cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't know about you, but I'm about to leave Upwork

Robert B Member Since: Feb 8, 2017
1 of 31

I've been using Upwork for a about 4 years now, and I'd say I'm only an occassional freelancer. I pick only jobs that interest me, and I have a day job, so this is basically just a side hustle for me. But Upwork is really starting to get on my nerves. First they start charging for Connects, now they want me to verify my identity using some convoluted process that requires me to disclose personal information. One of the nice things about Upwork used to be freedom, but now they're starting to impose all these rules. I've about had it.

Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
2 of 31

I am curious Robert, why did you post this?  Do you want group validation that other people are leaving, because I can guess that they are (but they may not post it here)?  Or were you looking for someone to tell you not to go?

I am personally fine with the changes but I can see why others are not.  I am also ambivalent about you leaving.  If you worked in a category that I do, I still wouldn't care.  Your personal choices are your choices, I just not sure why you want to inform me of them.

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
3 of 31

Mark, I'm not sure what OP's purpose was, but I find it useful when people make posts like this, because it gives us some indication of whether what many of us believe was Upwork's strategy in making these changes is working. This is a hash mark in the "yes" column--a freelancer who has earned a couple of thousand dollars across four years and just isn't a profitable customer for the company.

Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
4 of 31

Yeah, I am with you.

This is not my first time seeing this behavior (or my first forum to see it) and I just don't get it.  If you want to leave, leave.  If you want to quit, quit.  My natural reaction is:

21b.jpg

I put myself in there shoes...and I would just go.  I wouldn't have to know that it was bad for everyone else, it would just be enough that it was bad for me. 

So, sincerely, I would like to know why they do this...

Robert B Member Since: Feb 8, 2017
5 of 31

Just trying to get a feel for how others feel about these changes. I know no one here knows me, nor do they care what I do. Do the people who run Upwork have an explanation as to why they feel this is necessary? I can get charging for connects, I guess. Gotta make that money (although they do take a pretty generous cut of my earnings already). I guess it's this validation thing that was a step too far for me. You have to provide your pertinents when you sign up, and I personally don't have a problem getting photo ID, but I do have friends who freelance in other parts of the world who don't necessarily have access to government services like I do.

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
6 of 31

Robert B wrote:

Just trying to get a feel for how others feel about these changes. I know no one here knows me, nor do they care what I do. Do the people who run Upwork have an explanation as to why they feel this is necessary? I can get charging for connects, I guess. Gotta make that money (although they do take a pretty generous cut of my earnings already). I guess it's this validation thing that was a step too far for me. You have to provide your pertinents when you sign up, and I personally don't have a problem getting photo ID, but I do have friends who freelance in other parts of the world who don't necessarily have access to government services like I do.

I'm not wild about the identity verification process, especially since Upwork sidestepped the issue of security of our documents by referring us to an irrelevant privacy policy. But, I can certainly understand why they feel the need to verify. After all, they're liable for accurate tax reporting of payments made, ensuring that they're not paying freelancers in countries they are legally prohibited from doing business with, etc. I'm kind of surprised they didn't take this step sooner. I don't know this, but I'm wondering whether the push to do so now has to do with stricter regulations for a publicly traded company.

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
7 of 31

Robert B wrote:

Just trying to get a feel for how others feel about these changes. 

I don't think this matters since you're leaving, but since you asked, here's how I feel about this. 

Upwork has decided to get rid of free connects which is a decision that many successful freelancers applaud because it's not about money. It's about putting an end to the flow of spam proposals that clients receive. 

Upwork has been forced to perform mandatory and additional random video verification because profiles were sold to scammers who were in turn scamming clients. This scheme had to end.

Freelancers not happy with these changes will go somewhere else, just like you, and they will be immediately replaced by new ones.

And the business goes on.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
8 of 31

Robert B wrote:

UW hasn't turned a profit yet, and it's a near certainty they never will do so on the strength of charging for connects. The anticipated effect of that change will be to shed FLs who operate on such a small scale and/or with such a lack of business sense that the additional expense makes UW untenable; and FLs who "shotgun" proposals, generating avalanches of unqualified, irrelevant proposals that aggravate clients and drive them from the platform.

Randomly re-verifying identity is a substantial PITA caused by the proliferation of fraudulent profiles. 

For anyone earning occasionally and not a lot, and not depending on the income for their living, I can see how it would not be worthwhile.

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
9 of 31

Robert B wrote:

now they're starting to impose all these rules. I've about had it.

Robert, you made a sound decision. Many realize that Upwork doesn't work (anymore) for them, but they stay here and they complain. You did your math and you decided that the best option is to pack and to go someplace else. I commend your attitude and I wish your logical thinking will inspire others: You are doing what's the best for you.

There are many other opportunities out there and things change all the time. What works for one person one day may not work the next day. Adaptability is the key.

You may have already closed your account by now and you may never read this, but in any case I wish you the best.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
10 of 31

I think the original poster's post is a good post.

It is good to discuss things like this.

Maybe the original poster DOES want to elicit some other opinions on the matter.

Or maybe he is simply providing valuable feedback that Upwork can read and reflect upon.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS