🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Re: Got to be honest working hard to leave he...
Page options
ri3dviz
Community Member

Got to be honest working hard to leave here, enough gouging.

Well, I've been here from the beginning but the last straw was charging us to apply for jobs. It was a slap in the face to take 20% of our fees but the paid connects is the last straw. I have 40 years of experience and only use Upwork to fill in my calendar when I have no outside clients. But it is now paying less than minimum wage on most jobs. Sorry guys, you want people like me here but you don't do anything to keep us.

To you clients out there, your available pool of talent will shirnk due to Upworks policy of penalizing the work force and not distributing the burden equally among client and freelancer.

7 REPLIES 7
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

I don't understand why you're only charging $25/hour; you could at least double that and then the connects charge would be insignificant.

You didn't address why Upwork can't have the client share the burden by charging them to post a job. I'll tell you they'll NEVER do that because they know they can abuse the freelancers since they're hungry.

Robert - Upwork already does not have enough clients so charging them to post a job will just mean they will lose clients. In addition, Upwork has too many freelancers. Upwork is trying to stay in business instead of losing money. Is that hard to understand?

There's a answer to that. Make sure to set standards for the freelancers, have only qualified freelancers in a given field, the client will win by having a smaller talent pool but more qualified. It's just a money grab business model, I'm no idiot I've been in business 40 plus years.

Last year 2018, Upwork said 375,000 freelancers earned money working with 475,000 clients.

I guess you're wrong.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi All,

A few posts have been removed from this thread and it will be closed from further replies. As a gentle reminder, please be mindful of the Community Guidelines when posting in the Community.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
abinadab-agbo
Community Member

Robert I wrote:

Well, I've been here from the beginning but the last straw was charging us to apply for jobs. It was a slap in the face to take 20% of our fees but the paid connects is the last straw. I have 40 years of experience and only use Upwork to fill in my calendar when I have no outside clients. But it is now paying less than minimum wage on most jobs. Sorry guys, you want people like me here but you don't do anything to keep us.

To you clients out there, your available pool of talent will shirnk due to Upworks policy of penalizing the work force and not distributing the burden equally among client and freelancer.

You did well.

It is never advised to make your business dependent on one source. It's just too risky.

The best approach is to make Upwork dispensable for you.

Then any day (be it once in a blue moon) that you manage to land a gig on here (be it once in a blue moon), all good; you do it.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths