cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Elance Make This World More Competitive ?

odrissho
Community Guru
MD Shahadat H Member Since: Dec 7, 2015
1 of 10

Yes, I am thinking so. Watching all the time for a job 50 up proposals within a moment !! What do you think ? Is this for collaborating with Elance or other issue ? Share your Opinion....

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 10

philosoraptor-pirate-caribbean.png

boshoffirene
Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
3 of 10

I have no idea what the OP means. I do, however, like Pirates of the Caribean. I usually watch it with a rum in hand when I want to watch something that requires absolutely no brain power. Plus...Johnny Depp isn't half bad looking, even when he is playing a total tw.t....and whatsisname, the guy who played Legolas...now that is mama's eye candy.

odrissho
Community Guru
MD Shahadat H Member Since: Dec 7, 2015
4 of 10

Yessss !! Smiley Very Happy

boshoffirene
Community Guru
5 of 10

Does Upwork Make This World More Competitive ?

No. I do not compete with others, I compete only with myself. What other people do or bid is none of my business, and I have no interest in their doings....ergo, I do not see them as competition.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 10

LOL. Irene may mean this in a more philosophical sense... That she is only competing against herself. But this is true in a very literal sense as well.

I have posted jobs for writers and I have found that most candidates are simply awful.

So, because Irene is a writer of genuine merit, any time she applies to a job, I am certain that most of the other candidates are not competition in any real sense. They simply aren't in the same league as her as a writer.

That doesn't mean she will be awarded every job she applies to, because some clients are looking for low cost bids and are not interested in quality. Also, there may be times where other legitimate high-quality writers apply to the same job. But for the most part, the other candidates can hardly be considered "competition" except in the broadest technical sense.

sonomacopypro
Astrid H Member Since: Jan 26, 2016
7 of 10

This all sounds wonderful in theory. As an  Elancer since 2009, who has worked on UpWork for a few months now, here are my experiences:

My business has fallen into a trench - in spite of being a "top-rated" provider and bidding like crazy. Could competing against 51 applicants versus 15 on Elance have anything to do with that? Who has the time to even read through 51 applications? 

My hit rate used to be 10%, and I would be fine with that. I am applying only to jobs that look like they may actually have a budget. My hit rate is nowhere. 

My few Upwork client experiences have been poor. They are looking for "rock star" writers in the Expert category but only willing to pay for hack work. There may even be a scammer among them.

In spite of editing my categories, I keep getting the wrong projects into my Job Feed - what a waste of time.

I prefer working on Fixed Price projects because it creates certainty for both parties. However, fixed price projects in my budget range are few and far between. So much for Upwork's claim that we Elancers will find a large universe of higher caliber clients here.

The limitation of only ONE file as an attachment to a proposal is ludicrous. 

Here is what I see: Elance had a great business going, but they got greedy and wanted more. And I guess they are making up in volume what they have lost in quality.

Am I the only Elance migrant with such experiences? 

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
8 of 10

You have 19 jobs open. You might want to close the old ones. It could pull you up to 90% and top rated.

You aren't the only Elancer. I'm actually fascinated by why some Elancers are thriving while others with just as much success (if not more) are struggling. I'm actually wondering if some of the Elancers are allowing their rage over being forced to move is coming out in proposals or conversations. It really does interest me, because I found the process very similar although it did feel a bit like starting over.

I've definitely noticed a shift in preference from companies to individuals on here. Elancer companies dominated every category. From what I've read, oDesk agencies/companies had terrible reputations and now people prefer individuals. It's great news for me!

You're probably gonna have to give up and do hourly jobs. There are a lot of them. Without looking at my jobs, I think I've finally gotten more hourly contracts than flat rate. I'm wondering if some of the Elancer's struggles are from refusing hourly contracts. The companies on Elance did a lot of bait and switches and just outsourced their work. That's not allowed here, so that cuts into some of the business models that were common on Elance.

battershall-ramo
Community Guru
Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
9 of 10

No. Nobody could compete against Elance workers, they were the apex of creation against which other online workers were but slugs in the sun. To even suggest that anyone could come close to their standards would be like comparing a thoroughbred racehorse to a clapped out seaside donkey. In fact, I'm not even sure why such sacrilege was allowed to be posted.

boshoffirene
Community Guru
10 of 10

Preston....you have my heart fluttering...I might swoon.... Smiley Wink

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS