented via xml engine, so have to understand what you are doing.
To get familiar with ANY type of software is not only a learning process, but also to deep dive into its functionality and verify if it fits your need.
You are not a techfan its not right, you are a great techy ... You just dont know it !! If you are able to understand business and like to present it that others could understand , you are also able to talk to that piece of software and tell what you want. I am sure . ..
All you need is a bit time 🙂

Remember NIKE ?
Mother Teresa

@Moutacim

Yah I agreed, in order to fully understand anything all we need is to  give time to it. I'll try to look again the BI suite and give it a shot to understand it. Thanks for your all help, I really appreciate it 🙂

Kanwal

@Kim F wrote:

'Indesign seems easy to use.'

Are you a Mac user? Or use other Adobe products? If so, you'll find it easier to get to grips with.  If not, 'easy' isn't the word I'd use.

You'll need to allow yourself a fair bit of time to get to grips with it, although it's worth it in the end.

@ @Kim

I downloaded Indesign few months back, my client said may be he will need a flyer so can I develop using Indesign. So i thought to give it a look. Later, we didn't go for developing flyer. So I just uninstall indesign. Yah indeed I found it difficult to use and understand at first.

But now I again thought to give it  a proper shot. So I download it again. This time I watch the tutorials as well to know how it works. Now I found it easy to use, may be because I saw the tutorials. From easy to use, I mean I understand how things work over there, I know it takes more time to get the grip. 

Kanwal
Latest Articles
Learning Paths