Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Economy affecting proposals?

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
11 of 22

Tom Z wrote:

I am a newbie honestly - most of you have been on here much longer than I have, so I'm learning the ropes. I saw this guy with like an impressive 500k, and another lady with impressive 3M profile -- sometimes I am a bit "concerned for nothing" I guess. You know this job is lonely and you guys are my friends in a way and just wanted to get some input on the current situation.

You've been here since 2015.

Community Leader
Tom Z Member Since: Jul 10, 2016
12 of 22

Not really, I probably created the account back then.

Community Guru
13 of 22

Tom Z wrote:

Not really, I probably created the account back then.

Your oldest job was from late 2015, so you have been active since then.

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
14 of 22

Tom Z wrote:

you guys are my friends 

70e73c010b39d66b00d00ea217c8db5b9989f977db5baa23a19d7f2b7fbb000f.jpg

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Wassim T Member Since: May 29, 2015
15 of 22
The fear of big economy change never clicked for me, whether global or local.

I mean, if the problem is affecting another 350 million people nationwide, or 7 billion people worldwide, what makes you so special that you don't want a crisis to affect you but are OK with everyone else's suffering?
Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
16 of 22

Wassim T wrote:
The fear of big economy change never clicked for me, whether global or local.

I mean, if the problem is affecting another 350 million people nationwide, or 7 billion people worldwide, what makes you so special that you don't want a crisis to affect you but are OK with everyone else's suffering?

Like this saying:

“Recession is when your neighbor loses his job. Depression is when you lose yours."

Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
17 of 22

I think that freelancers have less to worry about during a recession than permanent workers do. When a recession hits, companies will lay off employees and/or impose a hiring freeze, which could result in them needing more freelancers, not fewer. I weathered the last recession with no noticeable decline in work.

Community Guru
18 of 22

Christine A wrote:

I think that freelancers have less to worry about during a recession than permanent workers do. When a recession hits, companies will lay off employees and/or impose a hiring freeze, which could result in them needing more freelancers, not fewer. I weathered the last recession with no noticeable decline in work.

I always went for the contractor jobs, and while contractors have to know they are only there temporarily, you are right that companies come to us more during a recessing because we're cheaper in the long-run. We're a tax write-off too. Not sure how w-2 works but 1099-ers are a tax write-off.

Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
19 of 22

Jennifer M wrote:

Christine A wrote:

I always went for the contractor jobs, and while contractors have to know they are only there temporarily, you are right that companies come to us more during a recessing because we're cheaper in the long-run. We're a tax write-off too. Not sure how w-2 works but 1099-ers are a tax write-off.

I am not sure the tax write-off is all that much different but for a public company it definitely shows up on the books differently.  

Community Guru
20 of 22

Mark F wrote:

I am not sure the tax write-off is all that much different but for a public company it definitely shows up on the books differently.  

I am still trying to figure out how to make my new TVs a part of R&D for the tax writeoff. I want to be a SmartTV dev. WRITE OFF R&D!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS