cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For Fulltime Freelancers

Community Guru
Oreofe J Member Since: May 8, 2015
11 of 24

Isabelle. Buy your Dad a drink. And please do that , same day every year you spend freelancing. There so much you will learn and gain here (without leaving your desk) with minimum fuss.

Community Guru
Robert James R Member Since: Apr 17, 2015
12 of 24

I don't mean offense when I mentioned "down this road". As for my comment on "people nowadays", I perceived you were offended by my questions or rather use of words to ask my questions. If nothing bad was meant then I apologize for it.

As for my reason why I asked, I simply want to know the people who frequent this side of the website more. I guess I was curious when I made this thread.

And I checked Preston's profile and wow it was stellar indeed. I could never charge that high with writing jobs. I guess I should learn something new, then.

Community Guru
Cristian-Adrian F Member Since: May 6, 2015
13 of 24
If you are a good writer, then I suggest not moving into another field, especially programming, or just maybe perfecting yourself. Graphics might be a second viable alternative.
Community Guru
Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
14 of 24

I simply couldn't get a job after I came back from China. I'm still not sure how to get a real job since all potential references would be from the other side of the world or people I haven't met!

However, one day I took the odesk basic skills test having clicked on the odesk link randomly. I passed, filled in the profile, and carried on from there. For all the problems with the changes, I am  grateful to odesk for giving me the opportunity. 

Community Guru
15 of 24
What's the oDesk basic skill test, more specifically?
Community Guru
16 of 24

The readiness test for contracters. I only filled in the profile in the first place because by some fluke I came 2nd.

Community Guru
17 of 24

Sounds great, Ramon. Thank you for this hint, haven't thought to take any non-technical tests until now, I believe this might help standing out of the crowd, when a client skims through candidates.

Community Guru
Natasha R Member Since: Aug 2, 2010
18 of 24

Ace Contributor
Caroline A Member Since: Dec 26, 2014
19 of 24

Back then in 2012 when I was still in college, but i was about to take a year furlough, my friend just tried oDesk and she said she has earned $400 for her first 2 weeks in oDesk and just bought herself a new cellphone

Wow-ed, I tried to create an account too...

Third day after creating account I got my first job (pretty fast, luckily) 

Reason to stay freelancing :

- I dont have to wait for weekend to hang out 

- I dont have to wake up at 8

- No need transportation , fee, lunch money

- I can choose what job to take , which client to work with

- Flexible life easy life

- Freelancing makes 3x more money than regular full day job (in same expertise same job in my country).

- International clients appreciate our work better than my domestic clients

My friends always ask me from time to time 

"Are you still doing that freelancing? Until when do you want to stay freelance only? Dont you want to look for regular day job?"

They dont know the income here is 3x but 1/2 less pain than regular job

So I will continue freelancing until oDesk banned my account Smiley Tongue

Community Guru
20 of 24

But you claim to be from the United States.  How is it that $13 an hour could be 3 times that of a professional wage in the US? Guess the recession his America much harder than we were led to believe!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS