cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ghostwriting

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
11 of 21

I'm adding toTiffany's comment - or putting a rider on it. Most serious, reasonable paying ghostwriting clients are IN another profession. 

Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
12 of 21

Very well put, Wendy. I write for such people. I interact with them before and following every article. THEY check to see whether the facts are 100% accurate...I supply the writing. If I have made a mistake anywhere, THEY come back to me and I correct it accordingly. They both know and understand that, while theirs is not my field of expertise, I CAN convey what they want, and need, conveyed, and have the skills to do so. I, on the other hand, both know and understand I am NOT an expert in their field and can but only do my best with the tools they give me. At the end of the day, such a relationship is one of two professionals, each good at what they are doing, working together to produce something well-written and unique...and 100% factually correct. 

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
13 of 21

My two favorite words:

Communications

Collaboration

Without both - it ain't going to work.

Community Guru
14 of 21

@ Wendy> Yup, precisely!

Community Guru
15 of 21

I just HAD to do this! It is the OCD in me! It is a compulsion! It is unstoppable!

ghost writer.jpg

Sally N Member Since: Jul 25, 2019
16 of 21

I wonder if I am seeing the same client years later. I understood “ghost writer” as someone who wrote a book for a non-writer who could sell books, like an athlete or actor. These posts I see are more like someone setting up a sweatshop for writers. There appears to be no benefit— **Edited for Community Guidelines** wages, no credit, and no association with an interesting person. And no need for the book! It’s like all the useless “content” on web sites now, only in long form.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
17 of 21

Sounds like another form of ghostwriting.

re: "There appears to be no benefit— **Edited for Community Guidelines** wages, no credit, and no association with an interesting person. And no need for the book!"

I guess that is the kind of work that some people choose to do.

Not everybody wants to clean septic tanks or study to become a surgeon or wash dishes in a restaurant or start a business of their own.

I actually know a lot of people who do a lot of writing for free, just because they like to write. Maybe some ghostwriters simply want to write no matter what.

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
18 of 21

Sally N wrote:
I wonder if I am seeing the same client years later. I understood “ghost writer” as someone who wrote a book for a non-writer who could sell books, like an athlete or actor. These posts I see are more like someone setting up a sweatshop for writers. There appears to be no benefit—slave wages, no credit, and no association with an interesting person. And no need for the book! It’s like all the useless “content” on web sites now, only in long form.

There's another type of ghostwriting that historically has been referred to as book packaging (a phrase that is often used to mean something else entirely these days). Some of the most well-known examples include the Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys children's mystery series. Each series was attributed to a single author, but in fact the books were written by many different people. 

The high-volume, low-paying fiction ghostwriting clients on Upwork seem to be employing a similar model. The more books attributable to an author, the more books get sold, and I don't mean that if you have three books, you sell three times as many books as you would if you had one. The boost is more significant than that. 

Community Leader
Colleen E Member Since: Jun 29, 2016
19 of 21

I don't do ghostwriting, but I get similar "offers" to content and line edit as well as proofread 120k word manuscripts for say $200. I bid on a job like that today, because it looked interesting, but my bid was much higher than the client was offering. I explained to him my process, my experience, my skills, and why he was getting what he paid for if he hired me at my price. Luckily I have a couple of non-Upwork clients who keep me as busy as I want to be and I don't have to rely on Upwork for my living. 

Ezat M Member Since: Sep 19, 2015
20 of 21

Yes, that is horrible. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS