🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Google Chrome
Page options
mwiggenhorn
Community Member

Google Chrome

AFter a couple of years using Google Chrome very happily, it now suddenly crashes often enough to be annoying.  I have to totally reboot every time.  I checked online and it doesn't seem to be a widespread issue.

Oddly, it seems to have started after the last Upwork large downtime work and only seems to happen when I have an Upwork tab open.  I keep a very clean computer, defrag and clean disk weekly, clear cache and cookies regularly, have good virus prevention and haven't added any new programs.

Is anybody else having this problem?  It's driving me crazy.

24 REPLIES 24
versailles
Community Member

Uninstall Chrome, reinstall Chrome.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

I guess I'll have to.  Pain in the tookus.

Done and done.  We'll see what happens.

lysis10
Community Member

yep... mine closes randomly with no warning. Started happening about a week ago. I added another 16GB to my machine because it was not doing well with Chrome+Visual Studio. There is no reason anymore for it to crash.

Sucks because I quit firefox for being bloatware after their 3.0 update. 

My paranoid self is whispering in my ear that it all started with the UP site work a couple of weeks ago.  I reloaded.  There is no reason for this to be happening in terms of connections, memory, etc.

Jenn, im not a VS user but i always thought it took like 2-3GB to run and 3-4GB to compile. what am i missing?

@Christopher B wrote:

Jenn, im not a VS user but i always thought it took like 2-3GB to run and 3-4GB to compile. what am i missing?

When I open VS and test in Chrome, my memory use spikes to 12-13GB in use and it keeps increasing. I now have 32GB installed, but haven't tested it out yet. 

yitwail
Community Member

Don't know about windows but in a Mac OS laptop, Chrome is a battery devourer, especially with numerous open tabs. So I replaced it with Opera, which is functionally equivalent to Chrome from what I can see, aside from not having the nifty webpage language translation feature. Opera can even run chrome extensions. But again this is with Mac OS. If there are win Opera users, maybe they can comment. While power usage may be irrelevant when you're plugged in, I expect it's consuming a lot of memory and/or CPU, which could result in erratic performance.

Actually, I uninstalled and reinstalled Chrome and it hasn't crashed since.  Hmmm.  Hopefully the fat lady has sung...

I have to use Chrome for my main contract, it's all I use it for and I had freezing / crashing issues last week, but it seems to have recovered.

I shut it down the second I am done with my work though, I really don't like it.

vdubeau
Community Member

begrudgingly use Chrome on my Mac but I would prefer to use Safari. My main work number is through Google Voice and I was having a lot of issues recently with the "phone" not ringing on my computer. It was very annoying to check my Gmail and find out that I have voicemail from an hour ago when the phone never rang.

Any way. Chrome runs fine but crashes when I close it about 50% of the time.

"Remember, no matter where you go, there you are."
Buckaroo Banzai

Since I deleted and reloaded Chrome, it has worked perfectly.  So there you go..

lysis10
Community Member

bumping for great justice

Chrome sucks now. r u srs chrome? I'm gonna go troll some chrome fanbois with this.

chromesucks.png

lysis10
Community Member

oh poop formatting... here it is attached so you can rage with me

I use Chrome and haven't had any recent issues, but I'm certainly keeping my eyes open for them now.

As a side note:

I'm jealous of your 32GB Jennifer.  Now my Daz Studio is whispering "upgrade... uppppgraddeeee" and I know I'm going to end up relenting.

~I am only here when I can tolerate having my eyes blasted, my privacy treated like a joke, and my temper pushed to it's limit. For all other times, please request alternate contact methods~

I've only had one freeze since I uninstalled and reinstalled Chrome.

I just upgrade mainly because Visual Studio and Chrome weren't being nice with each other. Once I opened VS, the memory usage spiked, so now I have 32GB and I gotta say it's well worth the $120 I spent. Tax writeoff!

lysis10
Community Member

I just posted in a private Google forum that chrome sucks and their programmers make me cry. Inb4 they pwn me hard with facts and things heeheee

yitwail
Community Member

Jennifer, I'll give MSFT its due. Even in Macs, VS Code is slick. I'd like to use Atom, but Atom gobbles resources like Chrome.

@John K wrote:

Jennifer, I'll give MSFT its due. Even in Macs, VS Code is slick. I'd like to use Atom, but Atom gobbles resources like Chrome.

I dabbled with Android/Java and Eclipse just doesn't have it compared to VS. I love VS. I want to get into Unity. I know nothing about it at all but I'd like to take a course on it. Still need to sign up for Pluralsight but I have been so busy that I can't even work on my private projects.

reinierb
Community Member

Wow! $120 for 16 GB?

I want move to the USA, because here, $120 will maybe get you 4 GB if you know someone who knows someone who can do memory upgrades on the "cheap". As a walk-in customer into the average computer repair shop, you are more likely to get only 2 GB for $120. 

lysis10
Community Member

@Reinier B wrote:

Wow! $120 for 16 GB?

I want move to the USA, because here, $120 will maybe get you 4 GB if you know someone who knows someone who can do memory upgrades on the "cheap". As a walk-in customer into the average computer repair shop, you are more likely to get only 2 GB for $120. 

lol that was with 2 day shipping too. lol (Maybe overnight actually... can't remember) IIRC, shipping cost me $30. I bought it at NewEgg which I don't think is the cheapest vendor out there, but they make returns easy and I have to admit they underpromise with shipping and usually get my stuff to me before the promise it.

inam-rao
Community Member

Same problem with me  even i open my upwork account  in microsoft edge microsoft edge show same problem

Hi Inam,

Could you please send me a private message with more information about this along with the screenshots from your end so that I can check and assist you further?

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths