Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gardening time

Highlighted
Community Guru
Luce N Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
21 of 59

@Martina P wrote:

you put in into the right spot, too, because basil and tomatoes are "good neighbors" and promote each others growth. 

That's what I've been told. Hope it's true, but I don't really know since I have never had basil in my garden before.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
22 of 59

Looking fabulous! Well done!

Highlighted
Community Guru
23 of 59

And the taste! I wish you would come try some of my homegrown/homemade tomato sauce. Absolutely divine!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
24 of 59

You can give us the recipe! Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
25 of 59

Luce! If you can send us the recipe, that would be awesome!

@Luce N wrote:

And the taste! I wish you would come try some of my homegrown/homemade tomato sauce. Absolutely divine!

-Avery
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
26 of 59

@Avery O wrote:

Luce! If you can send us the recipe, that would be awesome!

@Luce N wrote:

And the taste! I wish you would come try some of my homegrown/homemade tomato sauce. Absolutely divine. 

Maria and Avery, I'm afraid the secret to the recipe is simply my miraculously delicious tomatoes:

. first, you need to chop some of my wonderful homegrown onions, and let them fry in olive oil. 

. meanwhile cut some tomatoes (homegrown too), add them to the onions. 

. add salt and pepper

. let it all simmer

. prepare some pasta in a separate pan. Once the pasta is cooked, add it to the tomatoes. 

. you can add grated cheese, but you don't need to.

I guess I should add basil, but I haven't tried yet.

As you can see, the secret is in the exceptional ingredients. Bon appétit!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
27 of 59

Hi Luce,

I plant basil in the orchard, everywhere. Along with tomatoes, peppers, chilli peppers, strawberries and more.
I do it because it helps me keep several types of insects away and especially the aphid.
Also, the smell ... hmmm!
It also helps to plant "marigolds" and "tagetes" (carnation de moro or Damasquina)
In addition to giving a lot of color, they also help with the same as basil, and make more pollinators come.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
28 of 59

I have basil, mint and rosemary in pots this summer and in spite of our devastating heat, they are all doing well.  Of course, I have to water them every single day unless it rains and sometimes even then.  Lots of homemade pizza and rosemary chicken.  Also one or two mint juleps!

Highlighted
Community Guru
29 of 59

@Mary W wrote:

I have basil, mint and rosemary in pots this summer and in spite of our devastating heat, they are all doing well.  Of course, I have to water them every single day unless it rains and sometimes even then.  Lots of homemade pizza and rosemary chicken.  Also one or two mint juleps!

So you too had a very hot summer? And in what part of the world are you?

I love the name "mint juleps", but never had any. How do you make them, please?

You might be the right person to ask: do you use basil in your homemade pizzas, and if so, how do you do so? I still don't know much about how to use basil. I use it it salads, but don't really know how to use it in cooked dishes. I'd love to have some advice, if you don't mind.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
30 of 59

Luce - we chop the basil very fine and sprinkle it on the pizza before it goes into the oven.  I'm growing Thai/ purple basil which is quite sweet and delicious this way.

I'm on the Mississippi Gulf Coast = summer lasts from May until October, with high heat and humidity.  Awfully hard to keep container plants going.

Mint juleps - make a simple syrup of equal parts sugar and water.  Boil under the sugar is completely dissolved and cool.  Muddle some mint leaves in the bottom of a tall glass (I like aluminum for this for some reason) and wipe some around the lip of the glass.  Fill with bourbon, simple syrup and ice and garnish with a mint sprig.  Stir gently and enjoy!

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS