Happy National Lobster Day!

Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
1 of 27

Lobster

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 27

I could eat only lobster for the rest of my days....

I remember when I had just arrived in Italy a friend was visiting and we went to a local seafood restaurant and of course did not understand most of what was on the menu, we decided (as it was my birthday) we'd order the most expensive item on the menu having no clue what it would be... It was a lobster dish and one of the most amazing dishes ever

Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
3 of 27

I love them, too. In colonial America, they were not prized. Native Americans used them mostly for fertilizer and bait, eating them only when nothing else was available. Colonists fed them to prisoners, apprentices, slaves, and children. There were laws in some places mandating the maximum number of meals per week that indentured servants and prisoners could be fed lobsters. It wasn't considered a delicacy in America until the early 20th century.

Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
4 of 27

Sadly, the Gulf waters around me are way too warm for lobsters so they are terribly expensive here, even frozen (ugh).  I just eat crawfish and pretend they're tiny little lobsters.  And Royal Red shrimp, which come from a couple hundred miles out, really do taste like little lobsters but they're expensive because they come from so far out. If you ever seen Royal Reds on the  menu, get them.  Wonderful.

Community Guru
5 of 27

Petra R wrote:

I remember when I had just arrived in Italy a friend was visiting and we went to a local seafood restaurant and of course did not understand most of what was on the menu, we decided (as it was my birthday) we'd order the most expensive item on the menu having no clue what it would be... It was a lobster dish and one of the most amazing dishes ever

I just found a picture... (only I would sit at a dinner table with my camera round my neck...)

lobster.jpg

Community Leader
Valerio S Member Since: Oct 13, 2017
6 of 27

Omg Petra, you just made me realize I really need to go back home and spend as much time as possible eating.

Community Guru
7 of 27

Valerio S wrote:

Omg Petra, you just made me realize I really need to go back home and spend as much time as possible eating.

Indeed.

Especially considering how much cheaper / better value for money eating out is here.

Community Leader
Valerio S Member Since: Oct 13, 2017
8 of 27

Petra R wrote:

Indeed.

Especially considering how much cheaper / better value for money eating out is here.

Ah don't make me think about that, I'm afraid it will be another year before I will manage to go back!

By the way, those are definitely cherry tomatoes.

Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
9 of 27

Petra R wrote:

Petra R wrote:

I just found a picture... (only I would sit at a dinner table with my camera round my neck...)

lobster.jpg

Petra, it does look amazing! Is the red tomatoes, peppers ???

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much easier taking photos on our cell phones these days; isn't it?

Community Guru
10 of 27

Pat M wrote:

Petra R wrote:

lobster.jpg

Petra, it does look amazing! Is the red tomatoes, peppers ???

I think it was tomatos. At any rate it was super delicious. I had no idea what a pasta dish really is until I came here...

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS