cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For Fulltime Freelancers

Community Guru
Robert James R Member Since: Apr 17, 2015
1 of 24

Hi. If you're a full-time freelancer, what urged you to go down this road?

Did you have a previous job that sucked? Or are you in the process of getting a dayjob and temporarily trying to make ends meet by freelancing? How long have you been freelancing and how long do you plan to do full-time freelancing?

To start things off, I was a food scientist for 5 years before my last stint at this company (which I recently transferred to) changed my job description to something I did not like. I quit after just 6 months since if I didn't, I would be relocated immediately. That would be Feb 6 of this year and I'm 25 so it went without saying I practically didn't have much to live with (although I made a lot of investments but none of them has matured yet) and I found myself half-regretting I didn't take the offer.

I was already a fixed-price freelancer here in oDesk (UpWork) for two years so I figured I might as well go full-time while I'm applying for other dayjobs. Days after I quit, I was fortunate enough to work with 3 long term clients to which I still work for to this date. As such I found the exchange rate quite favorable to me (43-ish per dollar) hence I decided to stay longer as a full-time freelancer and forget the dayjob search for a while.

As to how long I plan on doing this, I cannot say but if fate is kind enough, perhaps a year at least. By then I would've had enough to start a small business that would generate passive income in which I would definitely stop freelancing and try the "real world" again.

Thank you!

Community Guru
Cristian-Adrian F Member Since: May 6, 2015
2 of 24

"Did you have a previous job that sucked? Or are you in the process of getting a dayjob and temporarily trying to make ends meet by freelancing? How long have you been freelancing and how long do you plan to do full-time freelancing?"

Here we have a very basic aspect in mind: I bill the client according to a specified rate, the client pays me and everyone is happy. Why would you choose a full-time job in reality, when you can work remotely and have decent earnings?

I don't really see your point. I have been working since I was 16 as freelancer (on other crowdsourcing website, recently moved here), and been in both full-time and part-time job types. Full-time freelancing from your home would feel like going to a part-time job, with 2 hours spent only on the road or lose your temper in traffic.

Some people might disagree and say they have better earnings with a real job, but for me that time lost on the way to some office around the town doesn't make it worth.

Community Guru
Robert James R Member Since: Apr 17, 2015
3 of 24

LOL my point was to simply know your background before you went full time and maybe why.

People nowadays haha

Thanks for answering anyway.

Community Guru
4 of 24

"what urged you to go down this road?" - this felt like a subtle reference, but nevermind, maybe I shouldn't have taken that in a sensible way. Smiley Happy Why would you want to find out the actual reason for someone who's freelancing in a full-time manner, as long as it's well worth? It's not like:

<Hey, how is your work today? We are working at some decent rates on Upwork, I guess we should ask ourselves why we haven't came back to a normal job with a monthly salary, where your boss can abuse you and become a workaholic.>

I don't get what you meant by 'People nowadays", is it a stereotype or something?

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 24

Christian-Adrian:

Thank you for sharing your experiences working as a full-time contractor.

It sounds like this way of working has worked out really well for you, which is a good thing.

The details you shared are interesting and informative.

Community Guru
6 of 24

Yes, Preston, thank you. I don't know if I should detect a little sarcasm in there, and sure you have far more to tell, I was trying to emphasize something, my experience is irrelevant, as I am in my bloody twenties.

Community Guru
7 of 24

re: "I don't know if I should detect a little sarcasm"

No. I was being serious.

Don't discount your experience! You've been doing this since you were 16-years-old!

I've been freelancing less than a year, and I'm not even doing it full-time. I think the sustained success you've been able to achieve is legitimately something people should look to as a positive story. So, no, I wasn't being sarcastic.

I thought Robert asked a very good question, and you gave a very good answer. Not sure what he meant by "people nowadays"... maybe he perceived something that wasn't intended.

Community Guru
8 of 24

Your freelancing experience is under one year, but you have over twenty in the field. Presumably, you can't get straight to development at the very beginning, speaking of our domain, but I can say I went through the all stages... meaning data entry up to now, and still have loads of things to acknowledge for achieving a decent hourly rate.

Thus, your earning curve is way sharper than other's. In fact, you're the first one that I've seen on Upwork/Elance working with that amount of money, well you can't discount that.

Community Guru
9 of 24

Christian-Adrian,

Yes, what you say is true...

My hourly rate is based not on less than one year as a contractor, but on over 20 years of work experience.

Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
10 of 24

- I'm a full-time freelancer and I plan to stick to it for as long as possible. What I love about freelancing:

• The freedom of working whenever I want and wherever I want
  • Being able to give myself a raise whenever I feel like it
  • Saying NO to potential clients who seem troublesome

- My previous job (at a startup) SUCKED and I earned roughly 6 times less than what I do now.

- My dad actually came across oDesk/Upwork and urged me to try it out Smiley Tongue

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS