Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't know about you, but I'm about to leave Upwork

Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
11 of 31

Sure, I am game.

I am not currently planning on leaving.

Charging for connects will likely have no real effect for me unless it allows me to find more work.  

I did the identity verified thing and I don't even remember how it went, if it was convoluted I already forgot.  I don't remember what personal information I disclosed, it does not concern me that much.

Community Leader
Alexander B Member Since: Mar 30, 2017
12 of 31

Exactly. I went and did the identity verify thing as soon as it became an option to do so. I'll say this, it was easy. 

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
13 of 31

I'm not about to leave Upwork because it is thus far, useful to me, and it saves me a bundle of accounting time.

However, If I am forced to verify my identity several times over, I will have to rethink my position (it will not make the slightest difference to Upwork if I stay or leave). I have already verified my identity once. I will have to do it again if I want the tick of approval. I do not want to hand over my passport details yet again to some faceless stranger without any assurance of security.  And yes, Upwork you can say things are secure, but you know what? These days, they are not. Hackers abound and you are not exactly in the FBI, CIA, or MI6 league and even there - as we all know only too well - leaks are profuse and sometimes, inundating. 

Upwork absolutely cannot assure me that its verification system is secure. I want to see the face of my interlocutor and I want to know what country he or she is based in and what system is being used. 

What I find incredible, is that Upwork does not correctly verify some fake freelancers who repeatedly make new accounts, who sometimes make money, but on totally false premises. These people somehow fly under the radar and Upwork turns a blind eye. I refer in particular to "Aussie Voices" and other profiles that many of us have reported several times over. 

Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
14 of 31

While the charging of connects is a slight annoyance, I actually appreciate the strategy. I am very selective in the jobs I apply for and accept, and have had a pretty high success rate (although I don't know the percentage) on getting the amount of work I need/want from UpWork. My biggest clients are not on UpWork; I got them through in-person networking. But I currently my two contracts are with two clients who have both said they intend to continue working with me indefinitely. So those are two good scores from UpWork. 

I can't even submit 10 proposals in a week, much less use 80 connects in a month. I also get invited frequently. I think this is the nature of freelancers who've built a successful freelancing business and who are actually "experts" or of the highest quality in their fields. 

Connects are really only a problem for the nondiscerning freelancer who wants to take any job, regardless of how vague the job description or disorganized the client. 

In regards to verifying identity, I'm mixed on the subject, but if it culls the crowd of bad freelancers so I can get to the good clients more easily, then I'm all for it. 

You know, if UpWork didn't exist, we'd all be out there wasting time on the networking hustle. UpWork provides a service of putting the clients and freelancers in the same room. Yes, other sites do this, but UpWork does it best (IMO). So yes, they are looking to turn a buck. That's called business. If you don't like it, do other traditional marketing and networking to find clients. Frankly, the bulk of my business comes from client referrals. UpWork does help though, and I consider it a marketing/business expense. 

I'm not sure why people seem to think that there are no business costs associated with freelancing or that access to these clients should be free. You don't like it? Go build your own platform. I don't mean that meanly. I'm just saying that if you have a better way then implement it. UpWork will run their business model in a way that maximizes profit for themselves. We are free to leave when we don't agree with it. 

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
15 of 31

Amanda L wrote:

[..]

In regards to verifying identity, I'm mixed on the subject, but if it culls the crowd of bad freelancers so I can get to the good clients more easily, then I'm all for it. 

[...]

I'm not against identification. I am against its randomness. 

Community Guru
Luce N Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
16 of 31

I'm so happy to notice that jobs offered by clients that have been getting cheap labour here for years are only getting less than 10 bids.

At last some justice! 

Community Guru
Sergio S Member Since: Dec 19, 2017
17 of 31

Robert B wrote:

... now they want me to verify my identity using some convoluted process...

Oh come on! It takes roughly 10 seconds. I guess that sooner or later it will become mandatory. It's to stop those fake accounts and fraudulent activities. I have been in another platform where the number of fake accounts was beyond words. I couldn't believe how freelancers were allowed to use even pictures of known actors, and freelancers were copying each other work! It's good that Upwork are more serious about that matter. I will applaud anything they do against scammers.

The paid connects could be a problem, yes, for freelancers who use Upwork not really frequently. So you got a point there, since you have a day job and you are using Upwork from time to time only.

Ace Contributor
Angela D Member Since: May 13, 2019
18 of 31

Sergio S wrote:

Robert B wrote:

... now they want me to verify my identity using some convoluted process that requires me to disclose personal information.

Oh come on! It takes roughly 10 seconds. I guess that sooner or later it will become mandatory. It's to stop those fake accounts and fraudulent activities.

While ID verification may be a quick process, freelancers do not have access to the privacy policy of the third-party service provider handling the verifications. Increased transparency would enable freelancers to make informed decisions regarding the uploading and storing of their government-issued photo IDs.

Per Upwork's June announcement, the ID verification requirement will soon apply to all earning freelancers. However, earning freelancers appear to account for a low percentage of the site's total freelancers. In turn, clients will still have significant exposure to unverified accounts when searching the freelancer marketplace and/or exercising their option to contract a freelancer who has not yet earned.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
19 of 31

Angela D wrote:

While ID verification may be a quick process, freelancers do not have access to the privacy policy of the third-party service provider handling the verifications. Increased transparency would enable freelancers to make informed decisions regarding the uploading and storing of their government-issued photo IDs.

Per Upwork's June announcement, the ID verification requirement will soon apply to all earning freelancers. However, earning freelancers appear to account for a low percentage of the site's total freelancers. In turn, clients will still have significant exposure to unverified accounts when searching the freelancer marketplace and/or exercising their option to contract a freelancer who has not yet earned.

Do they not divulge the third-party service? oof. I make too much money here, so it's a no-brainer for me to disregard the risk, but I can def understand why others are hesitant. The bugs alone are frustrating, and all it takes is one little bug to cause some privacy issues. For me, the income outweighs the risk, but I would think they would at least let people know what third-party they use.

Ace Contributor
Angela D Member Since: May 13, 2019
20 of 31

Jennifer M wrote:

Do they not divulge the third-party service? oof. I make too much money here, so it's a no-brainer for me to disregard the risk, but I can def understand why others are hesitant. The bugs alone are frustrating, and all it takes is one little bug to cause some privacy issues. For me, the income outweighs the risk, but I would think they would at least let people know what third-party they use.

Unfortunately, Upwork advised in this thread that they do not disclose the name of the third-party vendor handling verifications. In addition, it hasn't been confirmed if the government-issued photo IDs will be stored for 30 days as stated in the community forum or for "at least 5 years" as stated in Upwork's Privacy Policy

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS