🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Re: Foolish or stupid?
Page options
hoyle_editing
Community Member

Foolish or stupid?

OK, 

Well, just thought i'd share this experiance as i feel i may have been a little over sensitive/foolish so thought i'd come here for a roasting Smiley LOL

I often have a list of submitted proposals, and if/when a client contacts me to discuss the job i'd say i generally have a fairly high conversion (its getting the response from the initial proposal thats the hardest bit)

Anyways, i just had a client chat to me about a job i sent a proposal to a few days ago, all was well and the client sent a message saying....

"I'm happy to start the contract but I'm only going to pay for it if I like the video so it would be best if you send through a first draft which shows how you use text in the video also as an example."

Now, ive never had anyone say anything like this before, and naturally when working for a client i will always do whatever i can to ensure the client is happy. But this statement instantly gave me a bad feeling about the client and could just see the job turning into a bit of a nightmare -

So, i did what any sane person that really needs as much work as possible would do  - I turned it down!!!

First time ive ever turned a job down on here (ones that ive specifically applied to anyway).

Now i'm thinking ive just shot myself in the foot and shouldnt be so sensitive Smiley LOL

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
renata101
Community Member

Jonathan H wrote:

"I'm happy to start the contract but I'm only going to pay for it if I like the video so it would be best if you send through a first draft which shows how you use text in the video also as an example."

@Jonathan   Foolish or stupid? Neither.

Any contract negotiation that begins with the client itemizing the circumstances under which you will not be paid is one you should consider ending abruptly.  The "don't waste my time" posturing can be a sign that the client may expect free reign to monopolize all of yours. The question is not whether you should turn it down, but how fast.

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
florydev
Community Member

Nope. Instincts are important and I think I would make the same call.

There are always more clients.

Thanks! Yes i decided that instinct could win on this one!! Smiley LOL

I will keep telling myself another one will come along any moment haha

lysis10
Community Member

>  Now, ive never had anyone say anything like this before,

oh sweet summah child. Welcome to Upwork.

You did the right thing, brah. Dump that zero and get yourself a hero.

abinadab-agbo
Community Member

Foolish or stupid?  

Mate, that was a stupid good decision!

And thanks for the mini-thriller action story, Jon!

Blew me away!

abinadab-agbo
Community Member

In retrospect, though, it's super annoying what freelancers have to put up with on Upwork.

Can anybody have the guts to come to my B&M office and ask for free work (however which way the request is couched)?

Why are freelancers having to have to get in contact with clients who ask for free work?

And, are you aware that if you report that client from Upwork messages, Trust & Safety will take absolutely no action on that client, and if you ask them why, they could tell you you have insufficient evidence of TOS violation?

re: "I'm happy to start the contract but I'm only going to pay for it if I like the video so it would be best if you send through a first draft which shows how you use text in the video also as an example"

LOL.

Thanks for sharing that.

That's music to the ears of this client's competitors.

Obviously every business would be happy to know that its direct competitors are doing something so counter-productive.

Successful business sometimes pay for work they can't use. That's a key to their success.

For example, a successful movie studio may purchase dozens of film scripts every year that it never actually films. A successful film may have hours of footage that it doesn't actually use. There may be many actors who were hired and filmed who don't even appear in the final cut.

Someone who tries to pinch pennies by avoiding paying the people they hire to work for them is not a real businessperson. Such a person is never going to truly innovate or grow their business.

It is indeed annoying, and until now its not something i have had to deal with as i try my best to be selective over the jobs i actually send proposals to. 

I dont think this client really understood, and when i apologised that i cant/dont work for free and it would be in violation of Upwork TOS she tried to reason it a little more, but i had already made my decision and just said "sorry but on this occasion i am going to politely decline the work but thanks dfor taking the time to talk"

I am fairly sure this particular client will continue to want the same, and much of the trouble is there are many that would take it without a thought. (no doubt before coming here and asking why they havnt been paid)

You need to report this person for asking for free work.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Jonathan,  gut instinct is a FLer's best friend and as important as talent, skills, and biz sense.  Good for you!

Thank you - i think i now feel suitably justified Smiley Very Happy

Jonathan H wrote:

Thank you - i think i now feel suitably justified Smiley Very Happy

Good for you! May I suggest now you go for a baby-free picture?

No way, he has every right to remain the proud dad he is.
And, his kid's face isn't showing anyways.

Yes of course you may suggest it! Smiley Tongue

Seems like the baby's gone. Hope you're still proud to have a baby!

Luce N wrote:

No I can still see it's little feet. 

wrote:

Luce N wrote:

@martina_plaschka wrote:

Luce N wrote:

That's extremely strange! It's unusual for people to post photos of themselves with one of their baby's feet!

Luce N wrote:

wrote:

Luce N wrote:

@martina_plaschka wrote:

Luce N wrote:

That's extremely strange! It's unusual for people to post photos of themselves with one of their baby's feet!

It better be! How does the client know who he hires, the freelancer or his baby's foot?

Any client that thinks a babys foot is doing thier work is not a client i would be keen to work for. Smiley Wink

Luce N wrote:

I certainly am - and no not gone anywhere, I am quite happy with my picture Smiley Very Happy

Jonathan H wrote:

Yes of course you may suggest it! Smiley Tongue

Thank you! People get so sensitive when it comes to their kids, you wouldn't believe it! 

renata101
Community Member

Jonathan H wrote:

Any contract negotiation that begins with the client itemizing the circumstances under which you will not be paid is one you should consider ending abruptly.  The "don't waste my time" posturing can be a sign that the client may expect free reign to monopolize all of yours. The question is not whether you should turn it down, but how fast.

Renata S wrote:

Jonathan H wrote:

Great answer

Latest Articles
Learning Paths