🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Favorite Vacation Destination Contest Upwork ...
Page options
lenaellis
Community Member

Favorite Vacation Destination Contest Upwork Water Bottle

As the weather begins to get colder here in the United States, we are dreaming of vacation destinations. We would love to hear about where you like to travel (warm or cold) and why its meaningful to you. Share photos, stories, whatever you'd like.

We will allow entries until next Monday 11/12 at 8am PST. When entries close, we will then begin the voting through Kudos. The entry with the most kudos will win an Upwork waterbottle. 

vacation.jpegScreen Shot 2018-11-05 at 9.38.53 AM.png

Untitled
19 REPLIES 19
hfspeegle
Community Member

Shortly after my wife and I became engaged, we began traveling each summer to the town of Gulf Shores, Alabama on the Gulf of Mexico coast. We continued the tradition after we married and after the arrival of our children. Freelancing allows me to visit whenever I like, and my wife has summers off as she is a schoolteacher. 

My state has plenty of natural beauty, but the gulf coast truly stands out with sapphire water and sugar-white sand. Here is a photo from last summer.The beach at Gulf ShoresThe beach at Gulf Shores

I used to go to Gulf Shores during the summer. A family that I babysat for would bring me along to watch their 4 children. I always loved going out there to the ocean where you could sometimes spot dolphins. And at night we would hunt for these little crabs in the sand. Being from Michigan, we have lots of lakes, but they're not as magnificent as the ocean. 

Untitled

@Lena E wrote:

I used to go to Gulf Shores during the summer. A family that I babysat for would bring me along to watch their 4 children. I always loved going out there to the ocean where you could sometimes spot dolphins. And at night we would hunt for these little crabs in the sand. Being from Michigan, we have lots of lakes, but they're not as magnificent as the ocean. 

Yeah, but at least in Michigan lakes you don't have to worry about sharks and poisonous jellyfish  Smiley Surprised

@Virginia F wrote:

@Lena E wrote:

Yeah, but at least in Michigan lakes you don't have to worry about sharks and poisonous jellyfish  Smiley Surprised

That is true! We just have to worry about our lake water being contaminated. Several beaches were closed this past summer because of the water quality.  

Untitled

We love the dolphins, Lena! Here is a dolphin photo from our last trip.IMG_0160.jpg

lysis10
Community Member

Not an entry, but man every beach pic I see makes me miss the beach. I was always a beach bum, and now in ATL I'm something like 8 hours or something from the beach. Blah. I got to see the leaves change this year though and that was neat for a born and raised Floriduh person.

Oh Jennifer I didnt realize you moved. Atlanta is nice as well, but I can see the lure of Florida. I travelled to Sanibel this past spring and fell in love. The sand felt like flour. I had never felt "soft" sand before lol.

Untitled
fkose1993
Community Member

Cappadocia / TurkeyCappadocia / TurkeyI'm planning a trip to Cappadocia.  It's a place with interesting shaped volcanic rocks and famous with it's underground city which allegedly built in  3000s B.C.    There are hotels with rooms basically restored caves with authentic furnitures and there are hot air balloon tours in all seasons. Also it has the biggest Turkish carpet shops, most of them owned by same family for generations.  I'm waiting until winter so I get to watch the snow-covered Cappadocia from a balloon.  I have acrophobia so that's going to be  very interesting experience. 

Oh wow Fatih! When you make your trip to Cappadocia please share photos with us!!

Untitled
mtngigi
Community Member

Living in Colorado is like a vacation every day, IMHO. I like to do road trips … just get in the car and go. Love going to New Mexico, only a 3-hour drive away. But one place near and dear to my heart is Grand Lake. The lake is the largest natural body of water in Colorado. Grand Lake is the town that brought me to Colorado from New England. I came for a summer to work and backpack … and never left.

Rocky Mountain National Park, Arapahoe National Forest … in Grand Lake you're surrounded by beauty no matter which direction you look to. I never tire of getting up there (elevation 8,369′) - it's my "home town" in my adopted state.

If you were a fan of "Northern Exposure" - that's very much what that town and it's residents are like. A year-round population of about 500 meant a very close-knit community. It will always be my favorite place to visit. In the winter when all the tourists were gone, that was my favorite time to enjoy it.

The lake in winterThe lake in winter

An aerial viewAn aerial view

browersr
Community Member

I'll talk about several which will invalidate me for this contest, but I already have a UW water bottle, so...

So much depends on what you are in the mood for. Sometimes it's adventure and others it's total relaxation, so hard to choose just one.

In the US, Western Washington where I live offers amazing beauty if you like the outdoors. Humorously Virginia above references the show Northern Exposure as a way to relate something to Colorado. The show though was shot here in WA so you could go to the real thing! 🙂 That said and I have driven through every state in the US and many multiple times. As unbelievable as Western Washington is, Colorado is in fact the most beautiful and awe inspiring of any. Well to be clear, Western Colorado. Eastern Colorado, just like Eastern Washington...not so much (no offense!) To match Colorado you have to go to Canada. The Rocky mountains are a spiritual experience (made better by listening to John Denver as you take them in). As great as so many other states are, Virginia's pick is hard to argue with.

For warmth in the US, my favorite is Wailea on the Hawaiian island of Maui. I've been to all of the Hawaiian islands and Wailea for me has the best balance of things to do yet relative quiet to enjoy the beaches and sun in total relaxation. 

Otherwise my pick is France of which I cannot adequately write about here. I realize this is probably considered an "easy" pick but there is a reason for that. The mix of culture, history, food, language, beauty and transportation, hit every marker. This isn't just about Paris (although it easily could be) but also about the Loire Valley (Chenoncau!), Normandie (yes it was real and not just a movie), Mont-Saint- Michel (rudest people and your car could be washed out to sea, but gorgeous!) and the no need for introductions, South of France. It's all together rather hard to go wrong here in any season. Oh, and they just happen to speak the most beautiful language on the planet. 🙂

Thanks a lot, Upwork. I am now off to check deals on Expedia. I'll tell my clients it's your fault!

mtngigi
Community Member

@ Scott - I do know where Northern Exposure (one of my favorite shows ever) was shot. I was talking about the small, close-knit and diverse community who all get along and look out for each other. And yes, there are moose walking the streets as well.

Smiley Wink

browersr
Community Member

@Virginia F wrote:

@ Scott - I do know where Northern Exposure (one of my favorite shows ever) was shot. I was talking about the small, close-knit and diverse community who all get along and look out for each other. And yes, there are moose walking the streets as well.

Smiley Wink

I know the point you were making. I just thought it was funny using what was actually WA as a pointer to CO (and it suited me perfectly given my location). Was just making a funny here. 

Hey Scott, since you already have a waterbottle we can find something else to send if you win 😉

Untitled
e_luneborg
Community Member

I never really go on vacation, but I do travel a lot! 

My favourite place on earth is Bali, and if I could I would stay here forever! Beautiful nature, lovely people, good food, and just as important – the weather is so much nicer than i Norway! The only downside is that after I went here for the first time in March this year i kinda lost the motivation to go to other places. I have visited other countries as well of course, but for some reason I keep on coming back to Bali again and again. Too bad it's hard for europeans to get a residency here. 😞

IMG_1103.JPGfullsizeoutput_446.jpeg

When I studied I also spent a year on Gran Canaria. Everybody got exited about it because that is a typical holiday destination. For me it was like exile. I don't spend a lot of time on the beach and after 2 months I had to travel and visit a friend in London for a few days.

Then I worked some 5 years in the Harz mountains. Another typical holiday destination in the heart of Germany. Everybody around me told me I was lucky to work in such a great environment but I was working in an office not the forest.

Then I spend 5 weeks in Florence. One day I have to go back to visit some more historical sights. There is far too much to see.

For the past 6 years I am living in Norway, yes another holiday destination for Germans, but I am enjoying it. It is nice and warm in summer and cold and snowy in winter. No need for travelling to far away places really. What I enjoy are trips to other cities and explore them e.g. with free walking tours where you tip the guide afterwards. We also used to rent bikes and rode to places outside the cities. 

Since we had our kid travels have been reduce to visiting the families back in Germany (quite the opposite of vacation). But once or twice a year DH or I are allowed 3 days off to do some travelling on our own...

Thanks for sharing Jennifer. I'm glad to hear you have found a place that you enjoy. Norway sounds lovely and it has all the seasons with the ability to travel locally. I know first hand how trying it can be travelling with children, especially if they're younger. 

Untitled
lenaellis
Community Member

Ok everyone, replies have now been turned off. Thanks for sharing your favorite vacation destinations. Community members kudos the post you like. The author of the post with most kudos by Friday at 2pm PST will win the Upwork Waterbottle. 

Untitled

Congratulations to Heath for sharing about his vacation in Gulf Shores Alabama, and receiving the most Kudos on this thread!
Untitled
Latest Articles
Learning Paths