Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Galette time is back

Community Guru
Luce N Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
11 of 20

@Phyllis G wrote:

Goodness, gracious! If this is going to go on until Mardi Gras, I'm gonna have to find a drool shield for my keyboard. (I've instituted my annual post-holiday embargo on sweets in the house--no choice, since I have the impulse control of a 2-year old--so this thread is especially torturous!)

Phyllys, yesterday, for the first time in my life, I had Galette des Rois twice in the same day. I survived the delicious side of the torture, but you can imagine how I felt in the evening... 

Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
12 of 20

My son brought a King Cake home yesterday.  "Mississippi Mud" - chocolate ganache and pecans.  I hope the calories fell out when I cut it.

Community Guru
Renata S Member Since: Jun 10, 2014
13 of 20

DIY version, for smaller scale, lower budget Epiphanies (it seems like it could be just as fattening, except for the engery exerted):

https://www.davidlebovitz.com/galette-des-rois-kings-cake-recipe/

Community Guru
14 of 20

Looks delicious! Have you tried making one? I have yeas ago, but with so many wonderful bakeries around it's easier to just buy them.

Community Guru
15 of 20

Luce N wrote:

Looks delicious! Have you tried making one? I have yeas ago, but with so many wonderful bakeries around it's easier to just buy them.

I haven't tried it yet, but judging by the instructions, it doesn't seem that difficult (especially if I could track down some readymade, all-butter puff pastry, which might be a bigger job than simply finding an unclaimed galette). But DL is a trained pastry chef and they make everything look like a piece of cake. Smiley Happy 

I have more experience with the recipes from his book on ice cream. Eating homemade strawberry ice cream is the June version of a culinary epiphany.  

Community Guru
16 of 20

Homemade strawberry ice cream sounds like a nice June epiphany.

Readymade, all-butter puff pastry? I must be dumb, or extremely French, or maybe both:  this had never even crossed my mind. What an heresy!  Smiley Happy

Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
17 of 20

It may be heretical but we can buy pretty good frozen puff pastry at the grocery store in the US.

Community Guru
18 of 20

Mary W wrote:

It may be heretical but we can buy pretty good frozen puff pastry at the grocery store in the US.

Mary please! How can you say such a thing! I'm sure frozen puff pastry tastes as terrible as it sounds. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
19 of 20

Luce N wrote:

Readymade, all-butter puff pastry? I must be dumb, or extremely French, or maybe both:  this had never even crossed my mind. What an heresy!  Smiley Happy

Heretical? Possibly. But I am finally coming around to the idea of making my life easier. If no one notices the difference, I can't see the harm. I also have a strangely arranged kitchen due to some not-so-well-conceived renovation approaches that were applied to my apartment. 

There's a lovely quotation attributed to Julia Child (who knows if she said it):

"Always remember, if you're alone in the kitchen and you drop the lamb, you can always pick it up. Who's going to know?"

I hear you can even buy frozen puff pastry from bakeries in some parts of the world. 
Community Guru
20 of 20

Renata S wrote:

Luce N wrote:

Heretical? Possibly. But I am finally coming around to the idea of making my life easier. If no one notices the difference, I can't see the harm. I also have a strangely arranged kitchen due to some not-so-well-conceived renovation approaches that were applied to my apartment. 

There's a lovely quotation attributed to Julia Child (who knows if she said it):

"Always remember, if you're alone in the kitchen and you drop the lamb, you can always pick it up. Who's going to know?"

I hear you can even buy frozen puff pastry from bakeries in some parts of the world. 

It must be Julia Child, sounds just like her!

Well, I make life easier for me too: either I buy galette, or someone offers me some, or I do without. However, tonight I'm having galette again with an association I'm a member of - and I must'nt forget to cross the street to get the 3 big galettes I've been charged to buy - since I live opposite a really good bakery. And that should be it, no more galette this year.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS