🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Re: Feature Suggestion
Page options
muiz_ahmed
Community Member

Feature Suggestion

I was just randomly thinking that Upwork should introduce a "Message Seen" feature in their messaging interface, like all the other popular messengers. What are your thoughts on it? What can be the pros and cons of this feature? 

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

If a message has shown up on a client's screen, how do I know they actually read it?

If a message is displayed on a client's screen, but they have not replied to it, then how does it benefit me to know that the message was displayed on their screen?

What I'm most interested in is what they actually take the time to write to me.

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with the "message seen" feature. Would it be something like this:

"Daniel: I sent a message to you yesterday, asking if you wanted me to change the color for the headlines on the site. You did not yet reply, by I noticed that my message DID show up on your screen. Are you ignoring me?"

Thanks for your thoughts Preston. I was just suggesting this because I've noticed many clients would interview and then won't sent an update that they've decided not to hire. So in those case at least I know and I can start looking for other projects. As for the part regarding message showing up on client's screen, I'm not sure how this feature works on other messengers but maybe it only marks it as seen when the tab is active.

It was just a random suggestion. You guys are much more experienced and know much better.

Thanks

Muiz Ahmed

Muiz A wrote:

Thanks for your thoughts Preston. I was just suggesting this because I've noticed many clients would interview and then won't sent an update that they've decided not to hire. So in those case at least I know and I can start looking for other projects.

You don't have to wait for a client to respond; just go ahead and apply for other projects. Then if the first client gets back to you and you're too busy, just politely tell them that you're no longer available.

Christine A wrote:

Muiz A wrote:

Thanks for your thoughts Preston. I was just suggesting this because I've noticed many clients would interview and then won't sent an update that they've decided not to hire. So in those case at least I know and I can start looking for other projects.

You don't have to wait for a client to respond; just go ahead and apply for other projects. Then if the first client gets back to you and you're too busy, just politely tell them that you're no longer available.

Christine's point might be the most important one you will ever read if you breath it in and make it part of what you do.  

I work for me.  My business is not contingent on anyone (or entity like Upwork), except me.  I wait for no one.  As much as I might think that a client is good or the work is interesting I have seen too many minds changed and projects cancelled.

Plus, if they really want you then maybe they will wait for you to finish your next bit of work and things stack up nice.  If not, they are they ones who missed out.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths