Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Global Warming? Cycles? or Other? (if other-what?)

Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
31 of 50

This reminds me of a lecture I once gave many moons ago...regarding global warming.

 

The concept is not new, per se, and let me elaborate.

 

Conditions similar to what we experience have occured before. The culprit, at the time, was a volcanic eruption (talking about the most recent occurence, as it has occured more than once) in the eastern part of the world...I forget where, exactly, as I am quite a number of years older and have not been involved in my previous line of work for many years. If memory serves me correctly, though, the Indian Ocean, north of the equator somewhere. 

 

Anyhow...what happened is thus: the ash, etc. spewed during this catastrophic eruption landed in the upper layers of the atmosphere, and acted like a blanket (somewhat like our polution etc. does at present). The global temperatures went up, affecting the climate on a global scale. After a few years, due to less sun penetrating, the reverse started happening...temperatures went down.

 

After a while, of course, as mother earth is want to do, things stabilized.

 

We are at the 'warming' stage. Whether it will continue without being followed by the cooling stage...depends on a number of factors. Not going to go into them, as I am no longer a scientist, am dead tired, and have been up since before 4 am this morning. 

 

So no, global warming is nothing "new". What is 'new' is the reason for its occurence, i.e. man, not nature. Of course, manking has the knack of *&^% things up...perhaps we will continue doing so.

Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
32 of 50

Lovely...I cannot edit my post...it is manKIND, not manKING..sorry...chalk it up to total exhaustion.

Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
33 of 50

@ Irene B.:  I appreciated your input---interesting and hope you're catching some much needed Z's now or very soon, girl!

Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
34 of 50

@Irene B wrote:

This reminds me of a lecture I once gave many moons ago...regarding global warming.

 

The concept is not new, per se, and let me elaborate.

 

Conditions similar to what we experience have occured before. The culprit, at the time, was a volcanic eruption (talking about the most recent occurence, as it has occured more than once) in the eastern part of the world...I forget where, exactly, as I am quite a number of years older and have not been involved in my previous line of work for many years. If memory serves me correctly, though, the Indian Ocean, north of the equator somewhere. 

 

Anyhow...what happened is thus: the ash, etc. spewed during this catastrophic eruption landed in the upper layers of the atmosphere, and acted like a blanket (somewhat like our polution etc. does at present). The global temperatures went up, affecting the climate on a global scale. After a few years, due to less sun penetrating, the reverse started happening...temperatures went down.

 

After a while, of course, as mother earth is want to do, things stabilized.

 

We are at the 'warming' stage. Whether it will continue without being followed by the cooling stage...depends on a number of factors. Not going to go into them, as I am no longer a scientist, am dead tired, and have been up since before 4 am this morning. 

 

So no, global warming is nothing "new". What is 'new' is the reason for its occurence, i.e. man, not nature. Of course, manking has the knack of *&^% things up...perhaps we will continue doing so.


 Irene, I believe you're referring to the 1815 eruption of Mt Tambora in Indonesia, which created the "year without a summer"?

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
35 of 50

OK. Let's admit global warming is real. What's the big deal? Let's just run our air conditioners full power for say a couple of months and problem solved.

 

What?

 

What?! No, seriously, what? I hate those looks.

 

 

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Ravindra B Member Since: Sep 27, 2015
36 of 50

@Rene K wrote:

OK. Let's admit global warming is real. What's the big deal? Let's just run our air conditioners full power for say a couple of months and problem solved.

 

What?

 

What?! No, seriously, what? I hate those looks.

 

 


Yes. Just as the guy who cooled his room by leaving the fridge door open.

"Certa bonum certamen"
Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
37 of 50

I think it's not a matter of belief, but facts, and science has a clear stand.

____________
Don't correct my grammar!
Community Guru
Ravindra B Member Since: Sep 27, 2015
38 of 50

@Vesna M wrote:

I think it's not a matter of belief, but facts, and science has a clear stand.


Vesna,

 

Science can’t answer all questions; that’s where belief comes in.

 

That is a bit hard to swallow for scientists and engineers. Smiley Happy

"Certa bonum certamen"
Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
39 of 50

@Ravindra B wrote:

@Vesna M wrote:

I think it's not a matter of belief, but facts, and science has a clear stand.


Vesna,

 

Science can’t answer all questions; that’s where belief comes in.

 

That is a bit hard to swallow for scientists and engineers. Smiley Happy


 I was answering this particular q for global warming. 

____________
Don't correct my grammar!
Community Guru
Ravindra B Member Since: Sep 27, 2015
40 of 50

@Vesna M wrote:

@Ravindra B wrote:

@Vesna M wrote:

I think it's not a matter of belief, but facts, and science has a clear stand.


Vesna,

 

Science can’t answer all questions; that’s where belief comes in.

 

That is a bit hard to swallow for scientists and engineers. Smiley Happy


 I was answering this particular q for global warming. 


Lighten up. I was just kidding. Smiley Happy

"Certa bonum certamen"
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS