🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Freelance gadgets you can't live without
Page options
2a05aa63
Community Member

Freelance gadgets you can't live without

I recently got a standing desk that changes it's height, and it's making wonders for my back pain, and it got me thinking, what things do freelancers use daily to make their life easier?

I'm the introverted type that mostly sits at home and obsessed with tech, so I got a bunch of it.

First off, a coffee machine that grinds coffee. I got a geyser coffee maker before and it does it's work but there was always coffee all over the kitchen. Now, with a click of a button I can get a cup in just few seconds, and I love it.

I got a gaming chair a while ago but more and more I read about them not being the best choice. A good office chair would be a lot more comfortable.

Noise cancelling headphones are amazing to counter noice. I've been using them for 5 years and cannot go back to regular ones.

I'm a VR enthusiast, and got the Quest Pro mainly for games and media consumption but it's a great tool when you need multiple displays. 

is a good way to setup reminders to move around and be sure not to skip calendar events.

If you are mainly using a laptop, then you have look down a lot, which creates a lot of tension on the neck. Investing in a stand that will raise it to the eye level will do a lot of good for the shoulders and... You will also need another keyboard so you don't hold you arm in the air. If you get a quality one, your fingers and arm will thank you. Get a arm rest as well, it's worth the investment.

The standing desk I got can store 4 different positions. It's so nice to be able to stand up and continue working when sat for too long. It also can be used with a threadmil, so you can walk and use the computer at the same time.

Talking about threadmills, I have a compact on that can easily be moved around. It doesn't go over 6km\h but it's enough if you just want to talk or light jog.

A portable massager can replace a masseur for the most part, especially considering how much more expensive a full body massage could get.

I also recently got a eye massager. It really help to counter eye fatigue. I also use eye drops as well when I feel that my eyes dry out.

What things do you use?

24 REPLIES 24
christopherbudde
Community Member

I improved by production computer by switching to a M.2 solid-state drive. It plugs directly into the board. No interface cable. It's 500mb. Nice upgrade.

SSDs are a musthave! Everything loads so much faster

ArjayM

Hi Valued Members,

Thank you for sharing this amazing topic here in the Community. I got a gaming chair that has a built-in massager and I actually added a portable one. I used to experience lower back and neck pain halfway through my shift so these two massagers made it so convenient throughout the day. For me, aside from having a reliable internet connection and excellent sets of devices, these are all I need.

Looking forward to hearing other members get to share in this thread. Stay safe everyone!

~ Arjay
Upwork
2a05aa63
Community Member

First time hearing about gaming chairs with massagers! I agree that they add a lot of convenience against back pain 🙂

f89178d8
Community Member

Never heard of an eye massager, sounds scary 😂

I was cautios too, but it only does the massaging around the eyes. Also it heats up the eyes which feels nice.

Sounds like it is part lymphatic, part musculature.

spxpert
Community Member

I believe in keeping thigs simple,  less thing and clear workstation makes life more peaceful.  Here are some non-fancy things I keep in my office room 

- Speakers (love the music)

- Diary / Planner / Pen

- Sticky Notes

- Another diary for rough notes during my meetings

- Small Lamp (USB one) -  help me keeping focus in the evenings / nights ... sometimes very early in the morning

bf97c28c
Community Member

Hi Viacheslav, good topic. I also use old divices such as textbook and pen, I write some notes befor put them to computer, and draw somthing while study. And I have handmade from old CDs, I put a hot cup of drink on it.

I want to see some pictures of that CD cup holder 🙂

Your wellcome 🤗

IMG_20230508_143758.jpg

3792bdf9
Community Member

A palm rest, external monitor (not really a "gadget" per say), and keyboard rest.

The palm rest and it's doing wonders to my hands.

Community Member

A large fan, multi-position laptop cooling pad. The large fan is essential for almost silent operation - small fans require much faster RPM to produce the same air flow. Mine was cheap and isn't as powerful as I would like (intense operations will cause my laptop's fans to kick on to max, which are super loud), but it has the added benefit of raising my screen at least 5cm (less neck strain) and elevating my arms to a more natural angle.

mwiggenhorn
Community Member

As I work curled up on my sofa due to serious back problems, I have a wonderful lap desk and cooling pad.  Cannot live without them!

attorneysergei
Community Member

1. Ergonomic keyboard and mouse

2. External monitors

3. Blue light blocking glasses: These glasses can help reduce eye strain and improve sleep by blocking harmful blue light emitted by computer screens.

4. Task lighting: A good task light can help reduce eye strain and improve visibility while working.

5. Voice-to-text software: Using voice-to-text software can help save time and reduce typing strain on the hands and wrists.

6. Air purifier: An air purifier can help improve air quality in your workspace and reduce allergens and other pollutants.

7. hard cases and privacy screens for cell phones

Blue light blocking glasses: These glasses can help reduce eye strain and improve sleep by blocking harmful blue light emitted by computer screens.

YESSS! I have two pairs of Gunnar lenses, each pair a different strength level. Easily one of the best $120 that I ever spent (kit had 3 temple sets, 2 lens pairs, 3 nosepieces, and the frame).

sullivanliz
Community Member

That is some serious gadgetry!

All sounds great, although I have to admit I've never fancied a standing desk. I'm a restless person so I'm up every 45 mins or so, bringing me to my first essential gadget -- my beloved kettle. Tea (many kinds) is life. The moka pot is important too, though I usually limit coffee to the beginning of my day.

I'm happy with my basic desk, basic chair, and basic anglepoise lamp as I don't spend too long sitting in one go. My office also doubles as a gym so there's always a reminder to move! I think of my yoga mat, kettlebell and balance board as essential freelancer gadgets.

My laptop stand with fans is brilliant, I bought it for gaming in the brutal summer last year but it's even more useful for work. I should really take your advice and get a standalone keyboard and mouse too!

In summer, a massive fan is the only way I can work in the daytime so that's on the list.

Finally, they're not gadgets but my plants are lovely to have around and help me limit the time I spend staring out of the window!

5c9f4c06
Community Member

Hi Viacheslav

Where did you get your standing desk? And the portable treadmill?

Regards

Isabel

The treadmill is called WALKINGPAD. You can fold it and move it around.

The standing desk is being sold in Ukraine, but as far as I understand it's a Chinese brand that is being rebranded locally.

LuiggiR

Hi Viacheslav,

Very interesting topic, really made me think about the things I have in my home office. I'm also obsessed with tech and love to try new gadgets any time I can! I'll try to keep it short.

Must haves for me are a good office chair, a spacious-enough desk (used to have a really small one and regretted every second of that purchase), and bias lighting behind my monitors or around the room. I'm also really looking to try a standing desk so I might upgrade mine in the future.

Things that are really more of a luxury but couldn't see myself using something else, are a custom mechanical keyboard and open-back headphones. Mechanical keyboards are just so satisfying to type on versus the typical laptop keyboard, and open-back headphones are a whole new way to experience music if you haven't tried them.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
2a05aa63
Community Member

I never tried mechanical keyboards before. I know they are praised a lot. Might get one in the future 🙂
As for the headphones, noice canceling is something I cannot give up. I love as little noice as possible.

m_terrazas
Community Member

LOL! I'm reading you and I look at my work station and I'm dying of laughter.

We moved house a few months ago and the table I had was from the other house. Now I have a slightly "stale" board with two easels, one longer than the other. A normal chair, although very comfortable, with a cushion. Back straight, very straight :))
For the rest, my laptop with a separate screen and keyboard. Some headphones, I only use one of them, the kind that is used with mobile phones, I have some headband in case I have to do lipsync. I don't like not hearing the outside.
So, I and technology.... 🤔

joseporras291
Community Member

Since I'm a sysadmin.

My laptop and my phone. Need to always be ready. 

Latest Articles
Learning Paths