🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Re: Economy affecting proposals?
Page options
tomzilla1
Community Member

Economy affecting proposals?

Anyone feel any changes in proposals or work here in the current economy?

21 REPLIES 21
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Tom Z wrote:

Anyone feel any changes in proposals or work here in the current economy?

Whose current economy? America's? There MIGHT be an economic downturn on the horizon, but it hasn't happened yet.

When I look at your profile, you seem to be getting loads of work and making really good money, so I don't understand why you make these worried posts every couple of days?

I make OK money -- I'm just a bit concerned because usually end of August is when I get crazy amounts of proposals and it's been quiet - ever since the update.

Tom Z wrote:

I make OK money -- I'm just a bit concerned because usually end of August is when I get crazy amounts of proposals and it's been quiet - ever since the update.

Do you mean invites?

Because proposals is the thing you send back to a client, not the the thing you get from a client.  Or do you mean job postings?

Oh yes, invites, and jobs. Very meager. Another guy posted on here Upwork has been slacking in google rankings in job searches in my field so that may be another.

Tom Z wrote:

Oh yes, invites, and jobs. Very meager. Another guy posted on here Upwork has been slacking in google rankings in job searches in my field so that may be another.

Slacking?

I think you and I have very different expectations for Upwork really.

Mark F wrote:

Tom Z wrote:

Slacking?

I think you and I have very different expectations for Upwork really.

$5K in new projects from June/July plus thousands more from 46 jobs in progress (!), and yet Tom is always in the forum commiserating with newbies who've made little or nothing on Upwork. I wish that I had such problems!

Attention seeking or the 'new and revitalized' Danny M perhaps?

I am a newbie honestly - most of you have been on here much longer than I have, so I'm learning the ropes. I saw this guy with like an impressive 500k, and another lady with impressive 3M profile -- sometimes I am a bit "concerned for nothing" I guess. You know this job is lonely and you guys are my friends in a way and just wanted to get some input on the current situation.

Calling yourself a newbie is like making fun of everyone around. Please, respect our brains.

Tom Z wrote:

I am a newbie honestly - most of you have been on here much longer than I have, so I'm learning the ropes. I saw this guy with like an impressive 500k, and another lady with impressive 3M profile -- sometimes I am a bit "concerned for nothing" I guess. You know this job is lonely and you guys are my friends in a way and just wanted to get some input on the current situation.

You've been here since 2015.

Not really, I probably created the account back then.

Tom Z wrote:

Not really, I probably created the account back then.

Your oldest job was from late 2015, so you have been active since then.

Tom Z wrote:

you guys are my friends 

70e73c010b39d66b00d00ea217c8db5b9989f977db5baa23a19d7f2b7fbb000f.jpg

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
creativedigit
Community Member

The fear of big economy change never clicked for me, whether global or local.

I mean, if the problem is affecting another 350 million people nationwide, or 7 billion people worldwide, what makes you so special that you don't want a crisis to affect you but are OK with everyone else's suffering?

Wassim T wrote:
The fear of big economy change never clicked for me, whether global or local.

I mean, if the problem is affecting another 350 million people nationwide, or 7 billion people worldwide, what makes you so special that you don't want a crisis to affect you but are OK with everyone else's suffering?

Like this saying:

“Recession is when your neighbor loses his job. Depression is when you lose yours."

I think that freelancers have less to worry about during a recession than permanent workers do. When a recession hits, companies will lay off employees and/or impose a hiring freeze, which could result in them needing more freelancers, not fewer. I weathered the last recession with no noticeable decline in work.

Christine A wrote:

I think that freelancers have less to worry about during a recession than permanent workers do. When a recession hits, companies will lay off employees and/or impose a hiring freeze, which could result in them needing more freelancers, not fewer. I weathered the last recession with no noticeable decline in work.

I always went for the contractor jobs, and while contractors have to know they are only there temporarily, you are right that companies come to us more during a recessing because we're cheaper in the long-run. We're a tax write-off too. Not sure how w-2 works but 1099-ers are a tax write-off.

florydev
Community Member

Jennifer M wrote:

Christine A wrote:

I always went for the contractor jobs, and while contractors have to know they are only there temporarily, you are right that companies come to us more during a recessing because we're cheaper in the long-run. We're a tax write-off too. Not sure how w-2 works but 1099-ers are a tax write-off.

I am not sure the tax write-off is all that much different but for a public company it definitely shows up on the books differently.  

lysis10
Community Member

Mark F wrote:

I am not sure the tax write-off is all that much different but for a public company it definitely shows up on the books differently.  

I am still trying to figure out how to make my new TVs a part of R&D for the tax writeoff. I want to be a SmartTV dev. WRITE OFF R&D!

florydev
Community Member

Jennifer M wrote:

Mark F wrote:

I am still trying to figure out how to make my new TVs a part of R&D for the tax writeoff. I want to be a SmartTV dev. WRITE OFF R&D!

Seems totally legit to me...

Thank you Christine, that helps - like I said, it's nice to learn from you guys.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths