cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Future of Upwork

jozsab1
Jozsa Bodnar I Member Since: Sep 3, 2020
1 of 11

Looking for people to change my mind ( just feeling down )

Was on some other freelance website discussing what are the option out there for us developers, when someone said "of, upwork is a race to the bottom". I was suprized, I had a good opinion about upwork. So I tried to argue why ? "because people just downbid projects until all the good guys leave".

Have to admit, these days if i open the "find work" list, 90% of them are from **Edited for Community Guidelines**.... most people just flipping jobs. They quickly goble up new client and repost with lower rate. And than you see hourly rate 2-3$. I kid you not, there are projects posted for 5$.

Is this good for the client ? Probably not, he might get poor quality for "fair" price paid by him.

Is this a good deal for the end developer ? Probably not as smart guys leave and only the beginners (who are desperate for a good review) will take on 5$ projects.

Is this good for upwork ? Well, some people already argued it's a race to the bottom.

Is this is a good deal for project flippers ? Definetly.

I know it's not an easy to handle situation, but a more proper moderation would go a long way.

What I would do if I could ? **Edited for Community Guidelines** Not trying to be racist of anything, but the past 3 projects from america, were actually reposts from **Edited for Community Guidelines**. I think both clients and developers deserve to know the truth who you are dealing with. **Edited for Community Guidelines** A lot of companies go to **Edited for Community Guidelines** for cheap labor, and there is nothing wrong with that, but when I spend 1 whole week for a 50$ milestone, it makes me flip a table.

renegate2502
Ttenochtchi A Member Since: Dec 25, 2019
2 of 11

Hello Jozsa

I read your post in detail and it's very interesting one. Long story to short, I can tell you honestly, try to ignore small jobs or small budget if it's not fit for you. It's all depend on your decsion. We all know our value and project difficulty. As a professional developer, I suggest my quote to clients and if he want to hire right candidate and good quality, they will not hire or looking for low price developers. It's marketplace.

Best,

Ttenochtchi

jozsab1
3 of 11

How would the client recognize a flipper ? They bought an american account ( just google how many people sell fake upwork accounts ) they spam the client asking all possible rates ( from 10 to 50$/h) to make sure they gobble up the client, and than they repost it for lowst possible rate.

Sure I refuse work. There are months until I manage to find work. But as I said, it's a race to the bottom

andregutierrez22
Andrea G Moderator Member Since: Jul 7, 2020
4 of 11

Hi Jozsa,

It is against Upwork TOS to share or "rent" an account, if you find any activity like this in the marketplace we encourage you to report itFor more information about our efforts, please see this Community announcement.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Untitled
colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
5 of 11

I have edited out my post as for some extraordinary reason it was edited by a moderator and no longer made sense. 

@ the mod who deleted it - why didn't you just completely remove it?  

moonraker
Community Guru
Jamie F Member Since: Mar 7, 2010
6 of 11

Jozsa Bodnar I wrote:

but when I spend 1 whole week for a 50$ milestone, it makes me flip a table.

I would not be happy with that money either --- so I say no. There's plenty of clients out there looking to pay for the best quality they can afford.

If you think it's a race to the bottom then you're doing something wrong. 

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
7 of 11

There are **Edited for Community Guidelines** everywhere - quack doctors, sleazy lawyers, crooked judge, dishonest politicians, slumlords. The list goes on and on.  The trick is to go right past them.  They have nothing to do with you.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
8 of 11

I have seen references to a "race to the bottom" for many years now.

That simply has not been my experience.

Many people in the Forum have mentioned that Upwork has a stratified market. This seems to be a good way to look at it.

Like the TV series "Worth It" (available on YouTube and Hulu): Each episode the show visits a low-cost, mid-range, and expensive restaurant to sample a particular food item. $3 sushi vs. $40 sushi vs. $250 sushi. Clients can find different levels of service available on Upwork. I know that many clients come to Upwork excited about the prospect of saving a lot of money by hiring from the low-cost segment... That really is all that many of them require. But other times... clients realize that they will save time and money in the long run by hiring from the mid-range and high-end segments.

There is sentiment I sometimes read in the Forum:

"I do this type of work. But clients aren't paying well for this type of work because they can hire freelancers in another country to do that work for much less than I charge."

If you are offering the same product as other people, but other people are offering that product for much less... Then clients SHOULD save money by getting what they need from the freelancers who charge less. Freelancers who don't want to be part of the "the race to the bottom" offer services that can not so easily be obtained from the lowest-cost freelancers. Or they offer services at a level of quality and expertise that clients are willing to pay more for.

moonraker
Community Guru
Jamie F Member Since: Mar 7, 2010
9 of 11

Preston H wrote:

Many people in the Forum have mentioned that Upwork has a stratified market. This seems to be a good way to look at it.

Yep.

I feel those at the lower end of the writing pool are not competing with me while I am not competing with those at the upper end. I'm competing in a rather different market to those categories. 

Once when I was struggling to find work it was suggested I should put my prices up. It worked almost straight away. I think doing so moved me into a different, less competitive market. 

It's something people like the OP need to take into account. If they're not happy with the market they are currently operating in they should try a different one. And they'll find it right here on this platform. 

jozsab1
10 of 11

"Once when I was struggling to find work it was suggested I should put my prices up. It worked almost straight away. I think doing so moved me into a different, less competitive market."

Tried to search for your upwork profile to check your work history. Could not find it.

Have to admit what you guys say in theory makes sense. In practice, if I'm a client and I have to compare upwork to other platforms (not going to use names ). On other platforms you get instant 50 bids and I have no idea who to choose from there are so many liars and cheaters. Upwork had the advantage of filtering out fake accounts until now, but recently it's like almost there is no difference from the low end freelance services. It's just "fight for survival", not something organized or quality focused. Is there something wrong with it ? Only if you wish to represent something different than others.

Let me rephrase it, if you are a client(job giver), is it ok for you to struggle on a website to filter out liars and cheaters.

I guess it's the nature of the world, as hotmail, yahoo... died out, all things come to an end when they refuse to evolve in a positive way

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS