Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gardening time

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
51 of 59

Nice thread!

This is first year I did some gardening of my own and planted some grape tomatoes and a bunch of different herbs. I underestimated the tomatoes and now that corner of the yard looks like a jungle. I don't mind that too much cause we've been eating some version of caprese almost every day lately.

Here is a pic of today's harvest of tomatoes plus Basil (not basil)

479C52E6-7640-43BE-8221-D60EEB01FC08.jpg

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
52 of 59

@Valeria K wrote:

Nice thread!

This is first year I did some gardening of my own and planted some grape tomatoes and a bunch of different herbs. I underestimated the tomatoes and now that corner of the yard looks like a jungle. I don't mind that too much cause we've been eating some version of caprese almost every day lately.

479C52E6-7640-43BE-8221-D60EEB01FC08.jpg

Those are absolutely jealous-makingly beautiful. Basil looks as if he is wondering whether they are edible or not. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Luce N Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
53 of 59

That's a cool picture of Basil and the tomatoes! 

Well done! In order for the tomatoes not to look like a jungle, and to lower their chances of them getting mildew, I advise you to tie the branches to a stake. I'll take pictures of mine for you.

Now that the summer is nearly over, mildew is the ennemy. If you note leaves that don't look to good, hurry up, cut them away - and trow them far from your tomatoes.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Renata S Member Since: Jun 10, 2014
54 of 59

@Nichola L wrote:

Those are absolutely jealous-makingly beautiful. Basil looks as if he is wondering whether they are edible or not. 

They're also really pretty (in addition to having a cute dog posing with them).  What varieties are they?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
55 of 59

@Renata S wrote:

@Nichola L wrote:

They're also really pretty (in addition to having a cute dog posing with them).  What varieties are they?

In France (or in Brittany) If you buy them in the supermarkets, they call them tomates d'antan (literally: tomatoes of yesteryear), and they are wickedly expensive. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
56 of 59

@Valeria K wrote:

Valeria, this is how I keep my tomatoes out of trouble. I used to have jungles too, but I find it better to keep them tidy, with branches tied to a pole. I also stop branches from growing near the ground by cutting them. This because when it rains, if the leaves touch the ground, I think they start bringing mildew to the tomatoe plants, and then every thing is ruined. I took this photo this evening for you:

IMG_20180906_201700.jpg

Highlighted
57 of 59

Thanks, Luce! That's definitely a much better way to stake tomatoes than the emergency contraption I ended up building around my plants when I realized how big they would grow. I'll be more prepared next year. 

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
58 of 59

That's what's fun about gardening, year after year you learn from your mistakes. 

Highlighted
59 of 59

The other day I was watering all the tomato plants in my garden and thought about this two-year-old thread. It deserves to be bumped up.

Luce, I think you'll be proud of me, my tomatoes are much better supported this year and I'm determined to keep them tidy. 

How are everybody's gardens doing this year? Taking care of my indoor and outdoor plants has really helped me stay somewhat sane and balanced during these past few crazy months.

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS