Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

$$$ Expert level for $5 to translate 200 pages

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
11 of 21

Preston, your tie is choking you!

 

If there is no call for freelancers to be insulting, then there is no call either for clients to be insulting.  Some "clients" go beyond insulting and are abusive. Some clients are clearly not very willing to pay Upwork's basic rates and they are insulting. I sometimes think that clients need a reality check, particularly when one gets invites for 'lowest offer wins' type job offers. 

Community Guru
Luce N Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
12 of 21

I agree with Nichola. Some clients seen to take freelancers for beggars. What they dare to offer is often offensive and humiliating.

 

And I wish freelancers would stop encouraging that attitude by offering to work for crumbs. I don't see the point. They will never make a living by getting a $5 job or two once in a while, so what's the point? 

Active Member
Scott S Member Since: Feb 10, 2019
13 of 21

A slight tangent here. Unless I read the payout policy incorrectly, for the US freelancers anyway, you need to earn $100.00 after UPWORK claims it's fees to be able to grab your money. If that is true, to maintain my own personal policy, I won't do a job that doesn't meet the minimum for me to make $100 or more after the UPWORK %. So, if your rate $5 per whatever, you need to work through 25 of whatever unit your rate covers. I realize that for some tasks that might be a valid rate. If your rate is "hours" this is not a good rate, right? (thats rhetorical because there a many rabbit holes persuing this part of the discussion).  

 

btw: I am extremely disheartened at the quality of clients/buyers.

Community Guru
Luce N Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
14 of 21

I've never heard of the $100 minimum before, Scott, but then I don't live in the States. There should be some sort of rules to stop "clients" and "freelancing" aiming at rock bottom rates, because it's unethical and disgusting.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
15 of 21

Scott S wrote:

A slight tangent here. Unless I read the payout policy incorrectly, for the US freelancers anyway, you need to earn $100.00 after UPWORK claims it's fees to be able to grab your money.


Absolute nonsense.

The $ 100 is the minimum you can set an auto-withdrawal for. You can manually withdraw your money at any time you like, provided you have an available balance that exceeds the withdrawal fee.

 

Active Member
Scott S Member Since: Feb 10, 2019
16 of 21

Not sure why you had to be rude Petra. I don't appreciate being scolded because I might have misread a poorly written policy. I don't think it was "absolute non-sense." I qualified my statement, "if I read it correctly."

 

I am new to UPWORK. Figuring everything out isn't so easy and I also haven't received my first contract yet. I've already experienced a buyer trying to get work done for free during the interview, and a direct low-ball offer that would not have covered the time it took to read and understood a poorly written task request, and of course the many jobs listed that I could do but the freelancer proposals were outrageously low so it would be hard to compete. So far, this environment has proven, to me, to not be very productive or cordule. I've also seen an official moderator berated for trying to help with a difficult question related to a function the UPWORK website doesn't support.

 

Maybe I didn't read the policy correctly. The scenario/example given when setting my "Get Paid" configuration more or less explained what I would need to be able to collect my pay. If I misunderstood that, you simply could have said, "You misunderstood the policy" or "you didn't read it correctly."  Maybe you weren't trying to be rude? Then why didn't you proofread before clicking submit. I've read some of your other "contributions" to others in these forums. Regardless of how helpful your content might have been, I'm not the first one you've been rude to. No one needs to friends, but there is no reason to piss people off for no reason.

 

Now, I am not sure my opinion of the freelancers here are much better than of client/buyers.

Community Guru
Luce N Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
17 of 21

Scott, if you're new here, you need to be patient with Petra. She can be very blunt, but she's got many qualities.

 

I know because in the beginning I got extremely angry with her, but now I appreciater her a lot.

Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
18 of 21

Scott S wrote:

Not sure why you had to be rude Petra. I don't appreciate being scolded because I might have misread a poorly written policy. I don't think it was "absolute non-sense." I qualified my statement, "if I read it correctly."

 

I am new to UPWORK. Figuring everything out isn't so easy and I also haven't received my first contract yet. I've already experienced a buyer trying to get work done for free during the interview, and a direct low-ball offer that would not have covered the time it took to read and understood a poorly written task request, and of course the many jobs listed that I could do but the freelancer proposals were outrageously low so it would be hard to compete. So far, this environment has proven, to me, to not be very productive or cordule. I've also seen an official moderator berated for trying to help with a difficult question related to a function the UPWORK website doesn't support.

 

Maybe I didn't read the policy correctly. The scenario/example given when setting my "Get Paid" configuration more or less explained what I would need to be able to collect my pay. If I misunderstood that, you simply could have said, "You misunderstood the policy" or "you didn't read it correctly."  Maybe you weren't trying to be rude? Then why didn't you proofread before clicking submit. I've read some of your other "contributions" to others in these forums. Regardless of how helpful your content might have been, I'm not the first one you've been rude to. No one needs to friends, but there is no reason to piss people off for no reason.

 

Now, I am not sure my opinion of the freelancers here are much better than of client/buyers.


As a freelancer, one of the most useful things you can develop is a thick skin. It will help you distinguish between plain talk and rudeness, which in turn will save you a lot of energy otherwise spent processing and reacting to perceived insults. 

 

This forum is an absolute treasure-trove of knowledge and insights about how the platform works and how to succeed here. In general, I've found the most valuable comments often come from posters who speak directly and even bluntly. I do so myself, sometimes. I think it's partly provoked by the place being overrun with new arrivals whose questions make it obvious they haven't spent any time at all educating themselves about freelancing or about UW. (This is not directed at you, Scott, I'm speaking generally.) Often, they not only are getting into trouble and/or creating trouble for clients--all of which costs the platform valuable CS bandwidth--but they often tend to dramatize wildly about what is going on. Or what they think is going on.

 

There's a cadre of experienced regulars who are generous with their time and experience, offering information and guidance to whoever comes here with questions. There's not a lot of sugarcoating, though. 

 

And, BTW, sometimes a moderator brings inaccurate, incomplete, or simply wrongheaded input. When that happens, I'm really glad that Petra--or Tonya or Jennifer (either one of them, I can't keep their initials straight!) or Wassim or John or Wendy or one of a dozen or so others--is around to set the record straight. 

Active Member
Scott S Member Since: Feb 10, 2019
19 of 21

Thanks Phyllis.

 

Thick skin isn't the issue. I've been a freelancer for over 30 years in this and another industry. I have already seen the bandwidth issue. You can tell I've gone through a good share of UPWORK Background, etc based on most of my questions and "contributions." I have detected a number of the comments/questions where my response would have been "you would know this if you did your homework." btw: homework is something some of these youngins' might not know how to do because everyone gets a trophy. 

 

I don't think Petra was intending to be insulting. But being blunt, or honest or simple without being rude is certainly possible. To be blunt...she failed. In essence, that rude beginning to an accurate answer has become a distraction. I stipulate to her accuracy in correcting what I said. But, I wasn't that far off. I firmly believe in the Golden Rule (?) -- do unto others, etc. She could easily said, "You missed the part about...." Something like that is simply honest IMO.

Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
20 of 21

Scott S wrote:

Thanks Phyllis.

 

Thick skin isn't the issue. I've been a freelancer for over 30 years in this and another industry. I have already seen the bandwidth issue. You can tell I've gone through a good share of UPWORK Background, etc based on most of my questions and "contributions." I have detected a number of the comments/questions where my response would have been "you would know this if you did your homework." btw: homework is something some of these youngins' might not know how to do because everyone gets a trophy. 

 

I don't think Petra was intending to be insulting. But being blunt, or honest or simple without being rude is certainly possible. To be blunt...she failed. In essence, that rude beginning to an accurate answer has become a distraction. I stipulate to her accuracy in correcting what I said. But, I wasn't that far off. I firmly believe in the Golden Rule (?) -- do unto others, etc. She could easily said, "You missed the part about...." Something like that is simply honest IMO.


Scott, I've noticed that you are what I think of as a grown-up here, i.e. you ask informed questions. And I SO agree with your homework/trophy observation. 

 

I guess what I'm saying is that it's more useful--IMO--to choose not to be distracted by Petra's or anyone else's bluntness. She's probably answered that specific question dozens of times; it comes up all the time. I personally have a really hard time holding back the sarcasm sometimes, and often choose not to post an answer, even when I know it could be helpful to the person asking the question, because I simply can't muster the wherewithal not to be snarky about it, whereas I've seen Petra and a few other veterans answer the same questions over and over and over, with more patience than I will ever bring. They're often blunt and sometimes sarcastic, but never gratuitously mean. 

 

Anyway, if you have freelance chops already then you'll probably succeed here. I've connected with clients whom I never in a million years would have found (or would have found me) out in teh world at large.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS