Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gardening time

Highlighted
Community Guru
Luce N Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
41 of 59

@Renata S wrote:

Oh Luce. Your basil looks lovely (and I'm dying for one of those tomatoes to go with it). I'm going to have to get mine from the market this year because I didn't get a chance to do the plants. Although my rosemary is doing very well after being overwintered (don't ask for instructions. I think ignoring it and forgetting to water it had a lot to do with its success). So I'm eyeing it up for future meals, along with the parsley the local squirrels don't seem to enjoy.

I think I recommend mohitos for mint consumption, if you're going to mix cocktails: 

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/mojito-242527

Naturally, Thai basil is also very good chopped and quicly sautéed into Thai recipes. One that I get as takeout is chicken and eggplant (aubergine). I haven't tried this recipe, but it seems like it's along the right lines (although serano peppers are a fusion element): https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1012781-stir-fried-chicken-and-eggplant-with-asian-basil

Rosemary is amazing with chicken, and I like to put a lot of it into this soup recipe (not sure that Baris approves of this one because it's a bit of a North American mash-up of a Turkish dish):
https://garlicshoots.com/2010/12/13/turkish-lentil-and-spinach-soup/

Oh Renata, now is the perfect time to come visit me, I've got tons of tomatoes, even more than I had planned as some garden friend decided to give me some of his at the last minute. They are delicious, and so is the basil. You'll be amazed to learn that I managed to water them regularly enough, although my vegetable garden is about 5 minutes away from home. You were right to suggest growing basil. My basil is supposed to be Marseilles basil, with rather small leaves. 

Thanks for the links, it's always fun to try new recipes.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
42 of 59

Luce, I'm less than a mile back from the beach.  However, Mississippi isn''t directly on the Gulf of Mexico but rather on the Mississippi Sound as there are barrier islands a few miles offshore.  No surf to speak of.  The "feels like" temps have been over 100 degrees F all summer.  We have at least another month but so far, so good concerning hurricanes this year.  Peak season is September so we'll see.  My area was destroyed by Katrina - 30 foot storm surge that went as far as 10 miles inland - so we get pretty jumpy this time of year.

Highlighted
Community Guru
43 of 59

@Mary W wrote:

Luce, I'm less than a mile back from the beach.  However, Mississippi isn''t directly on the Gulf of Mexico but rather on the Mississippi Sound as there are barrier islands a few miles offshore.  No surf to speak of.  The "feels like" temps have been over 100 degrees F all summer.  We have at least another month but so far, so good concerning hurricanes this year.  Peak season is September so we'll see.  My area was destroyed by Katrina - 30 foot storm surge that went as far as 10 miles inland - so we get pretty jumpy this time of year.

Good luck with the hurricanes, Mary! 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Renata S Member Since: Jun 10, 2014
44 of 59

Hi Luce, I'm going to drop in another recipe. Gardeners' time in North America usually means being approached by someone you know who planted zucchini (courgets) and now has about a million of them. I had a copy of the book this is from for years before I found this recipe in it. Now that I look at it, I realize that I've been ignoring the part that says to separate the eggs for as long as I've been making it (maybe because I have a small kitchen and I tend to ignore any instruction that creates more dishes than I think are necessary).  This basically gives you something like a potato latke, but with zucchini.  I usually replace the mint with some dill. I don't know how I survived knowing people who grow zucchini before I found this.

http://www.veggieobsession.com/2010/03/zucchini-feta-pancakes.html

Highlighted
Community Guru
45 of 59

Hi Renata,

I know what gardener's time feels like as I do have zucchini growing in my garden. Sometimes they go wild and I give zucchini's to anyone that says they like zucchini. Took some to the hairdresser, to dance class... my neighbours who like zucchini...

Thank you very much for the recipes, and for the explanation of "gardener's time".

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
46 of 59

my fish like zucchini .... I buy the expensive organic ones for fishfood and zucchini spaghetti when I am doing low-carb  (currently I've fallen off the low carb wagon)

bolognese.jpg

Highlighted
Community Guru
47 of 59

How convenient that fish like zucchini. Had no idea. It's a shame you live relatively far from me, otherwise I would have a gift for your fish.

But is the delicious looking dish on the photo for your fish? 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Cheryl K Member Since: Jul 16, 2015
48 of 59

I am drowning in tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers right now. I've spent the last 2 weeks canning at least part of every day. I had a good talking to my squash and okra and they've backed off a bit - thank goodness.

Aubergine sauce, spaghetti sauce, various levels of heat in salsa, pickled peppers, pickled veggies, bread and butter pickles, kosher dills, lo-sodium dill pickles, tomato jam, pepper jelly, and ranchero sauce oh yeah don't forget the sweet pickle relish, the dill pickle relish, and the hot pickle relish.

Thank goodness it's raining right now or I would be outside picking yet more stuff that needs to be processed.

We enjoy everything I make all the rest of the year, but the end of summer is a pain in the tush.

Highlighted
Community Guru
49 of 59

@Cheryl K wrote:

I am drowning in tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers right now. I've spent the last 2 weeks canning at least part of every day. I had a good talking to my squash and okra and they've backed off a bit - thank goodness.

Aubergine sauce, spaghetti sauce, various levels of heat in salsa, pickled peppers, pickled veggies, bread and butter pickles, kosher dills, lo-sodium dill pickles, tomato jam, pepper jelly, and ranchero sauce oh yeah don't forget the sweet pickle relish, the dill pickle relish, and the hot pickle relish.

Thank goodness it's raining right now or I would be outside picking yet more stuff that needs to be processed.

We enjoy everything I make all the rest of the year, but the end of summer is a pain in the tush.

The worst is when you suddenly get tons of clients and you have to chose between making money and not letting the garden go crazy!

I've had to tell some of the clients about the garden - that way they sort of understand that there are PRIORITIES in life.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Renata S Member Since: Jun 10, 2014
50 of 59

@Petra R wrote:

my fish like zucchini .... I buy the expensive organic ones for fishfood and zucchini spaghetti when I am doing low-carb  (currently I've fallen off the low carb wagon)

bolognese.jpg

Is this what the fish are getting? That's like a five-star tank you're running. Smiley Happy

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS