🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Re: Do a freelancer also have to be a superhe...
Page options
sm_shaheer
Community Member

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Syed Muhammad S wrote:

My last small-time project was of 6 months. And as I mentioned in my letter I sincerely enjoyed those 6 months. But no matter what I do now, and how much relevant job posts I now apply to, I don't get any response. I have a great track record, subscribed to upwork membership; the profile is visible, I apply to relevant job posts with precise cover letters. Can you kindly shed more light on how a full-timer can turn it around faster?

Can you really not understand how a full-time dedicated programmer can turn around projects faster than someone who does this on the side? Like, is this so beyond your wildest imagination? None of the other stuff you mentioned matters. Your issue is that you're a part timer and the only way you could extend a deadline because you're just doing this part time is if you give the client a deal or you have a skill set that isn't commonly found on Upwork. They have too many other options and you're going into this with a disadvantage.

You are also trying to be a PM part time, and that just ain't ever gonna work out. If you think you can PM on the side, you've obviously never PM'd in your life.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
tlbp
Community Member

Okay, whose letter is this because it doesn't match your name? And, what is the complaint exactly? You didn't use Upwork and now you want to and don't have a good history? 

sm_shaheer
Community Member

lysis10
Community Member

Unless you can do small projects, I doubt most people want to hire part time developers. That would extend the timeline quite a bit especially on large projects. So you're stuck with small jobs, and everyone and their cousin goes for those jobs, so you then probably lose out to someone who can turn it around faster due to being a full-timer.

Syed Muhammad S wrote:

My last small-time project was of 6 months. And as I mentioned in my letter I sincerely enjoyed those 6 months. But no matter what I do now, and how much relevant job posts I now apply to, I don't get any response. I have a great track record, subscribed to upwork membership; the profile is visible, I apply to relevant job posts with precise cover letters. Can you kindly shed more light on how a full-timer can turn it around faster?

Can you really not understand how a full-time dedicated programmer can turn around projects faster than someone who does this on the side? Like, is this so beyond your wildest imagination? None of the other stuff you mentioned matters. Your issue is that you're a part timer and the only way you could extend a deadline because you're just doing this part time is if you give the client a deal or you have a skill set that isn't commonly found on Upwork. They have too many other options and you're going into this with a disadvantage.

You are also trying to be a PM part time, and that just ain't ever gonna work out. If you think you can PM on the side, you've obviously never PM'd in your life.

florydev
Community Member

I have worked with quite a few PM's in that past that sure acted like it was a part-time job!

lysis10
Community Member

Mark F wrote:

I have worked with quite a few PM's in that past that sure acted like it was a part-time job!

lolololol

Most programmers that don't go into management become PMs instead. No thank you with that crap. One of my good efrands is a PM and she seems to work 12 hour days and has non-stop stress. She's good at it though but still I feel like she's just a programmer's babysitter.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths