🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Expert Level - $9 an hour?
Page options
jmccpa
Community Member

Expert Level - $9 an hour?

As my hourly rate ranges from $95 to $150 an hour based upon my credentials and 50 years + of business experience, I expect to lose many jobs to those bidding 30% to 50% less than my rate.

Fortunately, I win some also.

Not to complain but to observe, I just lost a US Tax Preparation Job to a "credentialed" (Chartered Accountant) feeelancer from outside the US bidding $9.00 USD as an hourly rate. (Not a typo!)

The Job specified "Expert Level". Smiley Sad

Joe

Joseph M. C. ,P.C., CPA/ABV
10 REPLIES 10
bobafett999
Community Member

Well Joseph C, my esteemed neighbor in north, what can you do?

But isn't it the standard practice from well established US accounting firms to farm out those job to India?  I believe accounting jobs along with I were the first ones to go.

Hey, but you are winning some so it kind of evens out.

michael_skaggs
Community Member

Nature of the beast, unfortunately. The client can specify "Expert" all they want, but UpWork isn't gonna enforce any kind of pay standards for the different levels of experience.

So that's how you get people wanting "Expert" work, but who are only willing to pay bargain-basement prices. Then they wonder why what they get is sub-standard and they have to hire someone else at a higher rate to fix it.

"Buy once, cry once." Applies to everything from tools to services.

tlsanders
Community Member

Eh. People can ask for whatever they want. Maybe they'll get it, maybe not. Maybe when they see pricing, they'll decide that they don't need the level of expertise they'd originally hoped for, or can't afford it.

sivavranagaro
Community Member

It's an average salary in here. 

Yes. I know... Robot Indifferent

Don't get me started.

@Anthony H wrote:

Don't get me started.

Please do. Me loves reading you.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

@Rene K wrote:

@Anthony H wrote:

Don't get me started.

Me too 🙂

jolash
Community Member

@Rene K wroteundefinedpetra_r wrote:

@Rene K wrote:

@Anthony H wrote:

Don't get me started.

Me too 🙂

Me three!
Smiley Happy

genericuser12345
Community Member

That's the beauty of the free market economy, you can charge whatever you want but nobody is forced to pay it.

The flip side is also true: You pay whatever you want - but nobody is forced to accept it.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths