🐈 Community

Gone back to regular work after freelancing?

Have you ever had a freelancing stint (say a yr or two or maybe more) and then got back to a regular job for some reason or the other? What is it like to return to office work after working independently for some time? 

7 REPLIES 7

Not really an office but research work. Currently in the process, so far seems to be pretty smooth. Used freelancing as  "entrepreneurship experience" for CV. I don't plan to drop lancing completely though it's no longer my main source of income.

lysis10

I went back after 3 years of freelancing (not upwork/elance). The recruiters give you a hard time for the gap in your resume. I started off low but moved up quickly by jumping jobs (only real way to increase your salary quickly). 

It was nice because I refreshed my programming skills, but had very low tolerance for corporate politics and the bs of meetings. Had one manager say "you have to do the same as everyone else." lol No I don't. I was always late, left early when I was at a good stopping point, and took a lot of fridays off. Oops, that doesn't go well with corporate I guess.

One of the recruiters tried to recruit me to the ebay office near me, but it was at least an hour drive. Told her that I would always be late and that they'd have to pay me $10k/year more just for the wear and tear on my car and she was like "uhhh, I can't." So I LOL'd at ebay and decided to go for full time freelancing after at least trying to assimilate in the real world.

Yes.  I worked as an on-site freelancer for four years.  Hurricane Katrina wrecked my office and ended my contracts.  So then I worked at lawfirms for another 6 or 7 years.  Hated every minute of it.  Like herding cats with bad tempers.

tlsanders

I went back to a regular full time job for a couple of years in 2006 after several years of freelancing. It was a fantastic experience in every way except that it ultimately took a toll on my health and put stress on my daughter for me to be working full time and commuting 2.5 hours/day as a single parent.

It was a very unique company, though--dogs welcome, music room, X-box in the break room (that people were actually encouraged to use), etc. Everyone in the company was smart and motivated and had something exciting going on the side (bands touring, films shooting, etc). It wasn't like any other work experience I've ever had, and I'm sure that if it had been more conventional the transition would have been much more difficult.

Yes, just got a desk job a few weeks ago. I haven't worked a 9-5 in hmmm 6 years. So it's been a transition. Oh and I've never had to do the whole commute.  Fakakta. No early afternoon naps. I feel guily about leaving my doggie all alone all day. Plus I'm still freelancing. Soon I will be back in school. Eff sleeping.

evetodew

After 4 years of freelancing, of which 1.5 years on Upwork, I keep receiving job offers (I'm not looking, they contact me), but I turn them down. I just can't accept to spend nearly 3 hrs commuting! That's 3 hrs of my day, during which I can be earning more money. Instead I waste them and not only that - I don't work, but I also don't get proper rest.

So, I take these 3 hrs as additional stress and a huge waste! That's one of the biggest motivations for me to keep pushing my business to make it more profitable than any possible salary. So, one day I won't even be thinking about going back to the office because no one will be able to meet my financial requirements.

I don't say it's shameful to resort to a fixed salary. It feels more like admitting defeat and accepting a limited income. Whereas if you structure your business well enough, you can earn unlimited amount of money over time. So, freelancing, if done right, can pay off many many times more. And you don't get to waste hours daily commuting.

I would say the commute is the WORST part, bar none. If I could walk (or drive even) to my job in 5-10 minutes, that'd be ideal. 

Learning Paths