🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Does anyone else agree?
Page options
mwiggenhorn
Community Member

Does anyone else agree?

Really, it should be fairly simple to make it impossible for a poster to mark their own response to the original question as "solved".  Really?  You solved your own problem?  Or are you just, for some unknowable ego-based reason, trying to boost yourself as a Top Solution Author?  Good grief, get a life...

13 REPLIES 13
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

You can at least be thankful that it's not possible to kudo your own posts. 😄
florydev
Community Member

Mary W wrote:

Really, it should be fairly simple to make it impossible for a poster to mark their own response to the original question as "solved".  Really?  You solved your own problem?  Or are you just, for some unknowable ego-based reason, trying to boost yourself as a Top Solution Author?  Good grief, get a life...

Although I agree, I also don't care.  The only value I see in solution is that it indicates the OP's desire to have the question over and done with (not that it stops us from piling on).  As much as I would like to use solutions as my ego boost standing next to Petra (well not next too...certainly out of smacking distance) will always make me look silly.

It is like the community guru thing, once you realize what it is you then realize it isn't anything.  Someone that wants to make it a thing is free to make it a thing, but again, silly to me.

I say this with the full weight of being the FEATCON which is also not a thing since many, many of you who "deserve" it way more than me decline it because you don't have the ego problem I have.

petra_r
Community Member

Mark F wrote:

Mary W wrote:

Although I agree, I also don't care.  The only value I see in solution is that it indicates the OP's desire to have the question over and done with (not that it stops us from piling on).  As much as I would like to use solutions as my ego boost standing next to Petra (well not next too...certainly out of smacking distance) will always make me look silly.

Haha 😄

I have not actually smacked anyone in many years and even the last incident of throwing an inanimate object at a wall is a while ago...

I think most people (not all, but most) mark their own post as best answer when their question is answered, as a sign the issue is resolved.

browersr
Community Member

There is a basis for marking one's own answer as the "best" that is completely valid. There is an immensely popular site called Stack Overflow which is for software engineers of all levels and types to ask programming related questions. Questions and answer can be upvoted/down voted and answers can be marked as "the answer" by the OP even if they answer their own questions. This is incredibly useful as others stumbling upon the same issue can quickly see that a workable solution was found. There is reputation on the site and one does increase that by answering questions, however, I don't believe that answering your own question increases that reputation in order to not "game the system". On that site I have answered a number of my own questions when no one else could after further experimentation, etc., lead to a successful conclusion. Everyone appreciates when you indicate that. So the same can be said for here with the idea that UW doesn't need to count it as solution metric in one's own stats. 

hoyle_editing
Community Member

I agree but i'm not sure if 

a) people would actually bother to do this.

b) If they did do it, what would they gain?

I think the OP is referring to this post:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Coffee-Break/Just-Saw-Something-Interesting/m-p/656202#M44626

Yes I agree the one who poses the question should not be able to mark their response as the "best answer".  If so, get rid of the modules ranking everyone on the right panel.  

It's just an ego boost.  Sometimes we need it.  When I do, I come here and help the newbies...

For the most part, I think that people who mark their own answers as the "best answer" in a thread are simply new to the Forum and don't fully understand the meaning of what they are doing. Nor do they understand that it looks silly.

Preston, if the person in question is who I believe it is ... he knows his way around the forum and you are being far too kind.

The person in question is enamored of his own words and doing nothing but seeking attention. And making a mistake in the process ....

Just sayin' -

Jonathan H wrote:

Jonathan H wrote:

Jonathan H wrote:

a) You better believe it, just follow the posts of Mr. N.

b) Ask Mr. N. 

ahhhh - lightbulb!

but, im not gonna ask about the gain - im not interested Smiley LOL

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Mary W wrote:

Completely agree. 

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

I can envision a situation wherein choosing your own comment as the solution would make sense:

OP asks a process question and subsequently finds or figures out the answer, or realizes the question was rooted in a misunderstanding, or something like that. So she makes that clarification in a comment and makes it the solution, for the benefit of others who might have had the same question or been potentially confused by her question.

Like everything else, it's subject to misuse. I think the only way to fool-proof the platform is at the door.

Phyllis G wrote:

I can envision a situation wherein choosing your own comment as the solution would make sense:

OP asks a process question and subsequently finds or figures out the answer, or realizes the question was rooted in a misunderstanding, or something like that. So she makes that clarification in a comment and makes it the solution, for the benefit of others who might have had the same question or been potentially confused by her question.

Like everything else, it's subject to misuse. I think the only way to fool-proof the platform is at the door.

It's great when people take the initiative to find what are usually ready answers to their questions. But all they have to do is come back and edit their post to update it. Self-solving oneself is not necessary.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths