Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

For everyone who thinks the Upwork commission is unfair, I trump all of you.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
11 of 18

Nichola L wrote:

 

 


Jennifer M wrote:

And because this is my thread and I'll cry if I want to, two more things the universe has decided to ruin.

 

I did not get chosen by an Enterprise client I really wanted to work for.

 

And the owners of the place I rent refuse to negotiate and are jacking my monthly rental payment to $1700/month, which is $130/month more than what I currently pay. I pay it or get out.

 

OK, universe, you can stop pooping on me now.


___________________________
Get a mortgage and buy ... 

 

ETA: And look on the bright side. You could be on one of those ghastly cruise liners with 2999 people quarantined because one person has been tested positive for corona virus. 

 


I had a mortgage, Nichola. I'm not sure I ever want to buy again. I like renting because I can up and move any time I want, but of course this is the downside. I'm at my last attempt and threatening to move, so I'll see if they budge. 

 

The beer virus is a scary thing and I'm glad I'm not traveling or flying anywhere. Smiley Very Happy Maybe this is an advantage of freelancing and being an introvert. Reduced chance of getting the global virus that will kill everyone? The world will just have us left. Smiley Very Happy

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
12 of 18

Jennifer M wrote:

Nichola L wrote:

 

 


Jennifer M wrote:

And because this is my thread and I'll cry if I want to, two more things the universe has decided to ruin.

 

I did not get chosen by an Enterprise client I really wanted to work for.

 

And the owners of the place I rent refuse to negotiate and are jacking my monthly rental payment to $1700/month, which is $130/month more than what I currently pay. I pay it or get out.

 

OK, universe, you can stop pooping on me now.


___________________________
Get a mortgage and buy ... 

 

ETA: And look on the bright side. You could be on one of those ghastly cruise liners with 2999 people quarantined because one person has been tested positive for corona virus. 

 


I had a mortgage, Nichola. I'm not sure I ever want to buy again. I like renting because I can up and move any time I want, but of course this is the downside. I'm at my last attempt and threatening to move, so I'll see if they budge. 

 

The beer virus is a scary thing and I'm glad I'm not traveling or flying anywhere. Smiley Very Happy Maybe this is an advantage of freelancing and being an introvert. Reduced chance of getting the global virus that will kill everyone? The world will just have us left. Smiley Very Happy


_________________

Re mortgage - I think owning outweighs renting. I know owning has its disadvantages, but renting always means you are in thrall to some owner. I hate that. 

 

Community Guru
Richard W Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
13 of 18

 


Jennifer M wrote:

 

The beer virus is a scary thing 

There's a beer virus? Nooooooooooooo. Is nothing safe any more?

 

And please don't "trump" me. How I've come to hate that word.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
14 of 18

Richard W wrote:

 


Jennifer M wrote:

 

The beer virus is a scary thing 

There's a beer virus? Nooooooooooooo. Is nothing safe any more?

 


I am soooo slow.

I only just "got" the beer virus reference.

 

Cheers!

301700-Corona-710ml1

 

Community Guru
John B Member Since: Aug 20, 2015
15 of 18

I admire your profile.  The nearly 1/2-million in earnings sets the highest mark I have yet to see on the platform.  Your reviews and ratings, across more than 1/2-a-decade indicate a winning rate that is astounding.

I think it is good to have the proverbial Jack-n-Coke in times of distress like this.  Experienced Upworkers are fortunate.   We have past clients that seek us out.  We have industry connections.   We have new entrees created from past successes.

My heart goes out to the Upworker tonight, new to the platform.  Who feels like they are figthing for their business lives.   They toss and turn, wondering what their debut JSS will be -- given these black hole private ratings most to all know exist.

I think it is important to blow off steam, but I encourage everyone who feels they have hit their limit.  Perhaps consider less, starting at $0 and 20%.  Unless it is $0 in earning and the 20% they wonder if they will ever get to pay on their first Upwork project.

That's the $0 and %20 I tip a glass to, tonight.

Community Leader
Julie J Member Since: Jan 28, 2019
16 of 18

Hopefully new people starting here are resourceful enough to seek out the many help pages and most importantly, this community.

Most everything you need to know from writing proposals to managing jobs and clients can be found here in past threads.

If they are not looking everywhere on this site for tips and tricks already posted, learning from the smart and dumb things people have done, and looking to improve their chances daily then they might as well not even try.


You have to be able to hustle, if you don't have that then you will never make it. You are running your own business, costs are involved. Whining about the price of connects and fees makes you $0.00.

 

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
17 of 18

Julie J wrote:

Hopefully new people starting here are resourceful enough to seek out the many help pages and most importantly, this community.

Most everything you need to know from writing proposals to managing jobs and clients can be found here in past threads.

If they are not looking everywhere on this site for tips and tricks already posted, learning from the smart and dumb things people have done, and looking to improve their chances daily then they might as well not even try.


You have to be able to hustle, if you don't have that then you will never make it. You are running your own business, costs are involved. Whining about the price of connects and fees makes you $0.00.

 


I just read Petra's posts. lol Really, the only Upwork documentation I've ever read was when I first transferred to Upwork. I googled "how do I get paid" and read escrow and hourly stuff. That's it. Everything else has been from this forum and trial and error on my own. My profile has been flagged twice, but I've gotten paid for everything I've done including disputes where I asked for a certain amount and avoided arbitration.

 

I got burned more on Elance than here. I also have no hesitation when it comes to kicking offers back for full escrow or saying something has to go hourly because I can see the trainwreck of escrow happening in the future.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
18 of 18

I have no problem with people who learn by doing instead of by reading the manual. As long as they're willing to take their lumps when they make a mistake.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS