🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Re: Eye drops for cataracts
Page options
ravi_iitian
Community Member

Eye drops for cataracts

“Scientists in California are investigating a naturally occurring steroid called lanosterol that could be used one day to treat cataracts. It may be possible one day to simply use lanosterol in the form of a topical eye drop to reduce cataract development. The cost of lanosterol drops would be much lower than the cost of cataract surgery. Millions of dollars are spent by patients, insurance companies and government health care to pay ophthalmologists and co-managing optometrists to remove cataracts surgically. Lanosterol eye drops could potentially be a safe, non-invasive alternative to cataract surgery in patients that have moderate forms of cataracts.”

https://www.verywellhealth.com/eye-drops-for-cataracts-3421711

"Certa bonum certamen"
3 REPLIES 3
mwiggenhorn
Community Member

Interesting but one problem:  when you get cataract surgery, the  new lenses correct your vision.  I wore glasses for 50+ years and they had gotten terribly expensive.  My last pair cost over $600 because of my correction.  After cataract surgery, I only need over-the-counter readers (3 pairs for $15).  My vision is now 20/20 in one eye and 20/40 in the other.  Drops would dissolve the cataracts but the vision correction feature wouldn't be there.

I love my new eyes and wouldn't trade them for anything!

@Mary W wrote:

Interesting but one problem:  when you get cataract surgery, the  new lenses correct your vision.  I wore glasses for 50+ years and they had gotten terribly expensive.  My last pair cost over $600 because of my correction.  After cataract surgery, I only need over-the-counter readers (3 pairs for $15).  My vision is now 20/20 in one eye and 20/40 in the other.  Drops would dissolve the cataracts but the vision correction feature wouldn't be there.

I love my new eyes and wouldn't trade them for anything!

I'm glad that was a positive experience for you. My mom had cataract surgery last year, and they neglected to tell her that she would be trading her currently-good short-range vision for improved long-range vision. As a retired person in poor health, reading is her main passtime, and she's been very unhappy with the results.

I suspected I would need cheaters for reading and the computer but I have been delighted with the results.  Sorry to hear your mother is not so happy.

Glaucoma runs in my family and cataract surgery also reduces the pressure in your eyes dramatically - an added benefit.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths