🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Happy National Lobster Day!
Page options
purplepony
Community Member

Happy National Lobster Day!

Lobster

26 REPLIES 26
petra_r
Community Member

I could eat only lobster for the rest of my days....

I remember when I had just arrived in Italy a friend was visiting and we went to a local seafood restaurant and of course did not understand most of what was on the menu, we decided (as it was my birthday) we'd order the most expensive item on the menu having no clue what it would be... It was a lobster dish and one of the most amazing dishes ever

I love them, too. In colonial America, they were not prized. Native Americans used them mostly for fertilizer and bait, eating them only when nothing else was available. Colonists fed them to prisoners, apprentices, slaves, and children. There were laws in some places mandating the maximum number of meals per week that indentured servants and prisoners could be fed lobsters. It wasn't considered a delicacy in America until the early 20th century.

Sadly, the Gulf waters around me are way too warm for lobsters so they are terribly expensive here, even frozen (ugh).  I just eat crawfish and pretend they're tiny little lobsters.  And Royal Red shrimp, which come from a couple hundred miles out, really do taste like little lobsters but they're expensive because they come from so far out. If you ever seen Royal Reds on the  menu, get them.  Wonderful.

petra_r
Community Member

Petra R wrote:

I remember when I had just arrived in Italy a friend was visiting and we went to a local seafood restaurant and of course did not understand most of what was on the menu, we decided (as it was my birthday) we'd order the most expensive item on the menu having no clue what it would be... It was a lobster dish and one of the most amazing dishes ever

I just found a picture... (only I would sit at a dinner table with my camera round my neck...)

lobster.jpg

Omg Petra, you just made me realize I really need to go back home and spend as much time as possible eating.

Valerio S wrote:

Omg Petra, you just made me realize I really need to go back home and spend as much time as possible eating.

Indeed.

Especially considering how much cheaper / better value for money eating out is here.

Petra R wrote:

Indeed.

Especially considering how much cheaper / better value for money eating out is here.

Ah don't make me think about that, I'm afraid it will be another year before I will manage to go back!

By the way, those are definitely cherry tomatoes.

Petra R wrote:

Petra R wrote:

I just found a picture... (only I would sit at a dinner table with my camera round my neck...)

lobster.jpg

Petra, it does look amazing! Is the red tomatoes, peppers ???

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much easier taking photos on our cell phones these days; isn't it?

Pat M wrote:

Petra R wrote:

lobster.jpg

I think it was tomatos. At any rate it was super delicious. I had no idea what a pasta dish really is until I came here...

Petra R wrote:

Pat M wrote:

Petra R wrote:

lobster.jpg

I think it was tomatos. At any rate it was super delicious. I had no idea what a pasta dish really is until I came here...

So, Italian pasta dishes are better than Kraft Mac and Cheese; even the Deluxe version? haha

wow! its looking yummy how can I reach it ?

Petra R wrote:

I could eat only lobster for the rest of my days....

Petra, oftentimes we actually do get what we pay for; don't we?

jodypm
Community Member

Pat M wrote:

Lobster

I don't know about anyone else, but I just have a strong urge to name this particular lobster. Can I propose, "Rocky?" Or is that just too obvious?

Jody P wrote:

Pat M wrote:

Lobster

I don't know about anyone else, but I just have a strong urge to name this particular lobster. Can I propose, "Rocky?" Or is that just too obvious?

Well, that particular lobster is already cooked, so I would just call it lunch.

Yes, indeed.

Lobsters, crabs, oysters, and sushi ... and proper bread.  I could live on nothing else ....

Wendy C wrote:

Lobsters, crabs, oysters, and sushi ... and proper bread.  I could live on nothing else ....

and shrimp

And Louisiana farm-raised crawfish.

and wine.

Mary, if you can invent a way to eat crawfish and maintain a modicum of  dignity you would make a fortune.

Yes, I love them ... and look comparable to a toddler learning to feed himself ...

@ Pat, and champagne and Langostinos.

Wendy C wrote:

Mary, if you can invent a way to eat crawfish and maintain a modicum of  dignity you would make a fortune.

Yes, I love them ... and look comparable to a toddler learning to feed himself ...

@ Pat, and champagne and Langostinos.

Wendy, agreed! Within my thought process of adding wines I was also thinking of champagne as I'm one of those that consider champagne to be a sparkling wine.

Hmmm, could probably start a new thread on that topic. Maybe some other time. haha  

Wendy C wrote:

Wendy, I'll pass on the oysters and sushi; totally agree with you on the bread!

Wendy C wrote:

Yes, yes, yes, and yes. But while I have to put the brakes on the proper bread, as you say, I'm all for the most Sushi that I can get. The sad part about Sushi, however, is that it can be hard to find really good Sushi -- and that often starts with finding just the right balance of the rice not being packed too tightly and the fish being fresh. Sometimes this is why I might go for the Sashimi instead.

Never heard of Lobster Day before. Does it really exist, or is it a fantasy?

Fancy posting a photo of your Mother on Mother's Day, and everyone starting exchanging on how good mothers taste, what gravy to use, best recipe...

Luce, it's legit: https://nationaldaycalendar.com/days-2/national-lobster-day-june-15/

Were you a lobster in a previous life? Smiley LOL

Pat M wrote:

Luce, it's legit: https://nationaldaycalendar.com/days-2/national-lobster-day-june-15/

Were you a lobster in a previous life? Smiley LOL

Thanks for the info, Pat! Yes, this lobster day looks pretty official. 

Sorry, I have no recollection of my previous life. Nice of you to ask me about it. Thanks.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths