cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do they approve visa at all for those who just work online (e.g., on oDesk)?

Jenn B Member Since: Sep 6, 2008
1 of 13
Hello fellow oDeskers. I've been applying for a New Zealand tourist visa. Got denied twice. Their main reason is my work is just online (oDesk). So of course they worry I won't come back at all to my country. Smiley Sad I know travelling to visa-free countries first will help. I was in SG for 2 weeks before my second application. It didn't help though. Any tips on how to convince them that I'll come back to my country despite this online work? (No, certificate of employment and ITR don't help at all.) Thank you! Replies from anyone from any country is appreciated. Smiley Happy
Community Guru
Gillian Michele N Member Since: Mar 15, 2012
2 of 13
It looks like you'll have to get a company to sponsor you and bring you over to that particular country. Freelancing isn't guaranteed, so you wouldn't get accepted for a visa.
3 of 13
Hey Gillian! Thanks for the reply! Marcia is correct, I'm talking about a tourist visa. But I get what you mean. If I really want to go to that country, I'll need to have a job offer there and then get a work visa! Oh, by the way, the other reason why my visa was denied, in their own words: You have not travelled alone before. I didn't get the memo that everyone should have a travel buddy!
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
4 of 13
How about bank statements or tax forms showing your yearly earnings? By the way, you probably are not allowed to do oDesk work while on a tourist visa. They might be denying your visa because they think you are going to work illegally (on oDesk) while in the country. Gillian, Jenn mentioned a tourist visa. A company would sponsor her for a work visa, which is different. I don't have experience with NZ immigration. However, I do have experience with UK immigration, and I think generally immigration officers want to know you have enough money saved up that you can eat and have a place to stay without needing to find illegal work to pay for it, and that you have something to go back to (a job, a family, a house, etc.) so you will leave and go back home after your visa is up; you won't stay and become an illegal immigrant.
5 of 13
Hey Marcia! Thanks for the reply. Smiley Happy I did submit bank statements and tax forms but nope. Still denied. For NZ, the rule is you need to have at least 1,000 NZD per month for your travel/living expenses (aside from ticket cost). I did meet that requirement. I only have this oDesk online job. No own house. I live with my parents and siblings, so I don't think that counts (and even those who are already married and with their own kids, they also have a hard time getting their visa approved.). Any other idea...?
Community Guru
Gillian Michele N Member Since: Mar 15, 2012
6 of 13
Yep, a work visa is definitely different. I missed the 'tourist' part.
Community Guru
Marissa S Member Since: Feb 6, 2008
7 of 13
Do you own a property? Got 6-7 figures in your bank account? These can help with the visa approval.. and if you can find a rich sponsor in the country you plan to visit.. or a 'connection' within the embassy who charges exhorbitant fees so you can have your visa processed in less than a month (shady, I know but mind you it happens.. so unfair... these applicants don't even have to make any personal appearance and they get their passports stamped, tsk tsk..) Then, you're in.
8 of 13
Hey Marissa! Thanks for the reply! Smiley Happy No own property yet. I have 6 figures in my bank account, yes. No super rich sponsor. Haha. I sadly don't have any connection in any embassy!
Ace Contributor
Aleah T Member Since: Mar 25, 2010
9 of 13
I've been to Europe and though I know it's hard to get a Schengen visa, I got it on my first application. Maybe it's because (1) I travel abroad a lot, usually solo, and (2) I have a house in the Philippines in my own name. Bank statement wise, I don't have much since I spend it all on travel. I guess what's important is for the embassies to be assured you won't stay illegally in their countries. What was their reason for rejecting your application? In the Schengen it's usually: "Return to the country cannot be ascertained" which means they see you as a risk for overstaying. My suggestion: travel a lot within the region first, to have stamps in your passport. (Btw, I plan to go to Aus/NZ in 2017, once I'm back from going around South America for 2 years.)
10 of 13
Hey Aleah! Smiley Happy I'm actually seriously considering buying a house. Of course it will take years though! Their main reason for rejecting my application was like that as well. They said my work is just online so they're not sure I'll come back to PH. Good luck applying for NZ/aus visa! Smiley Happy Hopefully you get approved. And wow you really travel a lot. I'm so envious. When you apply for visa, do you present yourself as a self-employed person? What documents related to your job do you usually submit?
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS