Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Global Warming? Cycles? or Other? (if other-what?)

Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
41 of 50

 


@Ravindra B wrote:

@Vesna M wrote:

I think it's not a matter of belief, but facts, and science has a clear stand.


Vesna,

 

Science can’t answer all questions; that’s where belief comes in.

 

That is a bit hard to swallow for scientists and engineers. Smiley Happy


Belief does not solve technological problems. Science does, which may be difficult for non-scientists to swallow.

 

Community Guru
Ravindra B Member Since: Sep 27, 2015
42 of 50

@Reinier B wrote:

 


@Ravindra B wrote:

@Vesna M wrote:

I think it's not a matter of belief, but facts, and science has a clear stand.


Vesna,

 

Science can’t answer all questions; that’s where belief comes in.

 

That is a bit hard to swallow for scientists and engineers. Smiley Happy


Belief does not solve technological problems. Science does, which may be difficult for non-scientists to swallow.

 


Of course. Talking in opposites can get confusing. Smiley Happy

 

BTW, I belong to the science fraternity.

"Certa bonum certamen"
Ace Contributor
Daniel C Member Since: Jul 22, 2016
43 of 50

I don't think the issue with Global Warming is whether it is real or not. It is.

 

I think the issue is whether or not there is a fair and cost-efficient way of dealing with the problem. Developed nations are the worst offenders when it comes to Greenhouse gas emissions. Despite this, they are the ones dictating how things should be.

 

Some countries still have to undergo industrialization. Is it really fair to ask them to curb emissions when so many people in those countries are still suffering with poverty and in need of jobs? I don't think so.

 

I don't believe the solution will come from governments. I'm always suspicious of top-down "one size fits all" solutions. What is most likely to happen is that scientists will come up with a solution to minimize the problem and people/businesses will adopt it because it's cheap.

Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
44 of 50

I just read today a title in local news portal named 'mass extinction' and it triggers a nice anxiety. 

____________
Don't correct my grammar!
Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
45 of 50

Vesna M wrote:

I just read today a title in local news portal named 'mass extinction' and it triggers a nice anxiety.

____________________________________________________________________________

 

Nice with anxiety-hmmmmmm.  Where is the thinking emoji when it's needed? 


 

Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
46 of 50

Pat M wrote:

Nice with anxiety-hmmmmmm.  Where is the thinking emoji when it's needed? 

I'm being ironical. Of course anxiety can't be nice. Smiley Happy

____________
Don't correct my grammar!
Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
47 of 50

Vesna M wrote:

Pat M wrote:

Nice with anxiety-hmmmmmm.  Where is the thinking emoji when it's needed? 

I'm being ironical. Of course anxiety can't be nice. Smiley Happy

_____________________________________________________________________

Vesna, of course I knew that. I was just attempting to be humorous; evidently my attempt failed. Smiley Sad 


 

This widget could not be displayed.
48 of 50
This widget could not be displayed.

Well, I'm in Chicago. It was 72 the other day. 

Andy-Griffith-snow-meme-220x165.jpg

 

I had to turn the heat back on this morning. 

I blame my generation for depleting the ozone layer with all the aerosol hairspray we used in the 80's. 

Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
49 of 50

Cairenn R wrote:

Well, I'm in Chicago. It was 72 the other day. 

Andy-Griffith-snow-meme-220x165.jpg

 

I had to turn the heat back on this morning. 

I blame my generation for depleting the ozone layer with all the aerosol hairspray we used in the 80's. 


Yeah, but totally worth it!

Community Guru
Hanna N Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
50 of 50

I was hosting karaoke last Saturday (this is what I do to pay for some extra shoes and to ensure I don't go mad just staring at the computer screen all day, every day), and there was an elderly gentleman that was quite upset about how the Greens were preaching about emissions. "There are only 6 million of us! 6! It doesn't matter if we all stop! They should go preach in India!" Being a little devil, I interjected their conversation and said that it's pretty hard to preach to indians that they need to cut emissions if you yourself use about 20 times the resources that an average indian does, it's sort of hypocritical. He then argued that it doesn't matter and that if manufacturing in Finland cuts down on emissions, stuff is gonna be so expensive that nobody will want to buy them. I followed that up saying that yes, stuff getting expensive does suck, and we could always choose to give people an incentive of buying stuff produced fairly by highlighting nastiness instead of goodness since it would probably be far more effective than saying "this was fair trade / organic / women made / great for your consciousness" and continued to surmise that if coffee produced in suspicious conditions would be labeled 'slave coffee' for example, I doubt many people would have the balls to buy it at the grocery stores. He felt this was a very poor example, and said I must be a Green, it is evident from the colour of my hair (which is currently pink). 

 

At that point I excited the conversation and went to sing a song called 'Finland phenomenom' (translated name) which talks about how engineers are the most intelligent people ever and that how curious it is that only in Finland, nuclear power has no downsides whatsoever.

 

He left the pub afterwards.

 

The butthurt surrounding the talk about climate change and energy production and everything related to it is, to me, a source of endless wonder and amusement.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS