🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Re: Dorian
Page options
kat303
Community Member

Dorian

Here we go again. Hurricane Dorian. Supposed to hit Florida as a cat 3. And models are pushing it farther and farther south. {please say some prayers)

23 REPLIES 23
allenwatson23
Community Member

Keep us updated. I know it'll be tricky for a few days. I'm here in SC.

Allen W wrote:
Keep us updated. I know it'll be tricky for a few days. I'm here in SC.

You're in the "oh, crap" zone now. Good luck!

I've been watching from the comfort of Brittany - it doesn't look good. I hope it veers off. I have friends who have just left Jackonsville in a  wee boat. Stay safe all. 

And now it appears that the coast will only get the left side/ dry side of the storm.  Wind, yes but no major event.  Fingers crossed that it stays that way.

petra_r
Community Member

lol.jpg

lysis10
Community Member

lmao it bleeped out the link dammit. It was cool. Gif of the eye but sub had naughty words DESTROY IT

I'm too lazy to go look for it again.

Is this the one?

This image shows a clear view of the hurricane's "stadium effect."

Jenn, that's equally awesome! (And I say that having declared a moratorium on the word "awesome" in January 2017.)

lysis10
Community Member

Florida gettin REKT

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

This could well be a two-parter, wreaking havoc across Florida, then getting into the Gulf and heading who-knows-where.

Oh, Phyllis, bite your tongue!  I am NOT prepared for anything to come to Mississippi this year.  Yesterday was the 14th anniversary of Katrina and I'm still recovering from all the retrospectives on television.

Mary W wrote:

Oh, Phyllis, bite your tongue!  I am NOT prepared for anything to come to Mississippi this year.  Yesterday was the 14th anniversary of Katrina and I'm still recovering from all the retrospectives on television.

IKR? I just feel, after last year's experience, like everything I thought I knew about hurricanes in my particular part of the world is out the window--except the way they can dance around the Gulf for days, going this way and then that.

Looks like it's supposed to turn again. I'm pretty stoked that I just get to watch this from the comfort of my home. People in ATL are weird though. They are all nervous about it "hitting" them and I'm all "LOL wat???"

They did that in 2017 with that hurricane that went up the center of FL and it was hilarious that schools and government offices were closed here for a little rain.

As of this morning, Florida looking pretty good.  North and South Carolina, maybe not so much.  Never a dull moment during high hurricane season.

Jennifer M wrote:

Looks like it's supposed to turn again. I'm pretty stoked that I just get to watch this from the comfort of my home. People in ATL are weird though. They are all nervous about it "hitting" them and I'm all "LOL wat???"

They did that in 2017 with that hurricane that went up the center of FL and it was hilarious that schools and government offices were closed here for a little rain.

Atlanta drivers generally lose their composure completely when it rains hard--which makes no sense whatsoever, considering the average annual rainfall stats. To really understand the community storm-siege mentality, though, you have to factor in the ice storm of 2014. The mayor and the governor were both not paying attention until it was too late, and all gov't offices and schools closed at once, in the early afternoon, as the storm was setting in. Everybody in Atlanta can't go home at once, even on a good day and this was a very bad day. Thousands of people were stranded on the road overnight, kids were trapped at school overnight with no provisions, it was an unholy mess. A few people died. 
Lots of drama queens love storm prep, granted, but there's also some genuine trauma in the backstory.

It seems Dorian is showing a liking for the Carolinas.  Charleston (a great city) is likely to get hammered.  The Atlantic coasts for both N and S Carolina the same.

Last year's hurricane added one dog to this manegerie bring the total to 4.  Translated, that means "Dorian, I can not afford another rescue. Stay the he// out of my backyard!"

Ohana, the last hurricane rescue, and no, her rump is not this large - odd angle.  🙂Ohana salivating over squirrelsOhana salivating over squirrels

Wendy, what about a frontal photo of Ohana?

Pat, from a face on shot, she bears a strong resemblance to a coyote. 😉

This is from the day I picked her up during the aftermath of the last hurricane.  Akela was none too happy as you can tell.

Carolina Dogs (aka American Dingo although most avoid the term for obvious reasons) are the earliest dogs in North America.  They've run wild for generations and interbred so they are very few with 100% classic lines, etc.  This interbreeding is probably why they have survived.  Ohana looks more like a classic CD than Akela but their personality quirks are identical.  As are the prehensile paws.

Akela & S'Ohana 10-25-18 A.JPG

Wendy, thanks for sharing. Beautiful dogs!  How do they get along with one another now? 

I must confess I had to google "prehensile paws."  Are they able to grasp pretty much everything as if they have hands or only certain things?

Absolutely adore each other now ... it took a while and more than a few bruises on me.  😉

Akela is the most mellow dog I've ever known ... and Ohana is on par with a human just beginning to emerge from the terrible 2s. 

Those prehensile paws (almost monkey fingers) can open doors, cabinets (including baby safety locked ones), drawers, bags, etc. and they both "hold" toys like a child does. Both have a proclivity to hold your hand when driving, reading, vegging ....

I've shared this before but when they aren't playing "Jaws Reincarnated" this exemplifies quiet time.A&O Nose 2 nose 12-21-18.jpg

Glad they get along well now. Ahh, what we do for our fur babies, right?

I well understand monkey fingers as I used to have a Rhesus. He never failed to totally amaze me.

Love the quiet time photo! I try to view most if not all of the critter posts/photos posted but don't remember seeing that one. Thanks for sharing!

Latest Articles
Learning Paths