cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expert and entry level *

Ace Contributor
Andreea B Member Since: Nov 1, 2014
1 of 29

I was wondering today if anyone else thinks the looking for "Entry Level", "Intermediate" or "Expert" flags for the jobs are pretty stupidly used on Upwork. I feel like the clients all want experts, but they are rarely ready to pay the price. 

Do you think a better option would be to have for example hourly rate ranges or something like that? Not sure how that would work for the clients, but it would sure as hell help me figure out if I should even waste my connects trying to figure out if he put 5$ budget just because he didn't know how much to ask for, or he actually doesn't want to pay.

Curious what other people think about this.

P.S. I never got hired on any of the jobs where I actually wasted my connects. They usually reply saying that the price is too high for them.

Community Leader
Bruce D Member Since: Oct 1, 2015
2 of 29

I think that everyone thinks the looking for "Entry Level", "Intermediate" or "Expert" flags for the jobs are pretty stupidly used on Upwork.

Certainly many clients have no idea what a project should cost.  I try to get a sense from the job description of whether the person is genuine.  If so I may respond even if the estimated budget is too low. 

I don't think you should bother with $5 jobs, though. Not in your line of work.

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
3 of 29

I think it would be better not to have those designations at all. Let the client describe what they need and freelancers price as appropriate and the clients can accept or not.

The levels are entirely useless and often misleading, but dollar values would be just as bad.

Enrique P Member Since: Mar 29, 2019
4 of 29

I've been on Upwork for only a couple of years full-time and I'm just now starting to see the usage patterns for the Entry-Intermediate-Expert designations.

They are indeed useless because they are frequently mis-categorized by hiring parties as an avoidance of paying more than they are willing/able. Take a look at the categorization and then read what the project description actually asks for. Often, it's a contradiction.

I'm replying to this thread maybe two years after the OP and it's obvious the trend continues. Clearly this an area that Upwork can greatly improve for everyone in the marketplace.

For my part, I simply don't bid on projects that are categorized as Entry, regardless of what the description says. Additionally, if the project is categorized with a weekly hourly budget less than 30 hours, I also don't bother because what I do generally requires a full-time commitment if the project is to non-trivial / for commercial purposes.

Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
5 of 29

Dollar values are also no use because who would determine them? There's too many variables to work that out.

Personally I don't think I've ever posted a job with anything other than "Intermediate" selected...

Community Guru
Anthony H Member Since: Feb 22, 2017
6 of 29

I couldn't agree more. The "entry level," "intermediate" and "expert" designations are completely useless. 

Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
7 of 29

I would never send a proposal for anything "entry level".  I can talk them up on the price but not that much.  Anyone who wants an entry level paralegal doesn't want me.  Period.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
8 of 29

I rage a little inside when I see "expert level" and then budget: $20.

Sometimes I bid anyway. I have so many connects left every month that I blow them on stupid things alll the time.

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
9 of 29

This categorisation may not be that useful, generally speaking, but I definitely see one label that serves a purpose: Entry level.

That one at least makes things clear: they want the cheapest possible and they make it straight clear.

Entry level makes it easy to skim through job posts. That ones at least, you know you won't be interested in, and you don't need to waste your time reading them.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Melissa T Member Since: Dec 5, 2014
10 of 29

I'm with Rene. I see Entry Level and keep scrolling. It's an instant indicator of a bad fit for me. A low budget may be an error, an oversight, a misunderstanding. The choice of Entry Level is never any of those things. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS