🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Doing Something Wrong :
Page options
sameed_ahmad
Community Member

Doing Something Wrong :

Why is it the Jobs Which I have applied to in the last month haven't hired, anyone, Wasted effort for nothing I wish I Could Spot the Jobs which weren't meant for hiring!

Even tho I choose only one Job per day to look thoroughly and see if it is a Job I should apply to and is meant to be Hiring someone.

I wish I knew What I am missing here 🙂

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Sameed, there are 2 rules (plus a few more) for successful freelancing:

1. Know your specialities - inside out and backward and forwards

2. Grow a THICK SKIN

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Sameed A wrote:

Why is it the Jobs Which I have applied to in the last month haven't hired, anyone, Wasted effort for nothing I wish I Could Spot the Jobs which weren't meant for hiring!

Even tho I choose only one Job per day to look thoroughly and see if it is a Job I should apply to and is meant to be Hiring someone.

Well you'd have to be clairvoyant to know beforehand if a client changes his mind, hires on a different platform, runs out of money, or is hit by a car. But what you can do without that talent is look at the hiring rate and stay away from anything below xx% (insert your number, I advise you to stick with over 90% for now).

They may be taking jobs outside Upwork. Don't apply if they have not registered their payment method and hired several times.

jr-translation
Community Member

Sameed A wrote:

The feedback from the last client. You don't have a JSS yet, but a 3.95 in your work history.

Jennifer R wrote:

The feedback from the last client. You don't have a JSS yet, but a 3.95 in your work history.

I disagree with you, Jennifer. OK, it's not cool to have a 3.95 in your work history, but the feedback wasn't that bad.

Sameed, I would not have added any response to the client's feedback, it worsens the situation.

Anyway, you have to remember that there's a lot of comptetition on Upwork, and even when you do every thing right, it doesn't automaticaly mean getting jobs.

I wanted others to know what really was the Situation. that's the reason for adding my response!

Sameed A wrote:

I wanted others to know what really was the Situation. that's the reason for adding my response!

I know the feeling, but I don't think anyone is going to be very interested in knowing what the situation was, so if I were you, I wouldn't say anything. It's not really worth the trouble.

Luce N wrote:

Jennifer R wrote:

I disagree with you, Jennifer. OK, it's not cool to have a 3.95 in your work history, but the feedback wasn't that bad.

Sameed, I would not have added any response to the client's feedback, it worsens the situation.

Anyway, you have to remember that there's a lot of comptetition on Upwork, and even when you do every thing right, it doesn't automaticaly mean getting jobs.

You have to read between the lines. First he was hired at a fixed rate and everything was ok, but when he was rehired with an hourly contract, the client was far less satisfied especially regarding the quality and cooperation. Asking the freelancer to fix any problems would either increase the costs or end up in asking for free work. Something that does not happen with fixed rate contracts.

Might be I don't know while the client was on a tight budget and was happy with my work but still added a 3.95 in my work history.

Sameed A wrote:

... and was happy with my work but still added a 3.95 in my work history.

They gave you 2 stars out of 5 for Quality and Cooperation. Seems like they were just polite or were not comfortable telling the truth.

As for your response: it's impossible to decide who's right and who's wrong anyway. So a response usually looks silly.

Seems like I am at fault!

Sameed A wrote:

Seems like I am at fault!

It's not a matter of fault. The point of freelancing is to make money. Operating a successful freelance business online requires certain experience and expertise. You've received good advice here. It's up to you whether to argue with it or learn from it.

Sameed, there are 2 rules (plus a few more) for successful freelancing:

1. Know your specialities - inside out and backward and forwards

2. Grow a THICK SKIN

Thank you for your pro-found rules it really hit me!

Latest Articles
Learning Paths