Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freelancing = Loneliness?

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
BEST ANSWER
11 of 61

Different people, different opinions. It all depends on your personality.

I'm a lone wolf so working alone is fine to me. I'm half-time freelancer and half-time employee. My salaried employment is a position where I don't interact with many people, being relatively independent and isolated. I actually like it this because I'm very selective about the people I'm friend with, and in an office environment you can't really choose your colleagues. So being on my own is one of the things that prevents me from flying out of the office job. 

Freelancing, I do this from home where I have a dedicated room for my office. At the beginning, I thought about renting a small desk in a shared office or in a coworking place, but not having tho commute is soooo cool that I just forgot the whole idea. 

And about loneliness, frankly, I don't feel it at all. Most of the time I will go out on evenings with friends. Having a rich social life compensates for working alone.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Evelina H Member Since: Jan 29, 2015
12 of 61

Rene, I'm exactly the same. I don't like it when I get distracted randomly in the office. When I focus on something I do, all background noise, laughter, talking, etc. is totally draining. How is it possible that anyone can concentrate in such an environment?

I'm planning on scheduling email checks, and blocking all sorts of notifications on my laptop and iPhone, so have nothing to distract me. I read an article about multitasking, and having distractions is basically a productivity killer.

Oh, interesting statistic - people in the office spend 28% ot their weekly time checking emails. What about meetings, or people passing by to ask you how you're doing, and stuff like that? Or random jokes now and then? (Although I love all sorts of jokes, they ARE distracting and I'm in the office to work!)

So, it turns out half of the time you can actually work (~4 hrs) and the rest of the time is just 'pretending to work'? Sure, they pay you for that time too, but is it really a meaningfully spent time?

Anyway, I'm far from lonely freelancing. I have friends I can meet when I want, and when it's suitable for us all. I get to talk to people when I'm NOT working. I socialize in my free time, not during my work hours.

I think socializing should be separated from actual work. This is why currently, in the corporate world, productivity is so low, and concentration gets worse quickly throughout the day. Yeah, concentrate while everyone is talking! :-/

For the curious, about multitasking - wonderful article!

Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
13 of 61

I stopped feeling lonely after I saw this on Facebook:

lonely.jpg

Community Guru
Anthony H Member Since: Feb 22, 2017
14 of 61

That's funny, Isabelle. Unfortunately, if I watch a horror film, I have to turn on every light in the house from the attic to the root cellar. It gets expensive.

Anyway, my brother used to say, "not poor, just broke." That's how I feel about freelancing and loneliness. "Not lonely, just alone."

Community Leader
Octavian Valentin A Member Since: Mar 26, 2015
15 of 61

Thanks for all your replies - some people think it's a weird way of working/living, or maybe they are a little frustrated Smiley Very Happy

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
16 of 61

Valentine's day! Time for forever alone meme!

forever-alone-on-cooking-photo-u1.jpg

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
17 of 61

I worked in a call center before I did freelancing. It made me crazy listening to others and the constant interuptions..

I love not being disturbed and if I want to chit chat I have Skype,  a phone and other places to interact with others.

I have been divorced for a number of years and people always ask me if I am lonely living and working by myself... Heck no! Besides I have a small farm with may critters. I am never truly alone and the animals don't talk back (well once in awhile, but not often Smiley Happy

I think it depends on the type of person you are if you feel lonely.

But freelancing does not equal lonely.

Freelancing for me = happy and Free to decide what I want to do

If I want to be with people I can go out and be with them. I don't need them to be happy in my work or life

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
18 of 61

I did get a happy v-day text message from one of my favorites, so not terrible today. It takes so little to make me happy. Too bad he's not local. Smiley Sad

The only problem with being alone after 30+ and female is that anything more than 2 cats makes you crazy cat lady.

Community Leader
Octavian Valentin A Member Since: Mar 26, 2015
19 of 61

go to a club ... who knows Smiley Wink

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
20 of 61

@Jennifer M wrote:

I did get a happy v-day text message from one of my favorites, so not terrible today. It takes so little to make me happy. Too bad he's not local. Smiley Sad

The only problem with being alone after 30+ and female is that anything more than 2 cats makes you crazy cat lady.

I resemble that remark...

the_crazy_cat_lady_starter_kit_by_kennerz27-d5wjl3i.jpg

funny-cat-pics-what-crazy-cat-lady-sees.jpg

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS