cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do they approve visa at all for those who just work online (e.g., on oDesk)?

Ace Contributor
Aleah T Member Since: Mar 25, 2010
11 of 13
I'm a consultant for a local non-profit (not related to my oDesk work) so that's the work I present.
Jenn B Member Since: Sep 6, 2008
12 of 13

Hi Aleah.

Don't they wonder why you're not often in Philippines to do that consultant work?

Also, is your salary in that consultant work more than P40,000? I'm thinking of getting a job in Manila but I'm pretty sure the pay would be so bad, and NZ immigration is really picky when it comes to monthly salary. 

Community Guru
Aseem B Member Since: Dec 20, 2014
13 of 13

Hi 

I had no idea that working on odesk can get you trouble when you apply for a tourist visa. I mean don't you always hear stories about freelancers and bloggers working on their laptop while sipping on their juices in front of a beach. This was one of the reasons I started full time on odesk.

I am planning to apply for a visa to US in 2015. I want to attend a programming workshop over there. This will be my first visa application. Do you think I should not mention that I work as a freelancer? Other than working on odesk, I own a few websites. Do you guys think it is better to present myself as a web entrepreneur instead of as a freelancer? My workshop is 3 month long. So will that raise a flag? 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS