🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Re: Friendships
Page options
mercyngona
Community Member

Friendships

Can a friendship truly thrive when the other person prefers to relate only on their terms?

4 REPLIES 4
df602768
Community Member

No. For a friendship to truly thrive, understanding, compassion, and empathy are key.

a77045c6
Community Member

No. Friendship truly thrives when we are not selfish and sincere. 

1ef6c1fc
Community Member

Hi Mercy. My answer to your queation is, no. This applies to every other kind of relationships as well. However, I'd also consider putting myself in the shoes of such a friend and try to understand where they come from. I personally would not befriend someone who does not have any mutual respect for my needs as their friend.

8467c28e
Community Member

It can be difficult for a friendship to truly thrive if one person insists on relating only on their terms. Friendships are built on mutual trust, respect, and a willingness to compromise and make an effort to connect with one another.

If one person is only interested in interacting on their own terms, this can create an imbalance in the friendship, where one person is always giving while the other is always taking. Over time, this can cause resentment and frustration, and may ultimately lead to the breakdown of the friendship.

However, it's important to remember that every friendship is unique, and what works for one person may not work for another. Some people are more independent and prefer to interact on their own terms, while others are more social and prefer to interact in a more collaborative manner.

If you find that your friend is only interested in relating on their own terms, it's important to have an open and honest conversation with them about how you feel. Let them know that you value the friendship and want to find a way to make it work for both of you. If they are willing to listen and make an effort to compromise, then there is hope for the friendship to thrive. However, if they are not willing to make any changes, then it may be time to reevaluate the friendship and consider whether it's worth continuing.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths